The Student Room Group

Why Philosophy is a genuinely AWESOME degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
this is an absolutely beautiful piece of writing. Can I share it on my fb page?

Haha if you want to:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SunnysideSea
I hope you realise you're making a whole bunch of philosophical assumptions here, like 'if they're happy then good'. This is literally a moral philosophy, akin to positive utilitarianism. Of course, philosophers have alalysed this sort of moral framework for centuries, but you wouldn't know that because you've never studied it. In fact, you actively showcase your ignorance by stating it like a fact, when any philosopher knows it is far from it. I assure you 'maximal happiness' has all sorts of problems as a moral framework, all you have to do is look it up, but of course you won't. From what I've seen you actually enjoy remaining closed-minded and naive, so perhaps Philosophy really isn't for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't visit this planet very often, do you? You should spend a bit of time here. Check it out the sights.

Actually, there are no philosophical statements in my response all you've done is try to fit some philosophical nuances into already established subjects. It's akin to religious zealots stating, "The medicine I took and the hospitals I went to never cured my cancer. It was as a result of my prayers. Therefore, god." All you've done is taken various statements and topics and stated, "Blah, blah, blah...Therefore, philosophy."

STEM subjects would've helped you see the folly in your thinking and would've helped you realise all philosophy is is just a bunch of people trying to justify their existence.

'The majority of people are concerned with obtaining money'. Any evidence for this? Isn't evidence what you guys accuse others of not having? I come from a fairly wealthy background, and I can assure you the 'thrill', if there even is one, is in the chase. Most people think money will get them what they want, until they have money and don't know what to do with it. Please don't waste your life in search of something which only those who have realise is worthless next to, for example, a loving family, or love in God.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely the majority of people are concerned with obtaining money. Money is what allows people the opportunity to obtain the life style they dream of. It is why a capiltalist system (is so far) is the longest lasting financial system and the best system to help pull poor people out of poverty.

And i'm not surprised you come from a wealthy family. People of wealth tend to pursue more purile topics like philosophy. If you were from poor background, you would've been unlikely to pursue philosophy. You have the safety net of "My daddy pays for everything." Can't get a job, i'll just use daddy's network of friends. Moving to university, i'll just get daddy to pay for a house. Good for your dad (or mom) for creating wealth that meant you could pursue a meangingless topic. And this is the biggest reason why philosophy continues. It was built upon the foundations of other subjects and now attempts to claim to be the origin of all. That's shameful you are blind to that.

As for most people finding purpose in life without philosophy: aside from it being another unsubstantiated claim, do you watch the news? Aren't teenage mental disorders at an all-time high? Aren't divorce rates at an all-time high? Everyone's always saying our society is broken (isn't this why Corbyn became leader, why americans latch onto Trump?), a society built in some respects by philosophically illiterate people. I say there is ample evidence that Philosophy deserves a chance, given that all else is failing.
Posted from TSR Mobile

You continually ask questions to which there are no answers. It's like asking "What's the colour of essence?" It's grammatically correct but not one that can be answered. Again, had you studied a STEM subject, you would've realised that.

Philosophy deserves no chance to act as society's framework for living because it hasn't earned that (again, as it rests on the basis of other subjects). The state of our country is nothing to do do with philosophical illiteracy. Religious zealots will claim that it's lack of godly faith that's ruining our society (even though we are actually living in one of the most peaceful periods in the history of mankind). Let's not let philosophy mess that up. Perhaps watch a little less Fox news and try a little more braining.
(edited 7 years ago)
You don't really believe those were real, do you?

Whether I believe it or not, it made for a funny post.
Original post by blooptop

I wouldn't concern yourself, I doubt it's the right course for someone who can't tell the difference between a university exam and old jokes circulated on the internet anyway....

It's not the right course for anybody which is why it's a waste of time.
Original post by !!mentor!!
You don't visit this planet very often, do you? You should spend a bit of time here. Check it out the sights.

Actually, there are no philosophical statements in my response all you've done is try to fit some philosophical nuances into already established subjects. It's akin to religious zealots stating, "The medicine I took and the hospitals I went to never cured my cancer. It was as a result of my prayers. Therefore, god." All you've done is taken various statements and topics and stated, "Blah, blah, blah...Therefore, philosophy."

STEM subjects would've helped you see the folly in your thinking and would've helped you realise all philosophy is is just a bunch of people trying to justify their existence.

Absolutely the majority of people are concerned with obtaining money. Money is what allows people the opportunity to obtain the life style they dream of. It is why a capiltalist system (is so far) is the longest lasting financial system and the best system to help pull poor people out of poverty.

And i'm not surprised you come from a wealthy family. People of wealth tend to pursue more purile topics like philosophy. If you were from poor background, you would've been unlikely to pursue philosophy. You have the safety net of "My daddy pays for everything." Can't get a job, i'll just use daddy's network of friends. Moving to university, i'll just get daddy to pay for a house. Good for your dad (or mom) for creating wealth that meant you could pursue a meangingless topic. And this is the biggest reason why philosophy continues. It was built upon the foundations of other subjects and now attempts to claim to be the origin of all. That's shameful you are blind to that.

You continually ask questions to which there are no answers. It's like asking "What's the colour of essence?" It's grammatically correct but not one that can be answered. Again, had you studied a STEM subject, you would've realised that.

Philosophy deserves no chance to act as society's framework for living because it hasn't earned that (again, as it rests on the basis of other subjects). The state of our country is nothing to do do with philosophical illiteracy. Religious zealots will claim that it's lack of godly faith that's ruining our society (even though we are actually living in one of the most peaceful periods in the history of mankind). Let's not let philosophy mess that up. Perhaps watch a little less Fox news and try a little more braining.

Firstly, there definitely are philosophical statements in your writing. I even pulled one out and explained it for you, but apparently you can't read.

Secondly, if you still think 'philosophy is just a bunch of people trying to justify their existence', you can't have understood anything I or others have written in the previous 140 odd posts. I'm not going to regurgitate it all just because you can't be bothered to look at it.

Thirdly, my family are pretty irrelevant for this discussion, but just to clarify I said 'fairly wealthy'. By that I meant we have a home in a decent part of London, and we get by OK. But my brother and I will have no jobs or money laid on for us like you imagine. My parents couldn't even if they wanted to. But we don't need it, we get where we want to go through hard work. My brother, who went to a state comprehensive, is currently doing the, (obviously, completely pointless) History degree at Oxford, and is thinking of going into IB after that. Indeed, my family's 'wealth' is its education, not money. But, I forgot!, money is the only thing that matters, isn't it?

Fourthly, I'm getting a little bored of our exchanges because all you ever do is ignore what I say and go off on a little inarticulated, unsubstantiated rant. When once have I mentioned religious zealots? Where did that come from? And you're angry I use questions without answers? It's called a rhetorical question. Not learn that in primary school? That was another one.

There was one little bit of interest in your post which was when you tried to do a little bit of philosophy. You said that because we're living through a relatively peaceful period we don't need philosophy. This assumes a lack of war is the primary measure of success for a society. It can be one, for sure, but there are others, I would argue, which are more important. For example, political movements, such as the lurch to the right which has taken place across Europe, the previously unimaginable vote for Brexit and the rise of Trump. These are all, I may add, only recent events. Science was also dominant throughout all the horrific events of the 20th century, from Nazism to the Kulags, to the scientists at german companies who perfected the concentration of gas for maximum killing capacity in the gas chambers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But as a little cog in the machine how am I going to make a living out of it?
Whether I believe it or not, it made for a funny post.

God bless you sir. I give up.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But as a little cog in the machine how am I going to make a living out of it?

Don't worry about that. Of course you will make a living out of it. It's all just a rumour. History, philosophy and English lit are respected subjects. Especially history. You don't need a degree to make a living anyways.
I want to study Philosophy, Politics and Economics :yy::yy::h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Firstly, there definitely are philosophical statements in your writing. I even pulled one out and explained it for you, but apparently you can't read.

Secondly, if you still think 'philosophy is just a bunch of people trying to justify their existence', you can't have understood anything I or others have written in the previous 140 odd posts. I'm not going to regurgitate it all just because you can't be bothered to look at it.

Thirdly, my family are pretty irrelevant for this discussion, but just to clarify I said 'fairly wealthy'. By that I meant we have a home in a decent part of London, and we get by OK. But my brother and I will have no jobs or money laid on for us like you imagine. My parents couldn't even if they wanted to. But we don't need it, we get where we want to go through hard work. My brother, who went to a state comprehensive, is currently doing the, (obviously, completely pointless) History degree at Oxford, and is thinking of going into IB after that. Indeed, my family's 'wealth' is its education, not money. But, I forgot!, money is the only thing that matters, isn't it?

Fourthly, I'm getting a little bored of our exchanges because all you ever do is ignore what I say and go off on a little inarticulated, unsubstantiated rant. When once have I mentioned religious zealots? Where did that come from? And you're angry I use questions without answers? It's called a rhetorical question. Not learn that in primary school? That was another one.

There was one little bit of interest in your post which was when you tried to do a little bit of philosophy. You said that because we're living through a relatively peaceful period we don't need philosophy. This assumes a lack of war is the primary measure of success for a society. It can be one, for sure, but there are others, I would argue, which are more important. For example, political movements, such as the lurch to the right which has taken place across Europe, the previously unimaginable vote for Brexit and the rise of Trump. These are all, I may add, only recent events. Science was also dominant throughout all the horrific events of the 20th century, from Nazism to the Kulags, to the scientists at german companies who perfected the concentration of gas for maximum killing capacity in the gas chambers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If was I him, I would at least Google "what is philosophy?"
Original post by The Awakener
I want to study Philosophy, Politics and Economics :yy::yy::h:

Great idea :smile: just don't turn into David Cameron hahahha
Great idea :smile: just don't turn into David Cameron hahahha

Never ! Hate the tories !!

Probably will join Lib Dems or Labour if they survive the **** they're in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, nothing philosophical in my post. The one you pulled out was possibly a psychological statement, but definitely not philosophical. Stop trying to attribute philosophy to everything.

Secondly, if you still think 'philosophy is just a bunch of people trying to justify their existence', you can't have understood anything I or others have written in the previous 140 odd posts. I'm not going to regurgitate it all just because you can't be bothered to look at it.Posted from TSR Mobile

I have understood everything you and everyone else have said in the various posts. I'm not surprised that there's a lot of philosophy students agreeing with each other and trying to justify the art of nonsense. If you put people with severe mental handicaps into a room, there's bound to be a lot of hugging (oh dear, you're going to claim that was a philosophical statement now, aren't you).

Thirdly, my family are pretty irrelevant for this discussion, but just to clarify I said 'fairly wealthy'. By that I meant we have a home in a decent part of London, and we get by OK. But my brother and I will have no jobs or money laid on for us like you imagine. My parents couldn't even if they wanted to. But we don't need it, we get where we want to go through hard work. My brother, who went to a state comprehensive, is currently doing the, (obviously, completely pointless) History degree at Oxford, and is thinking of going into IB after that. Indeed, my family's 'wealth' is its education, not money. But, I forgot!, money is the only thing that matters, isn't it?Posted from TSR Mobile

If you didn't want your family mentioned your shouldn't have made subtle references to them i.e coming from a bit wealth. That assumes it comes from family. That's the only reason I mentioned them.
And history isn't a worthless subject, I (as i'm sure a lot of people) totally believe that it is important. It has a respected place in society so you probably should've undertaken that subject instead. It's a shame you denegrate such a respected subject.

Fourthly, I'm getting a little bored of our exchanges because all you ever do is ignore what I say and go off on a little inarticulated, unsubstantiated rant. When once have I mentioned religious zealots? Where did that come from? And you're angry I use questions without answers? It's called a rhetorical question. Not learn that in primary school? That was another one.Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't ignore what you say. I digest what you say and find it nonsensical. If you had taken the stance that philosophy can help people find deeper meaning in things then I probably would've agreed. But you didn't. Your stance that philosophy gives meaning to things is wrong. Philosophy was only able to come about when the foundations in our society were laid.

I didn't say you mentioned them. I mentioned them as a comparison to the stance you're taking: "Everything came from god" = "Ideas come from philosophy". So much for that philosophical critical thinking.

Furthermore, there were no rhetorical questions in your post. You expected an answer to them. Had I answered those nonsensical questions you would not have mentioned them as being rhetorical.
There was one little bit of interest in your post which was when you tried to do a little bit of philosophy. You said that because we're living through a relatively peaceful period we don't need philosophy. This assumes a lack of war is the primary measure of success for a society. It can be one, for sure, but there are others, I would argue, which are more important. For example, political movements, such as the lurch to the right which has taken place across Europe, the previously unimaginable vote for Brexit and the rise of Trump. These are all, I may add, only recent events. Science was also dominant throughout all the horrific events of the 20th century, from Nazism to the Kulags, to the scientists at german companies who perfected the concentration of gas for maximum killing capacity in the gas chambers.Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't try / say anything philosophical. That's you just wanting to attribute philosophy to a non-philosophical point to justify its existence.
Science doesn't kill people. In a very general, sweeping way science is all about trying to find the truth of things and expanding knowledge (dear lord, you're going to claim that as a philosophical statement as well, aren't you).
People kill people.

If you're going to play the "Let's revise history to suit my narrative" game, i'll play too.
I could claim that Nietzsche's philosophy followed by the Nazis led to the carnage and devastation in WWII and so is a bigger reason for people to not bother with it. But I won't because I don't believe it. It's just an alternate, imaginary topic (like green men on mars) that people like to talk about.
Perhaps you should discuss this historical event with your brother. I'm led to believe he's doing history (a worthwhile subject).
God bless you sir. I give up.

Don't give up. I believe in you. :smile:
If was I him, I would at least Google "what is philosophy?"

It's the treatment of injury through physical methods, isn't it? No, wait. I've just been told what i'm thinking about is physiotherapy.

Isn't this a physiotherapy thread?

...Uh oh...
I would do philosophy or history but I want a good job and I like computer science.
Original post by TercioOfParma
I would do philosophy or history but I want a good job and I like computer science.

Is this an ally I spot? I've been holding back the heathens by myself for so long.
Is this an ally I spot? I've been holding back the heathens by myself for so long.

Yeah, It seems like an interesting subject to study, if perhaps not economically viable for me.

You mean irritating us with your incessant nonsense?

Besides, that they 'would' do philosophy suggests they appreciate its inherent value, just aren't quite up to speed on the facts regarding its excellent career potential

Posted from TSR Mobile
You mean irritating us with your incessant nonsense?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Besides, that they 'would' do philosophy suggests they appreciate its inherent value, just aren't quite up to speed on the facts regarding its excellent career potential

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TercioOfParma

Seems like they already have a full grasp of its potential.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending