The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Opinions on Senghennydd Court?

I've been allocated a room in Senghennydd Court and I'm a bit worried given that it doesn't seem to have a very good reputation. I'm particularly concerned at the prospect of sharing a bathroom. Do people really have that different schedules that there aren't really any clashes (that's what I've heard)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I've been allocated to Senghennydd court, house C ☺️ I've not heard that it has a bad reputation, hopefully it'll be okay! What house are you in? ☺️
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Honestly it's not that bad! You all learn to get on! And the sinks, toilet and shower are all in separate bits so you can have two people using it at the same time.
Location-wise, you are in the best halls. It's 5-10 minutes to town and most uni buildings which I think more than makes up for it!
Reply 3
Hi!

I've just been allocated a room in Senghennydd Court. I'm also really worried as it was my 10th choice due to the shared bathrooms.

I'm in house H, has anyone else been allocated to the same house?

Everyone is saying it's really run down etc but it can't be that bad, surely 😩
Reply 4
Cheers, feeling a bit less apprehensive about my accommodation now :tongue:
I'm in house e first floor flat 9
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Umaji
Hi!

I've just been allocated a room in Senghennydd Court. I'm also really worried as it was my 10th choice due to the shared bathrooms.

I'm in house H, has anyone else been allocated to the same house?

Everyone is saying it's really run down etc but it can't be that bad, surely 😩

I'm also house H which flat are you?
Reply 6
Original post by miri178
I'm also house H which flat are you?

I'm in flat 5, please say you're also 😩
Reply 7
Also, what are you guys doing for freshers? Are you buying the wrist bands or?
Reply 8
Original post by Umaji
Also, what are you guys doing for freshers? Are you buying the wrist bands or?

I'm probably going to buy a paper parties wristband but I doubt I'll attend many of the events since I'm pretty introverted.
Reply 9
Original post by Pedr0
I'm probably going to buy a paper parties wristband but I doubt I'll attend many of the events since I'm pretty introverted.

Do you have any idea roughly how much that'll be per event/party? Yea I guess it makes sense, I might do the same, it would only be worth it if you were planning on going to most.What are to studying if you don't mind me asking?How are you feeling about Senghennydd now? It was my 10th choice but yea.
Really wouldn't bother with paper parties- most people just go to the SU in the first week. Some things let you buy on the door too which is good if you haven't met your flatmates yet or don't know what they're going to.
Reply 11
Original post by Umaji
Do you have any idea roughly how much that'll be per event/party? Yea I guess it makes sense, I might do the same, it would only be worth it if you were planning on going to most.What are to studying if you don't mind me asking?How are you feeling about Senghennydd now? It was my 10th choice but yea.

I've got no idea how much everything's gonna cost on the door (if that's even possible) but Β£45 gets you 1 event per day iirc.
I'm doing architecture btw. And to be honest I'm pretty happy with seng court actually since it's in a better location than my first choices were (talybont), and provided my flatmates are alright there shouldnt be a problem sharing :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Really wouldn't bother with paper parties- most people just go to the SU in the first week. Some things let you buy on the door too which is good if you haven't met your flatmates yet or don't know what they're going to.

Really? A friend of mine says he and all the people in his flat are getting the paper wristband and the general consensus on fb and stuff seems similar. Do you know what proportion of the events let you buy on the door (and about how much that'll cost)?
And also (im assuming you're a second year or higher) what is there to do in fresher's week outside of going out at night and stuff? Like when can we sign up for clubs and societies and the like?
Original post by Pedr0
Really? A friend of mine says he and all the people in his flat are getting the paper wristband and the general consensus on fb and stuff seems similar. Do you know what proportion of the events let you buy on the door (and about how much that'll cost)?
And also (im assuming you're a second year or higher) what is there to do in fresher's week outside of going out at night and stuff? Like when can we sign up for clubs and societies and the like?

Then that's fine- as long as you're in contact with most of your flat then organising events is much easier. I ended up selling my paper wristband as I didn't want to go on my own without someone I knew (and nobody in my house was going). Generally I think most did sell on the door but you did have to get there really early. Going online to see how advance sales did will give you a good idea. Unfortunately most places love to rip freshers off, your average entry price would be Β£5-10.
There's quite a lot going on! There's often Give it a Go events which let you explore the area or try out new sports or skills. That happens again in January in case you miss out! You also won't be short of general stuff to do in Cardiff with new friends like trampoline parks, really cheap cinema (it's Β£3!!! It makes me so happy!), visiting the bay and shopping to name a few. The freshers fair should be during freshers week with the sports fair a day or so after. This is when you get to talk to people running the clubs and actually sign up. Quite a few have events on so you can 'try before you buy' in a sense.
Reply 14
Then that's fine- as long as you're in contact with most of your flat then organising events is much easier. I ended up selling my paper wristband as I didn't want to go on my own without someone I knew (and nobody in my house was going). Generally I think most did sell on the door but you did have to get there really early. Going online to see how advance sales did will give you a good idea. Unfortunately most places love to rip freshers off, your average entry price would be Β£5-10.
There's quite a lot going on! There's often Give it a Go events which let you explore the area or try out new sports or skills. That happens again in January in case you miss out! You also won't be short of general stuff to do in Cardiff with new friends like trampoline parks, really cheap cinema (it's Β£3!!! It makes me so happy!), visiting the bay and shopping to name a few. The freshers fair should be during freshers week with the sports fair a day or so after. This is when you get to talk to people running the clubs and actually sign up. Quite a few have events on so you can 'try before you buy' in a sense.

Ah crap, I saw this just after I bought a wristband! :tongue: I guess if my housemates are going to any of the events I might tag along.
Reply 15
Original post by Pedr0
I've got no idea how much everything's gonna cost on the door (if that's even possible) but Β£45 gets you 1 event per day iirc.
I'm doing architecture btw. And to be honest I'm pretty happy with seng court actually since it's in a better location than my first choices were (talybont), and provided my flatmates are alright there shouldnt be a problem sharing :smile:

Yea having looked at the map I'm amazed at how close seng court is to pretty much everything and anything. I'm glad I'm not stuck with the silverfish infestation going on, I found out after and I was so glad, I couldn't handle that. Hopefully it's social as well, sucks there's no common room or lounge but it's not a big deal when you're so close to the city centre.
Yea I guess you're right, can't wait to move in now!
Reply 16

Hi!

After reading what you wrote, I looked into the paper party wristbands and they all seem to be sold out. I don't know if I'm just looking in the wrong place or what but I'm not sure what to do

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by Pedr0
Ah crap, I saw this just after I bought a wristband! :tongue: I guess if my housemates are going to any of the events I might tag along.

What wristband did you buy?
Reply 18
Original post by Umaji
What wristband did you buy?

Full 2 week one (Paper parties). And if you want a wristband dont worry, fourth fifth and sixth releases are yet to come and you have a few hours to grab them once they come out (I think they usually come out at 6pm but check). They do jack up the prices with each release though :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Pedr0
Full 2 week one (Paper parties). And if you want a wristband dont worry, fourth fifth and sixth releases are yet to come and you have a few hours to grab them once they come out (I think they usually come out at 6pm but check). They do jack up the prices with each release though :/

Literally after I posted that message I realised what it all meant lol. Yea should be fine, it's annoying that the price rises but I should get one by the fourth release so hopefully it won't be too much. Did you buy yours today? I must have literally just missed it

Yea there's the week 2 one only available but it's not really worth it, are you going to the mtv thing?

Thanks for your help btw, I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest