Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are certain things inappropriate in a relationship? Are boundaries bad?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

This is such a good reply. Can't believe that just came across it! Been missing out on much of foo's words of wisdom it seems!

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion, however impracticable it may be
    Consider squaring this ‘relationships-light’ prescriptive with the matrimonial cornerstone: Love, honour, obey
    They can be friends, sometimes even friends in a sense that never deviates from the strictly platonic, but this is very rare, and exceptionally rare where girls who are above average in the looks department are concerned, as males are hardwired to hanker after a wide variety of women a la the urge to ‘spread the seed’

They only tend to make a particular effort* when there’s more than a pure, platonic interest there, aye. A small minority of guys are just genuinely friendly and not at all subject to hormones that (periodically) drive them to lust after female companions

Don’t be fooled, many girls understand this, they just prefer not to engage with the truth; more often than not this relates, as you say, to the fact that they like the ego boost/mild thrills involved, plus social/reputational tokens associated with others knowing they have fanboys. Girls are often far more socially intelligent than they let on (unfortunately acting dumb has become a thing, in youth culture), and generally streets ahead of young guys!

If sobriety is all that is stopping you from cheating then the problem is not drinking, it’s you. People are weak/immature/ignorant and get into inappropriate relationships only to wind up cheating and using things like alcohol as an excuse. Never once have I been tempted whether tipsy or not to cheat on a partner, but then I only had my first serious relationship in my mid 20’s so I had done a lot of growing up by the time I was in positions in which I may have been tempted, so I suppose I am viewing this through the prism of maturity/having one’s **** together/knowing what one wants

Respect is everything. As above, love, honour, obey = respect

Doesn’t matter whether they’re new random friends or step brothers they’ve known their whole life, as I said it’s about the type of male you’re dealing with vs. how attractive your girl is

Bottom line: If you know your partner wouldn’t be impressed (were they present), just don’t go there

• Sexual health?

• Emotional infidelity?

• Relationship stability?

• Capacity/incentive to invest in a high quality relationship e.g. particularly one with a future?

• Providing a sound and sustainable inter-relational basis for future matrimony/family?

• Avoiding psychosexual harm associated with high risk/promiscuous behaviour?

• Mitigating other psychological/physiological harm associated with a (vulnerable) girl potentially putting herself in harms way?

• Self-worth and self-respect?

• Expectations of others (e.g. family/friends) and their acceptance/rejection of your partner vs. social reputations?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.