The Student Room Group

Why are halls so expensive?

So I've been given a place at a hall and i've paid my deposit and completed the application.

However... when sitting down and working out my finances/ budget i've realised just how expensive this halls is.

I'm seeing private rented accomadation only at £77/week compared to my halls which is £126/ week. Even with the bills on top of the £77/week i still could be saving myself £1,000 for the year.

I would like to stay in halls but the price just seems a little steep - please correct me if i'm wrong.
I'm renting a 3 bedroom house in Durham for about that amount.

Is food included? That makes it slightly better but student accommodation is a well-known cash cow.
Reply 2
Original post by Supersaps
I'm renting a 3 bedroom house in Durham for about that amount.

Is food included? That makes it slightly better but student accommodation is a well-known cash cow.

It's a self-catered halls- no food included.

Halls are so expensive it's silly.
Original post by cdude
So I've been given a place at a hall and i've paid my deposit and completed the application.

However... when sitting down and working out my finances/ budget i've realised just how expensive this halls is.

I'm seeing private rented accomadation only at £77/week compared to my halls which is £126/ week. Even with the bills on top of the £77/week i still could be saving myself £1,000 for the year.

I would like to stay in halls but the price just seems a little steep - please correct me if i'm wrong.

Halls is indeed quite a lot more expensive, but there are several advantages - all bills are included (water, electricity, gas and high-speed internet), the cleaning of common areas (the kitchen, bathrooms and en-suites) is included, there's 24/7 security and likely-better 'customer service'. If something breaks in halls, or you lose your key, the issue will be resolved quickly, whereas that wouldn't necessarily be the case when renting privately.
Original post by cdude
It's a self-catered halls- no food included.
Halls are so expensive it's silly.

It's completely ridiculous. At least, it's only for 1 year.

I found that by moving 3 miles outside of Durham centre I could afford a house rather than a room...
they charge so much because they can basically

first year students are so worried about missing out and will find it difficult to organise an alternative (plus many don't understand finances well enough at that point to know it's expensive) so they charge whatever because they know people will still pay it
Original post by cdude

Hello :smile:

The reason university accommodation is so expensive is down the fact you are paying you bills for the entire year (obviously), water, gas, internet and what not, and then at the same time, you are paying the salaries of the people who clean your accommodation which in student housing and private accommodation, you don't usually get - if that makes sense?

There are a lot of benefits of living in halls and this is why it's so expensive as oppose to living in student accommodation.

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending