The Student Room Group

Do you agree that a levels are harder than uni?

So I've heard from many people that they found a levels much harder than uni work. As i havent experienced neither of them, i cant make a judgement..anyone who agrees?(im about to start sixth form)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think it depends what you study in uni. My psychology teacher tells me that a levels were harder than her degree. My dad who is a surgeon tells me that degree is way more difficult... See what I mean
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tkkkkk16
So I've heard from many people that they found a levels much harder than uni work. As i havent experienced neither of them, i cant make a judgement..anyone who agrees?(im about to start sixth form)

2nd year medschool pre-clin exams made A levels seem like primary school
They are completely different. You can't really compare. Intellectually uni work is much harder. You also have to think creatively and actually use your critical thinking skills and come to conclusions yourself rather than just basically parroting the opinions of others. (This is from the point of view of a humanities degree).
But at uni you have more time to use or to chill in and you have a whole social life and range of interests that lift you up and energise you. I dunno it's just completely different. I remember both as being hard to do well in but in different ways. When you're actually doing the work at uni it's much harder but I guess there's a lot more space around it to clear your head.

Hope this helps. :smile:
first year is easier than a levels, easily
If you haven't experienced either why would you care or worry
Reply 6
Uni>IB>>>>>A Levels

Every single IB student I met had an easier time than A Level one.
Original post by inhuman
Uni>IB>>>>>A Levels

Every single IB student I met had an easier time than A Level one.

What do you mean?
Reply 8
Original post by marcobruni98
What do you mean?

Exactly what I wrote. What do you mean what do I mean?

It depends what a-levels you do and what degree you do. I personally found the first year of chemistry to be quite easy (I got 60% in one module with no work whatsoever.) However, second year was brutal and far more difficult than any a-level work I'd done up to that point so I'd say that university is generally harder than A-levels

Hello :biggrin:

I wouldn't say 'A Levels are harder' but I think I saw them as more stressful at the time purely because the work load was greater - only in the terms that I was studying up to four different subjects are the same time and having work for all of them so there was always something to do and my mind was in four different places at the same time as oppose to being at university and focusing on one subject.

I'd say university isn't 'harder' either - I'd say it's more challenging for your skills.

If that makes sense? :smile:
Will depend on the uni and the subject. My undergrad degree was much harder than A Levels. It was also harder than my Masters, though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
a levels were harder lol. I am at ucl doing mech eng.. I literally did **** all the first yr and still got a 2:1
Reply 13
Original post by a_bc
and a day ago you got into UCL for medicine with ABBB ... LOL

Lol i was trolling... Who would seriously get in with that
No
I've finished A levels and although it was the most stressful two years (well AS wasn't so bad but A2 killed me) I doubt it'll be easier or less stressful than uni. Some say first year of uni is easier as I guess it's more an intro year but from year 2 onwards, haven't heard anyone say A levels were easier.
Also depends the course, I doubt A level maths even touches the difficulty of degree level maths

Never in a million years! My degree was way way way harder and more work than A Levels.*
Original post by marcobruni98
I think it depends what you study in uni. My psychology teacher tells me that a levels were harder than her degree. My dad who is a surgeon tells me that degree is way more difficult... See what I mean

Complete bs.

I've completed both a Psychology A-level and a psychology degree, and the A-levels are a complete walk in the park compared to the degree. A lot of people struggle with a psychology degree because their expectations from their A-levels courses were entirely different. So many people in the first year of university moaned that it's "too sciencey".

Which uni did she go to.

I had something like 98% for Psychology A-level and my degree average was 69%. I revised a couple of nights before for my A-level but my degree course had me working until 2 in the morning with the occasional tears. Whatever uni your teacher went to, go there...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
Complete bs.

I've completed both a Psychology A-level and a psychology degree, and the A-levels are a complete walk in the park compared to the degree. A lot of people struggle with a psychology degree because their expectations from their A-levels courses were entirely different. So many people in the first year of university moaned that it's "too sciencey".

Which uni did she go to.

I had something like 98% for Psychology A-level and my degree average was 69%. I revised a couple of nights before for my A-level but my degree course had me working until 2 in the morning with the occasional tears. Whatever uni your teacher went to, go there...

She just said that she found her degree easier than her A-levels, I think she also did maths and biology a levels which may have been why she found it harder... No need to call bs... :smile: Probably not a great uni, let's just say she's not the brightest of the bunch. Btw I was not attacking psychology(which I love), I was honestly saying what I've heard. I want to become a psychiatrist :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, A Levels are MUCH harder than my degree imo... I am about to enter my third year of Biomedical Science and I have found this so much nicer than the *****iness of exams when I was at Sixth Form...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
First two years of my degree have been easier than a levels. The content doesn't necessarily seem easier through the year, but the exams are very easy, to the point that you can get a first after just two days of cramming. Maybe this will change in third year though?

Also people's work ethic at school was far better at school than uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending