The Student Room Group

Is there a certain age where it becomes hard to find a relationship?

My sister is 36 and still hasn't found the right boyfriend. She didn't really date throughout her 20's she's very introverted but keeps herself physically fit everyday. She tried dating a man older than her but it didn't work out she said due to the age gap mainly. I'm not sure what to advise her ie is time running out for her to meet someone or should I tell her not to rush, as she does enjoy being single/her own company a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Well as you get older more in relationships so less people... so logically yes.
I think based on your appearance alone, it becomes harder after 35 maybe, but different people age differently so some people still really look young in their 40s.
But that doesn't mean women can't find men after they start to lose their looks, it just means you have to be more charming with your personality to entice guys in
As somebody above stated, the older you get, the more people will be in relationships. But then again, marriages breakdown and relationships fall apart once people reach the age where they discover they want different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It's hard at every age if you're me
Reply 5
Original post by UWS

lol^

I think your prime time for finding a partner is around early twenties to 30. That being said, plenty of relationships fail and it can feel like you've wasted years of your life on the wrong person.

Personally, I'd like to be married by 30, which gives me 8 years to find someone... the clock is ticking. As a guy though, the age is probably a bit higher as you'll have a bigger pool of younger women.
Absolutely not. People fall in and out of relationships all the time at all stages of life.
In a way, yes, because a lot of people will have settled down.

Tell her to go to meetups and joining online dating; generally speaking with the latter people are a lot more serious about finding someone when you're in that age group. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by UWS

PRSOM
Reply 9
In my experiences, it depends on your career choices and the success of your relationships so far. I stupidly chose a long, difficult and unrewarding career path which means I will spend 11 years studying and I won't get my first degree or start on the career ladder until I'm nearly 30. Obviously the age aspect is out of my hands - I can't help what I chose to study and that I'll probably never save enough to get my own flat or car. It would have helped if I had supportive girlfriends along the way, but seeing as they all turned out to be cows - it seems I am condemned to spend my life on my own. Seeing as the only thing girls want from men is material gains like money, fame, big house, flash cars etc - not all of us are going to be able to meet those standards. I think the question you should be asking is: is there a certain age when women give up on men? My answer to that would be 18-19 (i.e. right after I finished my A-Levels).
Reply 10
My aunt just got married for the second time at the age of 72.
Swings and roundabouts really.

Younger people have more options available in terms of more people their age that are single, but there is also more 'competition' around.

As you get older, being single can feel a bit tough sometimes in that you tend to find most people your age are in steady relationships or have families, but there are always people coming out of relationships, getting divorced, or to be honest having affairs. There's also a different dynamic between single people that kicks in when you get to late 20s or older, in that single people are more available in terms of time than those especially who have families, and also more up for doing stuff with other single people, so when you do find singles that you are interested in there's more of a chance of hanging out together and giving it a go than when you're 20, and the person you are interested in is probably going out 4 times a week, on Tinder with multiple dates already arranged, and basically you're just one of many on their shortlist.

Also it depends where you live, in cities it's easier to meet other older singles. London especially, given the lack of affordable housing, is a place where single people are driven together through houseshares, so whilst the concept of living like a student in a shared flat in your 30s/40s might sound unappealing, it does mean if you are single you're likely to find it easy to find others in the same boat and not feel like the odd single loner in your social group.
I'm 25 and find it difficult to meet guys who either aren't settled or aren't just looking for fun.
In a city it might be easier as a single person. I find I meet more likeminded people in big cities than in the small towns where people mostly live traditional lives (Get married in mid to late 20s, get a job and have kids). Much more cosmopolitan, diverse, lots more social opportunities and places other than your typical meat-markets, Wetherspoons and and pubs (open mic nights, jazz nights, chill out bars, late gyms, concerts, theatre, ballet, gigs, meet-ups etc)
(edited 7 years ago)
That said being single and childless is amazing compared to being single with kids. Embrace it. Take up hobbies, etc.
Original post by sr90
Everyone I meet my age is already tied down or engaged.

I'm in a team of 20 at work and i'm the only one who doesn't have a significant other. Went to a family get together the other week and I was the only one there on my own. Even looking back at old uni friends on Facebook, they're all tied down. You get the picture.

I've given up to be honest. If you get to 25 without meeting anyone you clearly aren't ever going to.

Sad but true. I turn 25 next month and have given up too. But try and think of it positively: there's a reason why marriage is called being "tied down". Those people who got married early will never get to live their lives to full potential if they've got a husband/wife at home nagging them. At least being single means you can do whatever you want with your life, go out and live your dreams without someone "tying you down". That's my aim until I'm at least 40. :smile:
Obviously you dont believe that. Its simply not true. Love is uncontrollable like rain. It will find you I promise. Your umbrella needs not be ostentatious nor advertising.
Reply 17
I think if you want to settle down and have kids conventionally it important not to be to relaxed about finding a good partner in the prime dating years of your life. And particularly age 25-35 you should be looking for a suitable partner and not risking long relationships with someone you have an inkling wont work out. Of course this is a generalisation and you can find a love and any age and I guess people come around again once they have come through messy divorces.
Original post by MissDetermined
I'm 25 and find it difficult to meet guys who either aren't settled or aren't just looking for fun.

They're around. Maybe you need to try new activities or evaluate where you're looking? I'm in the same boat though. I'm having a problem finding women who aren't settled, don't have kids and who aren't batshit crazy party animals or boring uptight types who are all career, academia and 'intelligence' (allegedly) and have lost their childish side and don't know how to have fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
From the studies and surveys I have read, and the numerous hours I have poured into research, I can tell you with a 100% certainty that what ever age I currently am is the hardest age to find a relationship. And yes this age changes as mine does...

Latest

Trending

Trending