The Student Room Group

Got UUUU in AQA A2 Science Subjects!!!??? How is that possible!!!???

Hi,
I am a private candidate with AQA and I just got my results back and got UUUU. That is,

U - Chemistry AS+A2
U - Biology AS+A2
U - Pure Mathematics AS+A2
U - Physics AS

I don't understand how this is even possible. In my mocks, I was getting seemingly good grades (A's and B's). I had no problem sitting the real exams and everything in the papers seemed natural because before every exam I would attempt a timed paper from the last summer series (June 2015) independently and get mostly A's or B's. I have read that people have come back with unexpected low marks with AQA humanities, but not sciences. Can anybody relate to this?

Should I consider re-marking even though science subjects are less subjective than the humanities subjects? I am really considering re-marking but because I have some University places pending I have to do Priority re-marking which is quite pricey and will add up to about 800 pounds!!!!

If anyone has any tips or is in the same situation as I am please reply!!!
Original post by antoman788
Hi,
I am a private candidate with AQA and I just got my results back and got UUUU. That is,

U - Chemistry AS+A2
U - Biology AS+A2
U - Physics AS

I don't understand how this is even possible. In my mocks, I was getting seemingly good grades (A's and B's). I had no problem sitting the real exams and everything in the papers seemed natural because before every exam I would attempt a timed paper from the last summer series (June 2015) independently and get mostly A's or B's. I have read that people have come back with unexpected low marks with AQA humanities, but not sciences. Can anybody relate to this?

Should I consider re-marking even though science subjects are less subjective than the humanities subjects? I am really considering re-marking but because I have some University places pending I have to do Priority re-marking which is quite pricey and will add up to about 800 pounds!!!!

As it's across the board I'd just get the paper back so you can have a look and see exactly where you went wrong. Not sure what grades you need to get into uni but I'm guessing they'd all have to go up a lot of marks to reach it, which is highly unlikely across all 4 subjects. Best of luck and I hope you figure out what went wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Butterfly9595
As it's across the board I'd just get the paper back so you can have a look and see exactly where you went wrong. Not sure what grades you need to get into uni but I'm guessing they'd all have to go up a lot of marks to reach it, which is highly unlikely across all 4 subjects. Best of luck and I hope you figure out what went wrong!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. I am applying to the University of Pavia in Italy and they require at least 3 C's at GCSE and 3 C's at A-Level to be eligible to enter the course of Medicine in English after attempting the International Medical Admission Test entrance exam. I achieved really well in my GCSE exams but yet cannot achieve the borderline minimum to even be eligible for a CERTIFICATE!!!!??? I find that very hard to believe
Hi,

U - Chemistry AS+A2
U - Biology AS+A2
U - Physics AS

Remarks are not going to improve all U to all C or better unless there has been the most unlikely mix up imaginable.
First if you don't have it already, I would ask the exams office for a breakdown of marks for every unit you took. Make sure a result has been recorded for each unit and there hasn't been any kind of admin mix up.
Then I would ask for priority copies of several papers from each subject where you expected to do OK but have been awarded a poor mark. Engage the support of an experienced tutor to review your answers and help you understand why they have been marked as they have. If you can't afford a tutor you could post some of your marked answers in the relevant subject forums where experienced students or in some cases teachers may be able to advise you. Maths is very black and white, your answers are either right or wrong and mark schemes are clear about how method marks are awarded. Biology and to a lesser extend chemistry require good exam technique, you might think your answer is ok and means the same as the answer in a mark scheme but if it is not accurate, precise and detailed enough it may not earn you the marks on offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Remarks are not going to improve all U to all C or better unless there has been the most unlikely mix up imaginable.
First if you don't have it already, I would ask the exams office for a breakdown of marks for every unit you took. Make sure a result has been recorded for each unit and there hasn't been any kind of admin mix up.
Then I would ask for priority copies of several papers from each subject where you expected to do OK but have been awarded a poor mark. Engage the support of an experienced tutor to review your answers and help you understand why they have been marked as they have. If you can't afford a tutor you could post some of your marked answers in the relevant subject forums where experienced students or in some cases teachers may be able to advise you. Maths is very black and white, your answers are either right or wrong and mark schemes are clear about how method marks are awarded. Biology and to a lesser extend chemistry require good exam technique, you might think your answer is ok and means the same as the answer in a mark scheme but if it is not accurate, precise and detailed enough it may not earn you the marks on offer.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I will look into that. Thanks
Reply 5
Thread starter - PLEASE BE CAREFUL ORDERING SCRIPTS! You want a COPY of the script you wrote! If you get the ORIGINAL, you CANT REMARK!!

Im guessing you might not know this as a indepent exam taker with no exams officer, so I don't want you to be stuck with no remarks!!
Im in a similar situation aswell. im a private candidate got DEE in my maths A2 modules where as in practise papers i was getting way more than that and Also had AAB in my AS modules. Going to request a copy of my papers back
I would ask for a COPY of the scripts with the utmost ugency, and get in touch with your exam centre. This smells a lot like an admin mess-up.
Hi,

U - Chemistry AS+A2
U - Biology AS+A2
U - Physics AS

Are you trolling?
Before I can give you advice on what to do next year I need to ask, how did you revise this yesr? Did you revise at all?
Hi,

U - Chemistry AS+A2
U - Biology AS+A2
U - Physics AS

Wow, Did you do both AS and A2 for 3 of your subjects in one year?!! That seems like a really big work load to me!!
Reply 10
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Are you trolling?
Before I can give you advice on what to do next year I need to ask, how did you revise this yesr? Did you revise at all?

I revised at home with AQA approved textbooks and received quite a lot of help from the science lecturers at the college where I took the exam. The lecturers said that I did quite well on the practical coursework assessments, but yet I ended up with marks of as little as 10 UMS out of 60 for my practical assessments in the sciences (both AS+A2). This seems to be too low to be legitimate.
Reply 11
I did GCSE Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English Language and Mathematics, and got BBBCC respectively
Reply 12
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Are you trolling?

I revised at home with AQA approved textbooks and received quite a lot of help from the science lecturers at the college where I took the exam. The lecturers said that I did quite well on the practical coursework assessments, but yet I ended up with marks of as little as 10 UMS out of 60 for my practical assessments in the sciences (both AS+A2). This seems to be too low to be legitimate.

It's possible the marks were adjusted by the exam board- - it's something you really need to get in touch with the college about.
Reply 14
Hi,

U - Chemistry AS+A2
U - Biology AS+A2
U - Physics AS

Sorry to bother you but I want to ask what did you went wrong? Have you received the scripts back? What is your plan for next year?

Quick Reply

Latest