The Student Room Group
Reply 1
roya
hi everyone, i'm still in two minds whther to do french or spanish a level. i am equally good at both and predicted a*'s in both of them. i decided not to do both languages becuase i do not intend to do pure languages at uni so decided to do history as i enjoy it and am good at it and in order to have an essay subject, which is more impressive for universities.

so which one do you reccomend and why?

thanks

In all fairness, you're the only person who can make the right choice as people will always be biased towards their own language! (Which is most definitely why you should ditch both and do German :p:).

Anyway, seriously now.. according to your predictions you're equally capable in both languages, so in my opinion you should just simply choose the one that you find interesting and enjoy the most. You should also consider which area you'd want to spend time in during your year abroad. (Spanish opens up a whole host of opportunities in South America as well as Spain, whereas French also gives you Québec).

As far as which will be most impressive for university applications, I'd be fairly confident in saying they are both equal to each other, although you should really choose subjects that you want to do instead of how much weight they'll carry whilst applying to university. :smile:

I'm not sure how helpful that all is, so I'm sorry if I've rambled! Any more questions feel free to ask.
If you're equally good at both, all you can really do is choose based on how much you enjoy them. Do you prefer one language to the other? Does the society/culture/history/literature of one interest you more than the other? Do you like one country more than the other? If your school/college uses different exam boards or options, you could see which one suits you more.
Reply 3
French all the way! lol slightly biased here though!
Reply 4
I'd say French, but I'm a French worshipper so I'm being a little biased. :wink:
Reply 5
French..it's just a nicer sounding language (it's all the soft 'j' sounds lol sounds lovely)

then again like everyone else in this thread i'm totally biased
Terazzio
French..it's just a nicer sounding language (it's all the soft 'j' sounds lol sounds lovely)

then again like everyone else in this thread i'm totally biased

This thread's about a month old... please don't resurrect old threads, they just clutter the place up. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending