The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rock Fan
Just been to my local pub with a couple of mates and one of them ordered a pint of water? I mean why in a pub?

Erm..to stay hydrated of course. If i'm not wanting to risk getting a hangover the next day I'll usually have a soda and lime to every two or three alcholic drinks. Personally the clubs I go to are always the ones with the good music. If your mate wants to drink water theres no reason why they shouldn't!
Reply 61
Erm, no...what's the point of going to a pub if you're going to have water, really? I order tap water in restaurants along with a glass of coke or something though because I drink loads with a meal and I resent having to pay for it! You can tell the waiters are always peeved when you're like 'water...TAP water' but screw 'em! Asked my friend to get me a water from the bar at the ball but she didn't get the idea of free tap water and instead bought a massive posh bottle of still water lol :tongue: You should not pay for water, dammit!
well scrap the water rates then!
Reply 63
Straggler
I am not trying to "demean" you - you're doing a good job of that yourself.

I find it incredibly ironic that you do not think it is "sensible" to take intoxicating substances but you find it appropriate to list "drinking" as one of your "interests" on your profile.

There is a world of difference between ecstasy and alcohol.
Rock Fan
Just been to my local pub with a couple of mates and one of them ordered a pint of water? I mean why in a pub?

Yes when I dont feel like drinking...Nothing worse then being the odd one out in a bar.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
Straggler
You're right. But not in the way you're obviously thinking. Ecstasy has already been deemed by scientists at Bristol University and the Medical Research Council as one of the safest common drugs. Alcohol and tobacco were deemed to pose far more of a risk to society. Alcohol is involved in more than 50 percent of all visits to hospital emergency rooms. There are many more studies and if I could be bothered I'd search for them. However, I get the impression you've already fell for the 'War on Drugs'.

Professor David Nutt highlighted the fact that "one person a week in the UK dies from alcohol poisoning, while less than 10 deaths a year are linked to ecstasy use."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17760130/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6474053.stm

Get off your high horse already.

Maybe you're thick, so I'll help you along.

A very large number of people use alcohol. A much smaller minority use ecstasy. Even though ecstasy is more dangerous, the same statistics you cite will result due to the overwhelming difference in usage.

I'm not on a 'high horse'.
Reply 67
Straggler

Professor David Nutt highlighted the fact that "one person a week in the UK dies from alcohol poisoning, while less than 10 deaths a year are linked to ecstasy use."

Which is obviously a far higher % of ecstasy users dying than alcohol users.
Reply 68
ordered water loads of times - can't see what the problem with it is....its a health thing - got to keep well hydrated! Screw what everybody else thinks is what i say .... go all those people that order tap water:biggrin:

Latest