The Student Room Group

Asylum seekers to be offered scholarships at the University of Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AntiTyrannyMan
REFUGEES and asylum seekers could get a free place at one of Britainโ€™s top universities alongside a new wave of British students struggling to cope with the burden of huge student debts.

Russell Group member Bristol University has offered scholarships and softened the application process for refugees and asylum seekers as part of a scheme to integrate those escaping conflict into education.

Professor Hugh Brady, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bristol, said: "We know there are factors that make it difficult for people from refugee and asylum-seeking communities to apply to university.

โ€œTheir previous studies may have been interrupted, they might not have evidence of their previous qualifications or their qualifications are not transferable.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/702324/migrants-refugees-asylum-seekers-bristol-university-free-scholarship-education-tuition-fee

It fails to say how many scholarships are being offered.
It fails to say what the criteria might be to gain such a scholarship.

Many universities offer scholarships. I cant see the problem.
Original post by 1010marina
This is disgusting.

Give them student finance like the rest of us, it'll encourage them to actually get a job after uni. Or better yet, send them to a college to learn a practical skill.

The government decides who is or isn't eligible for Student Finance. Bristol University is not a government institution.

It's nice to know that charity is now considered "disgusting".
Original post by BIGJohnson777
Agree, we need more construction workers, plumbers etc. Instead of letting them do English Literature degrees etc. adding to the problems on the graduate job market, they should be encouraged into more hands-on study at colleges, so instead they would fill in skill shortages in the aforementioned sectors.

If they're intelligent enough for admission into a top tier university then they absolutely should go for it. If you're that worried about the lack of construction workers and plumbers, then perhaps you should head off to college so you can fill in those shortages.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AntiTyrannyMan
REFUGEES and asylum seekers could get a free place at one of Britainโ€™s top universities alongside a new wave of British students struggling to cope with the burden of huge student debts.

Russell Group member Bristol University has offered scholarships and softened the application process for refugees and asylum seekers as part of a scheme to integrate those escaping conflict into education.

Professor Hugh Brady, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bristol, said: "We know there are factors that make it difficult for people from refugee and asylum-seeking communities to apply to university.

โ€œTheir previous studies may have been interrupted, they might not have evidence of their previous qualifications or their qualifications are not transferable.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/702324/migrants-refugees-asylum-seekers-bristol-university-free-scholarship-education-tuition-fee

They can't get student loans, if they could get student loans than it would be wrong to do this.
No, thanks. I'm good with doing a Law degree. 3A*s would go to waste otherwise.
If they can demonstrate sufficient knowledge to compete with the home/EU students and would be required to meet an equivalent requirement for the standard offer, then I'm all for it. It gives them a great opportunity and if they can compete with the other students, it's all good. But not if they get a special treatment . I just think that the other routes should be promoted more, focusing on the current shortages.

The problem is that they wouldn't be eligible for student finance, and so without scholarships like this it would be virtually impossible for them to afford university,not to mention that they'd be charge international fees.
(edited 7 years ago)
Bristol can do what it likes with its own money.

I would be more worried about them softening entry standards. If this is a good faith attempt to measure the actual aptitude of people with unavoidably tattered CVs, fine. If it is a euphemism for admitting students who plainly don't have the aptitude then it will help no one, as they will graduate with poor degrees.
So, allow talented refugees to gain a degree and perhaps better contribute to our country? I see no issue with this. I mean it is the university losing out on the money. Not us.

This would be better than having a refugee with no qualification or no valid qualification. As long as the refugee is meeting the required entry standard.
Original post by 97Y
What about refugees that hold medicinal degrees in their own countries which don't count over here? More intelligent than most people seeking an education and if they have the brain but not the means (and were bombed, watched their mum die, sister get raped) then why not?

If they are doctors I'd hope they were trying to help people on the battlefield in their own country...

Anyway, we have our own to care for. Like I said, if they get citizenship, give them student finance like everybody else. Not a free education... If they're already educated surely the net benefit to society would be to provide an education to the impoverished westerner.
Original post by WBZ144
The government decides who is or isn't eligible for Student Finance. Bristol University is not a government institution.

It's nice to know that charity is now considered "disgusting".

Yes - and instead of charity money going to refugees for education, give the student finance to refugees if they want it, but make them pay it back.

Give the charity money to savings lives on the battlefield, to homeless refugees, or better yet to Britons living in poverty, etc.
I didn't think this thread would be littered with people diminishing the quality of Bristol... the misplaced snobbery.
Reply 32
Daily Mail overdoing it as usual. Only the two best students would get it after a competitive application. They're not handing the scholarships out. Jeez.

Original post by Mathemagicien
Since when was Bristol a 'top' university?

Since when was it not? :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Agree, we need more construction workers, plumbers etc. Instead of letting them do English Literature degrees etc. adding to the problems on the graduate job market, they should be encouraged into more hands-on study at colleges, so instead they would fill in skill shortages in the aforementioned sectors.

Totally agree.
They're not given priority.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1010marina
Yes - and instead of charity money going to refugees for education, give the student finance to refugees if they want it, but make them pay it back.

Give the charity money to savings lives on the battlefield, to homeless refugees, or better yet to Britons living in poverty, etc.

Do you not understand how student finance works? Bristol can't just 'give the student finance to refugees if they want it', nor can SFE. There are certain criteria that must be met. Without initiatives like what Bristol introduced, refugees would be unable to afford university. This is an excellent scheme, and ensures that the brightest refugees are able to get a good education and hopefully secure jobs after and make a life for themselves. It's a shame that spiteful people like you are unable to see the good in this, and would rather all refugees be forced to become plumbers.
You seem like one of those people who think that if someone achieved decent grades, then that person must be privileged in some way.

Actually no. I got decent grades and I'm from a poor background. The truth is though the majority of people who get top A-level grades are from privileged backgrounds. I mean just look at the amount of private/grammar school educated people in the Russell Group and on TSR.

If you had done some research you would've known that these scholarships are going to be extremely competitive and only the most talented will get a place.
Reply 38
Original post by teenhorrorstory
ensures that the brightest refugees are able to get a good education and hopefully secure jobs after and make a life for themselves

The assumption ought to be that they're going back to their homes once the war has finished.
so they basically want to make the whole point of entry, and financing to university a joke (regardless of where its) that if you migrate you get free stuff ignoring all that everyone else has to go through to get there. wow this country is slowly becoming a joke.

i live in Bristol and we don't need more immigrants. especially as there is not enough houses for the people and immigrants already here.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest