The Student Room Group

Asylum seekers to be offered scholarships at the University of Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Why are people so outraged about this when scotland have had free uni places for years and no-one gives one
@inhuman

Ironically looking at the article and comparing it to Bristol's site the click bait headline in true, however their journalism is second rate so they haven't included all the relevant information within the article. :smile:
Original post by Josb
No, refugees are eligible to Student Finance.

In many cases they're not, it's up to the SLC to decide.

I know a Syrian refugee who has been working in minimum wage jobs for a few years now. She struggles to advance in her career and education, despite that refugees are supposed to have the same status of citizens under international law.
Original post by Salamandastron
Why are people so outraged about this when scotland have had free uni places for years and no-one gives one

People are bitter and like to tear down anyone who gets anything nice, especially if they are "migrants" (even though there is a massive difference between a refugee and a migrant). This is despite that these people have had many horrible things, along with the one nice thing and continue to be underprivileged compared to us.
Reply 64
Original post by JamesN88
@inhuman

Ironically looking at the article and comparing it to Bristol's site the click bait headline in true, however their journalism is second rate so they haven't included all the relevant information within the article. :smile:

Well, then the joke's even more on them.
Original post by Josb
I think taxpayers and fee-paying students have the right to know what the university is doing with their money.

I did not say the decisions should be kept secret at all.
Reply 66
Original post by JamesN88
@inhuman

The website don't tell how many scholarships are offered. It suggests that any refugee/asylum seeker admitted will get one, but I doubt it will be the case.
Original post by Josb
I think taxpayers and fee-paying students have the right to know what the university is doing with their money.

Is there any reason to believe they have been hiding anything?
Reply 68
Original post by generallee
This article shows that until the immigration bill (referred to) is passed unaccompanied minors seeking asylum DO NOT have to pay a penny for their education...

http://europe.newsweek.com/child-asylum-seekers-must-be-dispersed-across-britain-450699?rm=eu

As James point out above, they should actually have included it.

But they hadn't. Probably because they didn't research everything fully just saw something and made a headline out of it and that was it (hence why the article is so short).
I knew there were some ignorant and ill informed opinions being offered on this thread. Here you go, the facts...

http://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/united-kingdom/reception-conditions/employment-education/access-education
Original post by Mathemagicien
Since when was Bristol a 'top' university?

Someone tell the Magic Circle, quick:

Reply 71
Original post by 999tigger
Is there any reason to believe they have been hiding anything?

Well, I already pointed out that they don't tell how many scholarships they intend to give.
Original post by inhuman
As James point out above, they should actually have included it.

But they hadn't. Probably because they didn't research everything fully just saw something and made a headline out of it and that was it (hence why the article is so short).

Do you support this change in the law, out of interest?

Or do you feel it is morally unconscionable that unaccompanied minors seeking asylum (even if they have no right to remain) will no longer be automatically fully funded by the taxpayer, (tuition fees and living costs), however rich their parents might be?
Original post by Josb
Well, I already pointed out that they don't tell how many scholarships they intend to give.

Have you asked them?
Reply 74
Original post by WBZ144
Unless you haven't noticed: this is only for people who have the status of a refugee, it's actually difficult to claim asylum in the UK. Henceforth, the UK takes less refugees than a number of other countries, both in Europe and the Middle East.

It's not like they can just waltz in and get refugee status tomorrow. For some people it will take decades.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter that it's difficult and can take a long time to get refugee status. These migrants (genuine refugees or not) are still entering Europe in their masses regardless. They don't care about bureaucratic formalities, they only care that they have a (not entirely false) perception in their heads that Europe is some land of milk and honey, where the governments will just hand them everything on plate. This university is just adding to that perception, and in the long run it will just attract yet more illegal migrants into Europe, along with the myriad of problems they bring with them. I'm sure Bristol are doing this with the best of intentions, but it is still an irresponsible move, in my opinion.

Though I suppose in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the German government's recent handling of this whole crisis, one university handing out a few scholarships probably won't make any difference at this point. The cat is already long out of the bag.
Reply 75
Original post by 999tigger
Have you asked them?

Yeah, they are going to answer me. :rolleyes:
Reply 76
Original post by generallee
Do you support this change in the law, out of interest?

Or do you feel it is morally unconscionable that unaccompanied minors seeking asylum (even if they have no right to remain) will no longer be automatically fully funded by the taxpayer, (tuition fees and living costs), however rich their parents might be?

I don't really care tbh.

But I would like to know what "morally unconscionable" means.
Original post by Josb
Yeah, they are going to answer me. :rolleyes:

Why not?
Original post by inhuman
I don't really care tbh.

But I would like to know what "morally unconscionable" means.

It was a tautology for effect.

And you knew exactly what it meant...
The daily express is renowned for articles designed to stir up racial hatred.

Quick Reply