The Student Room Group

RS or Psychology or Sociology

If you did any of these A level please tell me your experience and whether you would recommend it to anyone starting their A levels in September.

Also it would be great if you outlined what you loved and hated most about that subject

If you more than one of the subjects mentioned above, please mention which subject you found easier, and why

Thank you
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Fatimabibi_
If you did any of these A level please tell me your experience and whether you would recommend it to anyone starting their A levels in September.

Also it would be great if you outlined what you loved and hated most about that subject

If you more than one of the subjects mentioned above, please mention which subject you found easier, and why

Thank you

I'm sorrry, I didn't do one of these subjects at A Level - but I would say that, firstly, RS can be incredibly interesting, and secondly that it is quite possibly better respected as an A Level than either of the other two. Out of interest, what other A levels are you planning on doing, and what degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Hiya,

I have an HNC in Social Care which contained modules in Psychology and Sociology but were applied to care settings. I also just completed Higher Psychology (Similar to A level).

I personally preferred Psychology. It's hard to explain... I really enjoyed getting to know more about the topics we covered (abnormal behaviour, sleep etc). But you would do similar in Sociology as well, going over different approaches.

All I can suggest is you read over the two topics and see what one you prefer the sound of more. Both are good subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by SunnysideSea
I'm sorrry, I didn't do one of these subjects at A Level - but I did do Theology (and Philosophy) at uni, so I would say that, firstly, RS can be incredibly interesting, and secondly that it is quite possibly better respected as an A Level than either of the other two. Out of interest, what other A levels are you planning on doing, and what degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to study chemistry and biology for A level and i am undecided about my 3rd subject. In uni I would like to study pharmacy or optometry
I'm going to study chemistry and biology for A level and i am undecided about my 3rd subject. In uni I would like to study pharmacy or optometry

Thank you

I did biology, chemistry, maths and RS(philosophy and ethics) last year for AS. Out of all my subjects philosophy and ethics for me was the easiest and most interesting subject i did, its incredibly fascinating and there is a whole module you do in medical ethics which you can tie in to your personal statement if your applying to do something in the medical field. It was so different from all my other subjects, which is why I liked it so much but you had to really think to because some of the theories in philosophy can take a while to get your head around, but its o interesting and I didn't find it particularly difficult. I got an A at AS, I think once you've mastered your essay structure you just need to make a set of notes on each theory using outside reading and using other philosophers views who support and criticize it, and then that's it really. The only difficult thing I think id the timing in the exam and some theories are really weird, so it takes a while to understand. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know.

You know what, I don't usually say this, but in this case just choose the subject whose material you enjoy most. Perhaps psychology would be most related to your career and degree, but this isn't particularly a reason to choose it. Just go with what you'll like!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest