The Student Room Group

Forces on a ladder

A uniform ladder AB mass m rests in equilibrium. . The ladder lies in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall and makes an acute angle α to the horizontal. A horizontal force P is applied to the ladder in a direction away from and perpendicular to the wall. This force acts at the point one quarter of the way up the ladder. What is the normal force at A
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
A is in contact with a smooth vertical wall and B is in contact with a rough horizontal floor. The ladder lies in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall and makes an acute angle α to the horizontal. The diagram shows this and the working is my attempt at a sloution I need to find an expression for the normal force at A (the normal force at B is mg ) but i'm a bit stuck , I treied like taking moments but it's not going well
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm a little confused, are the two posts text from the same question, or different parts of the same question?
Reply 3
They're the same question I just added more details sorry ! Should've formatted it better
Original post by mik1a
I'm a little confused, are the two posts text from the same question, or different parts of the same question?
Reply 4
Original post by Pinkberry_y
My brother pushed me off a ladder once

No wonder ,with unhelpful comments like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending