Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

DESPERATE help needed

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I'm stuck in the worst situation possible. When I finished my GCSE's I had reasonable results (3 A's and 9 or 10 A*-C or something) and then I chose a reasonable school. I had better options, but I was incredibly dumb and sacrificed opportunities to stay with most of my friends. Bad decision. (If you're in secondary and reading this, don't make your friends a consideration- at all.)

I coasted in my sixth form. I never outperformed. I put priorities in the wrong places. I had a **** routine.

I didn't fail sixth form, but I failed relatively. In a relative sense, I failed massively. I applied for the University of Reading among others for economics, and I was glad to see they accepted me. I made them my first choice. I was predicted an AAB.

But I didn't achieve. I knew I didn't. My parents put so much into me and I failed them as well. I went onto Track on the morning of the 18th and was totally distraught to see that Reading has not accepted me. I went to college to pick up my results. I did not even open them until I went home as I was simply too depressed.

When I opened my results around 10am the inevitable happened - I underachieved. By a very wide margin, and unfortunately that reflected the lack of work in the past year.

I got BCD. That's 240 points. That's not enough to get into a good university where I will have prospects in life. That's not enough to get a good apprenticeship in the finance/accounting industry which is what I was aiming for such as KPMG or Deloitte. Apprenticeships don't even open at this season.

240 UCAS points ... That's manual unskilled work for life. Just for a few majir mistakes in a single crucial year.

But I am determined to fix that, the problem is I have nor resources or placements to give me that opportunity.

I was pondering several get-out prospects. A deferred year to retake and look for apprenticeships as a backup... But I'm not able to get a deferred year, and with my results I have little chances on next year's UCAS anyway.

Ideally my life saver would be University of Portsmouth. I want to study economics, and they have a good record, a close location and ideal facilities (f.e Bloomberg Suites) ... But they're fully subscribed courses, and my grades won't get me q place anyway.

I thought of one idea that would allow me to transform my life to correct those wrongs and show I am worth more than 240 UCAS points. It would be to stay in Sixth Form for another year, retake my exams and apply for UCAS 2017 entry. But I don't mean another shot with no changes just to see if I can be better. I CAN be better, and I mean putting priorities inthe right places and making the most of educational resources.

Is a third year recommended in my awful position, and would universities such as Reading look down on me if I was a three-year student? Even if I manage to correct those mistakes?

I also have another issue and I'm not sure if it applies to me. There seems to be a 'cap' on A level retakes. Does this include AS- level?

(Original post by Southeastern1)
    I also have another issue and I'm not sure if it applies to me. There seems to be a 'cap' on A level retakes. Does this include AS- level?
    If you don;t fancy any of your 'non-degree' options, ie get a job or find an apprenticeship, then you have to resit. If resitting means that some universities and employers won't look at you or will set higher offers, then so be it, nothing you can do, you screwed up and will take 3 years to get A levels. Not everyone will take a dim view and you will still have options.

The trick is to find out the facts, not listen to rumour, cliche and assumption, and then plan the best route for you, even if it is no longer the 'ideal' route you were looking at.

What I would advise is that it is usually better, in the long term, to take an extra year now and get into a better quality university/degree programme, than feel you need to rush now and pick anything available in Clearing. As you've already noticed 'sticking with your mates' is rarely a sensible strategy for advancing a career.

And I'm absolutely prepared to transform myself and my grades, my one and only issue is that I think Ofqual bans more than one resit, which means I cannot retake AS levels that were crucial in my failure. Is this one resit cap true and does it apply to AS?

My school signs everybody up for resits unless they got A's because it 'can only be better and not worse' .... Its a factory, and I was never told that I am capped to one resit.

FFS, its only a shame I didn't take this attitude at the beginning of last year instead.

Any other help? Is the resit cap a thing?

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.