The Student Room Group

HSBC - What Overdraft Limit did you guys get?

Just got my accounts setup and activated, so far I have:
- £750 Overdraft
- £500 Credit Card Limit
(Total of £1250 of credit from the bank)

What did you guys get for your first year and how much did it go up by for your second year?

If anyones wondering, I probably won't even go into the O.D. first year and will spend around ~£200p/m on the CC to build a credit history.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
Just got my accounts setup and activated, so far I have:
- £750 Overdraft
- £500 Credit Card Limit
(Total of £1250 of credit from the bank)

What did you guys get for your first year and how much did it go up by for your second year?

If anyones wondering, I probably won't even go into the O.D. first year and will spend around ~£200p/m on the CC to build a credit history.

I opened up a student account today and chose to go for the maximum £750 overdraft too. I didn't get asked if I wanted to open a CC, but had I have, I would have said no.
Reply 2
Original post by postexamtalk
I opened up a student account today and chose to go for the maximum £750 overdraft too. I didn't get asked if I wanted to open a CC, but had I have, I would have said no.

Why's that? Easy way to build credit, have purchase protection and give yourself time for payment.
Reply 3
Original post by TrojanH
Why's that? Easy way to build credit, have purchase protection and give yourself time for payment.

I've got over £4k on my four credit cards and £2k on my student account, with the co-op. Which they are trying to shut down because i have finished my degree, darn?!
Reply 4
Original post by john2054
I've got over £4k on my four credit cards and £2k on my student account, with the co-op. Which they are trying to shut down because i have finished my degree, darn?!

Damn man, suppose that's the way it goes. Checked out MSE's guide for a grad account? Probably something good up there?

Why do you have 4 cards lool? Just more stress, some cards have pretty high limits, heard of Lloyds Platinum going from 10k into 30k range (google).
Reply 5
Original post by TrojanH
Damn man, suppose that's the way it goes. Checked out MSE's guide for a grad account? Probably something good up there?

Why do you have 4 cards lool? Just more stress, some cards have pretty high limits, heard of Lloyds Platinum going from 10k into 30k range (google).

Because of my mental illness i have been able to secure any form of employment, so i think that graduate accounts are out of the question. I have however got a grace period of a year, after finishing my degree, which i kindly reminded my bank account, because they had forgotten about this policy. And I am going to be doing post graduate study, which should also increase the time i can have the student account open. Not having it won't help, but i'll still have my credit cards to fall back on. Now i just have to stay within my limits, and pray that they don't end these as well!??
Original post by TrojanH

Personally don't see the need, would rather not bite off more than I can chew.
Original post by postexamtalk
Personally don't see the need, would rather not bite off more than I can chew.

You may as well get one as a student as it makes it easier to get one when you are older.
Just use it every so often and pay it off straight away to build your credit rating.
It's also better to use credit cards for booking things like flights and holidays as you are protected.
Does anyone know if you have to pay money into your account before using your overdraft?
Original post by ILikePasta
Does anyone know if you have to pay money into your account before using your overdraft?

You don't have to
Original post by TrojanH

i got turned down for lloyds some months ago. i have recently applied for a barclay card however, and i am still waiting to hear back about that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending