The Student Room Group

Anyone Studying Access to Health (Including Nursing and Midwifery)?

Hi all,

I'm starting an Access to Health course in September with the hope of going to university next year to study Adult Nursing.

I'm hoping to find some people doing this course to share experiences with :smile:

I'm going to be a mature student at 24 and am a little bit nervous about going back into education but I'm really excited to get started!

Hope to hear back from some of you lovely folk :smile:
Reply 1
Ahh I loved access! I proper loved it. Miss it even now. Youl learn so much and your confidence academically will soar. It can be hard but perfectly manageable. Youl make lots of new friends hoping to do the same as you and youl learn so much about nursing as a profession also xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello :smile: I am also 24 and start the access to nursing and midwifery course in September. Similar to you, both nervous and excited :redface:
Reply 3
Do you know what modules you'll be doing? I am starting mine in a couple of days with the distance learning centre - technically it's a diploma in "Allied Healthcare Professions" but all the pathways (nursing/paramedicine/midwifery) had the same modules of biology and psychology. Good luck to everyone starting :smile: I'll be jealous of the classes/extra content you'll be having.
Reply 4
Original post by PYDogVan
Do you know what modules you'll be doing? I am starting mine in a couple of days with the distance learning centre - technically it's a diploma in "Allied Healthcare Professions" but all the pathways (nursing/paramedicine/midwifery) had the same modules of biology and psychology. Good luck to everyone starting :smile: I'll be jealous of the classes/extra content you'll be having.

Fab :smile: My modules are Human Biology, Psychology and Health and Social Care. It's only 2 days a week but classed as full-time- 1 year course :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lcyfrn
Fab :smile: My modules are Human Biology, Psychology and Health and Social Care. It's only 2 days a week but classed as full-time- 1 year course :smile:

I did Access to Health Sciences in 2010-2011 and while the workload was hard, it was a really good course and got me onto my current course (dentistry). As long as you are prepared to put the hours in (it can be intense!) you will do fine :smile: A lot of people who I did Access with went on to do nursing etc and the Access courses are generally really well-respected by the universities.

Best of luck!
Reply 6
I'm starting an access to Nursing course in September too! Looking forward to it :smile: I'm hoping to do Adult Nursing at a London uni next year.And I'm also a mature student at 34!I've been reading about nursing intake at university and it keeps coming up that some kind of relatable experience would be an advantage (or a requirement in the case of King's College!). So I'm thinking of volunteering for an NHS role for a few hours a week. Anyone else thinking of doing anything for experience alongside the access course?
I'm starting my access course in September too, studying Chemistry, Human Physiology, Sociology & Psychology. Hope to study Adult Nursing next year. I work at a Care Home as care assistant, bank care assistant at a hospital & volunteered at that hospital weekly for a year (now ad hoc)
Nervous but excited too!
Original post by RupertD
I'm starting an access to Nursing course in September too! Looking forward to it :smile: I'm hoping to do Adult Nursing at a London uni next year.And I'm also a mature student at 34!I've been reading about nursing intake at university and it keeps coming up that some kind of relatable experience would be an advantage (or a requirement in the case of King's College!). So I'm thinking of volunteering for an NHS role for a few hours a week. Anyone else thinking of doing anything for experience alongside the access course?

The trust I volunteer (& now work) at only provide a reference for volunteers when they have volunteered regularly for a year, so it worth checking if the universities you want to apply to will require a reference for your voluntary work & if the trust will provide one for you.
Other ideas for volunteering are becoming a Dementia Friend, volunteer for the Age Uk befriending service, breastfeeding support groups, St John Ambulance, Red Cross, brownies/rainbows, volunteering at Care Homes or Hospices or work experience/shadowing at hospitals/care homes/hospices.
Just thought it was worth mentioning in case you couldn't get a volunteer reference or something.
Reply 9
Hi people, I would like to know from you that started Acess course already how are you doing? Hope its all going well.
I am 40 and decided to go for Acess to Nursing course online and I heard a lot good comments about Harriot Ellis,I want to enrol myself asap so I can try to finish it on time to apply for a place at January 2018 Uni starting.
I am starting a volunteer work at nhs next month to get some experience too.
I am looking forward to heard from you,I am really in need of some reassurance.
Big thanks
Original post by fulber
Hi people, I would like to know from you that started Acess course already how are you doing? Hope its all going well.
I am 40 and decided to go for Acess to Nursing course online and I heard a lot good comments about Harriot Ellis,I want to enrol myself asap so I can try to finish it on time to apply for a place at January 2018 Uni starting.
Big thanks

Hi fulber, I have just finished my first term of my access course at college. It has been hard work but I am enjoying myself.
I can't give much advice on online access courses, although I have heard good things on forums like this one about the support people got from tutors. I would recommend checking the access course is accepted by the universities you want to apply to and what their entry requirements are before you start the access course.
I also recommend attending university open days as they are a great way to find out more about the degree and talk to current students.
Volunteering is a great way to get experience. I really enjoyed volunteering in a hospital and all the staff were so friendly to me, so I hope you enjoy it too.
I'm afraid my access journey is still in progress so I haven't got an ending or result yet, but I'm hanging in there. I'd say if you are dedicated to achieving your goal you can do it!
I hope this helps a little and good luck. Feel free to ask anything else.
Original post by Lcyfrn
Hi all,

I'm starting an Access to Health course in September with the hope of going to university next year to study Adult Nursing.

I'm hoping to find some people doing this course to share experiences with :smile:

I'm going to be a mature student at 24 and am a little bit nervous about going back into education but I'm really excited to get started!

I finished my access course this week and I will be 29 shortly after starting university in March 😊 I really enjoyed it and met some fantastic people. Good luck with everything x
Reply 12
Hello my name is Liv!

I'm 24 and also currently doing an Access course as well, consisting of Human Physiology, Psychology, Professional Healthcare Practice, Further Study Skills and Academic Writing.

I'm applying for adult nursing at Edge Hill (Sept and March intake), University of Liverpool, Leeds Beckett and York.

Has everyone sent off their UCAS choices or had any interviews yet?

Hope to hear soon xo
Original post by fulber
Big thanks

I'm a mature student in my first year at university doing Adult Nursing. I did an online Access to HE Nursing course through the Distance Learning Centre, it was hard work but I managed to get mainly distinctions. The one key thing that I found with the distance learning is that you have to be prepared to work independently and motivate yourself. Set yourself deadlines (e.g. 1 module every 2 weeks) and stick rigidly to that timetable. You also need to be able to find out answers for yourself if you get stuck, there is very little tutor support to help you. I found the Khan Academy YouTube videos helpful and websites such as Boundless useful for further reading.
Original post by Lcyfrn
Hi all,

Dear Lcyfrn,

My name is Victor and I am a second-year business student at the Esade Business School, one of Spain’s best universities in business. For our marketing class, we are working together with Linkia FP’s marketing department and conducting research on why people joined Healthcare courses or want to join it. Do you know if it would be possible to conduct a really short interview in order to understand you motivations to take the course ?
I hope your course went well and that the return to education was smooth :smile:.

Hoping to hear back from you.

Victor Duthu

Quick Reply

Latest