Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

A Level for Law

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I want to take Law at university and was hoping for some advice on which A-Levels to choose.
    Currently I'm planning on taking History, Law, Government and Politics, Maths...
    But I'm unsure if I still want to take maths as even though I'm predicted an A at GCSE in concerned at how hard its going to be.
    Any suggestions on what to stop it with, to not replace it or to keep it??
    Thank you!!

I applied to Law for the 2016 UCAS cycle and was accepted by Durham, Oxford, York, Nottingham and Lancaster. This was with these subjects at AS and A2:

AS: Maths, Economics, Biology, History, EPQ.
    A2: Economics, Biology, History.

At interview I met people with a huge range of subjects - lots of people took History and/or English Lit, but some also took wholly STEM subjects. There is no 'right' combination for Law, although there are some obvious choices. The ones you have suggested seem fine, but some of the very top unis ask for at least 2 'band A' subjects at A2. History and Maths fit this criteria no problem, although Law and Gov/Pol are 'band B'. Which would you keep at A2?

The reason I dropped Maths at AS was because I found it so difficult. Whether or not you will be successful depends on upon the person and one question: do you think like a mathematician?

Personally, I do not. I got a pretty secure A* at GCSE so I decided to continue with it to AS, which in many ways I do not regret. It was completely new and pretty rewarding once you get the hang of something, but this came at a heavy price. I would do double the homework each week, complete every single paper available and get outside help but yet it was the bane of my studies. I really, really struggled. Around exam season, I finally started banging full marks on every past paper, yet when I went into the exam hall and met questions with difficult twists and new intricacies, I panicked. In the end I managed to achieve 86 UMS average across the AS Level (so a grade A), but I never fully understood what I was doing; plus, when I consider Biology (a subject I only really started trying in just before exam season because I was so preoccupied with Maths before this) and the ease with which I achieved over 90 UMS, it reminds me how much effort Maths really did require. I certainly wouldn't have been able to achieve an A* at A2 unless I pushed myself even harder than I did in Year 12.

But don't let this put you off - there were others in my class that would get full marks on every question after meeting the theory once, and they would only need to brush up on it a few days before the exam. It just made sense to them.

Make the decision based on your own way of thinking - only you fully understand your own mind. But, even if you do choose a subject that you aren't compatible with, anything is achievable if you push yourself and are prepared for lots of blood, sweat and tears :-)
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.