Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Medicine - Which university with my average UKCAT and AS Levels?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

I'm applying for Medicine for 2017 entry. I'm not sure which universitites to apply for based on my AS and UKCAT results.

GCSE's - 8 A*'s (Maths, Welsh (2nd Language), Triple Science, Computer Science, Geography, French) and 3 A's (English Literature, English Language and Business Studies).

AS Level's - A in Biol, A in Geog, B in Chem and B in Maths. I'm also doing the Welsh Baccalaureate but that's an A - Level. I was orginally planning to drop Geography and then continue with the other 4 - Welsh Bacc is compulsory in my school, some universities accept it as a part of their offer some don't, nevertheless I'm not allowed to drop it. I've been told that maybe I rethink dropping geography. I plan to resit one Maths exam which if I get an A in will bump the whole grade up to an A, I am also resitting at least one of my Chem exams, again to bump it up to an A - I will resit these May/June next year. Are these good enough for Medicine?

UKCAT - sat the day before results day, only started revision a week before so results aren't great:-
    VR - 600
    QR - 650
    AR - 730
    SJ - Band 1

May sit the BMAT for UCL/Imperial.
    Work Experience - 2 days at GP Surgery, 1 week at larger GP surgery (with house calls, minor surgery, clinics etc), 2 days at hospital (allowed into theatre), volunteering at elderly care home weekly for 1.5 years, volunteering at Girl Guiding Rainbows/Brownies, going back for my 3rd year in Sept and then volunteer weekly in local hospital for 1.5yrs.
    What universities don't put much weight on the UKCAT/AS? Which uni's shall I avoid?

I'm looking at to Cardiff, Edinburgh, possibly Manchester, Exeter, UCL, Imperial. Any others that I've just overlooked?

Thank you

imperial is probably one of the top unis to go to for medicine.. also Uni of Birmingham is really good too, another one for medicine is University of Edinburgh although that's really far away.
    You have an excellent set of results and if you keep it up im sure whichever uni you'll go to will be glad to have you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.