The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ergh no
Original post by The_Opinion
I see that @Alevelstress is still posting non-stop about Islam whilst pretending to not be a Muslim.

Have you got proof that I'm not a Muslim? I am atheist and I detest all religion, but I am also a realist, and I know that religion isn't going to magically disappear overnight, even if I hate it to death.
Definitely not signing. Muslims don't need a call to prayer to know when it's time and the petition is futile. People aren't allowed to play loud music on the streets and such so why would the Islamic call to prayer be exempt from that, more so in a non-Islamic country? :toofunny:
(edited 7 years ago)
No thank you. Turn your tv on and go onto a prayer channel and listen to it. I don't think a loud call is needed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by catgirlcatgirl
I completely sympathise with your petition. I believe that all religions should be treated equally- why should the Christian call to prayer be allowed (ie. bell ringing) when the Muslim version is not. I just wish the UK could become even more excepting of diversity.

What? Firstly, bell ringing is barely heard and secondly, it's not a call to prayer. Christians, unlike Muslims, don't need to pray at specific times or in particular places.
Kinda pointless, it'll just frustrate non-Muslims and isn't fair on them.

Plus we can download apps that give a reminder for each prayer, so it's not even necessary for Muslims.
(edited 7 years ago)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/132191

Rather stick a rusty nail in my pee hole

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amylaraman
I'm not sure how I feel about this. As much as I appreciate people's freedom of religion, church bells ringing are annoying enough as it is. Maybe i'm the wrong person to talk about this. I hate noise. I don't know. If Christians are allowed churchbells (basically their call to prayer) shouldn't Muslims be given the same rights? I mean isn't it discrimination otherwise. Like our right to express ourselves and whatever religion we do or do not believe is part of our freedom. What does everyone else think?

I think the bells could be argued as somewhat okay because the UK used to be a Christian country, so the historic links are there. But we have never been or never will be an Islamic country
Original post by Dysto
God, we should be moving towards secularity and not this abomination.

I find with often with fanatics that they often compete with each other to out zealot each other, it's especially common in Islam that people need to prove that they are the most religious of them all? I don't know, you don't need a ****ing call to praise your God, same way I don't need to be told when it's time to ****ing eat.

Oh don't worry, there's no way this is going to be passed. Even if it gets enough signatures for a parliamentary debate it'll get thrown out after 2 minutes of discussion.
Original post by amylaraman
I'm not sure how I feel about this. As much as I appreciate people's freedom of religion, church bells ringing are annoying enough as it is. Maybe i'm the wrong person to talk about this. I hate noise. I don't know. If Christians are allowed churchbells (basically their call to prayer) shouldn't Muslims be given the same rights? I mean isn't it discrimination otherwise. Like our right to express ourselves and whatever religion we do or do not believe is part of our freedom. What does everyone else think?

I don't agree, we have no obligation to give all religions and cultures equal dominance, otherwise our own native and historical culture and traditions would disappear. The UK is a Christian country and church bells are barely ever heard. The adhan would be several times a day, loud and annoying, there's no way it's happening.
Doesn't matte if you think its beautiful or not, you wouldn't like your neighbours playing their music loud enough for the whole neighbourhood to hear 5 times a day so Muslims should be equally as respectful. if you want to hear it loudly then play it on your phones and plug your headphones in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nah m8 nah
Sounds nice though
We live in a diverse, multicultural society. Allowing minorities to express their religion should be encouraged and welcomed. So long as it isn't anti-social, why shouldn't people be allowed to express their religious beliefs in this way?
Original post by Iridocyclitis
We live in a diverse, multicultural society. Allowing minorities to express their religion should be encouraged and welcomed. So long as it isn't anti-social, why shouldn't people be allowed to express their religious beliefs in this way?

Because non-Muslims would never be afforded the same courtesy if they were the minority.
Original post by alevelstresss
Neither are 1.6 billion Muslims

but apparently their ideological connection makes them personally responsible for the actions of hateful people who have no care for the rest of Muslims.

OH NO

alevelstresss and his 1.6 billion Muslims are back.

Everybody run from his superior argumentation skills.
Original post by Iridocyclitis

Ok sure we do, you can freely go to a mosque and pray. But we do not need a call.
Sure we have a bell but that normally goes on the hour so is kinda useful and it only lasts for a short time and is a part of our culture.

How would it not be anti social?
Sitting down so how was school yester AMUUUUUUUADHAHSDBWDNASNDPANSDOANSDONASODNANSADLNAKDNAOSDNNAPDASNDOPASDMAKDPNASKDA.
Yeah we don't want this,

You have a right to practice your religion but you no way need a call.
Original post by McDonough
As much as it pains me to say, a move like this might continue to fuel the already growing far right in this country. Thinking about it pragmatically, it's not a good time to introduce something like this sadly.

It never will be.

The sooner religions are banned from the public sphere the better.
This roughly translates to "I hate Islam so I am uncomfortable with this proposal"

The non-Muslim Muslim lover strikes again with "you hate Islam". What a classic.
Strangely I agree that we shouldn't have Islamic prayer calls, simply because I've been to Muslim countries and they are a bit noisy, that in a large residential area full of people of all kinds of religions would be unfairly popular of Islam and negligent of other peoples' needs.

But the justification many people are giving here is inherently Islamophobic and bigoted, making up some nonsense about how its 'dominating'.

So something you find a "bit noisy", others find dominating. But of course you are right, and they are not only wrong but immediately Islamophobic and bigoted.

You're superior powers of logic and reasoning strike yet again.

Latest

Trending

Trending