The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Is an open uni degree worthy for comp sci?

Is an ou degree really career enhancing? Can I really go into software dev with an outl degree? Im in my late 20s not sure if Ive left it too late or if a degree from ou is even worth while? I am also considering RDI as its abit cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OU degrees perfectly fine and well regarded.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
An OU degree will allow you to tick the box saying you are a graduate. I'd imagine that it would be to your advantage to ensure you have a portfolio of projects and code you can show employers as proof of your skills. My understanding is that evidence of ability to write clean code etc. is going to be far more important than the university you attended - a few top universities excepted. I'm certainly no expert though....
Thats true, although like i said you wont be writing any code until year twi at the earliest with the open university, they dont have a comp sci degree, only a comouting degree which branches out in years two and three.
I currently work in IT support already but want to branch off into other areas

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it can be.

I got a joint Maths & Comp Sci from the OU in 2014 and I currently work as a software developer. I got an assistants job based on the modules I had currently done and finished off level 3 modules whilst working as a developer so that helped immensely. I just turned 30 this month so bit late on the career path but better late than never and still young enough to go for it!

Other than a naff GNVQ in ICT years ago I hadn't done any computer science until I started with the OU in 2008/9. It is not without it's faults but the same could be said about brick uni (I've attended both) and it's just a case of weighing up the pros & cons of both, subject matter and how you work best and what else could give you an edge up.

Quick Reply

Latest