The Student Room Group

Is my Maths UMS good enough for Durham (and also possibly Cambridge)

C1 - 98
C2 - 98
M1 - 100
M2 - 88
FP1 - 87
S1 - 100

Although it averages out to 95, I am a bit worried about my bad days on FP1/M2 (acc FP1 was a bad day, M2 was just really hard lol).

ty x

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

What subject? In all likelihood it's fine for both universities.
Reply 3
it's fine for both

/thread
Original post by CaiusMartius
C1 - 98
C2 - 98
M1 - 100
M2 - 88
FP1 - 87
S1 - 100

Although it averages out to 95, I am a bit worried about my bad days on FP1/M2 (acc FP1 was a bad day, M2 was just really hard lol).

ty x

Where are the other modules
C3/4 - you did FP1 so I'm confused how you also did an extra applied
Original post by Maths is Life
Where are the other modules
C3/4 - you did FP1 so I'm confused how you also did an extra applied

I did Maths AS and Further Maths AS :smile:

My Maths AS was C1 C2 M1

My Further Maths AS was S1 M2 and FP1
Thanks for all the replies :smile:))
Original post by CaiusMartius
I did Maths AS and Further Maths AS :smile:

My Maths AS was C1 C2 M1

My Further Maths AS was S1 M2 and FP1

Only M2 is A2

There is no way you can get an A* rn because FP1 is counted as AS

Are you in wales?
The choice of units is irregular
Usually its 2 core with applied

Sorry - I'm still confused - I'll do some research

Right so you'll be doing C3 and C4 next year? Exam board?
(edited 7 years ago)
Just out of Curiousity I would like to know what ny chances would be like for either of them. My UMS for the following modules (AQA) are:
Maths AS ~ C1 - 100 , C2 - 93 , M1 - 93
Further Maths AS ~ FP1 - 89 , S1 - 76 , D1 - 72

S1 and D1 look bad :frown: . Do the unis mind resits of modules?
Only M2 is A2

There is no way you can get an A* rn because FP1 is counted as AS

Are you in wales?
The choice of units is irregular
Usually its 2 core with applied

Sorry - I'm still confused - I'll do some research

Right so you'll be doing C3 and C4 next year? Exam board?

I wouldn't want an A* right now hahaha I'm in my first year.

Next year I'll be doing C3, C4, FP2, FP3, S2 and S3 I think. We did M2 instead of D1 because our school said it's better
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Just out of Curiousity I would like to know what ny chances would be like for either of them. My UMS for the following modules (AQA) are:

It really depends - they say you should pass the first time but in reality they just want high grades by any means.

You got a 87UMS average which is brilliant. However it really depends if your competing at top Unis with arsey people like me at a 98UMS average
It really depends - they say you should pass the first time but in reality they just want high grades by any means.

You got a 87UMS average which is brilliant. However it really depends if your competing at top Unis with arsey people like me at a 98UMS average

Haha thanks. Lol you aren't arsey :laugh:. Higher probability at Durham than Cambridge?
since when did Durham look at UMS?
Original post by Someboady
since when did Durham look at UMS?

I don't like being an arse but Durham is a top Uni.

On their website it clearly states that you need to provide your UMS so that they can make differences since there are so many maths applicants with A*
Haha thanks. Lol you aren't arsey :laugh:. Higher probability at Durham than Cambridge?

I wouldn't have got an A* if not for my maths teacher - who went to Durham. But like Durham is a top Uni that I want to apply to
I don't like being an arse but Durham is a top Uni.

On their website it clearly states that you need to provide your UMS so that they can make differences since there are so many maths applicants with A*

Okay, but not for Computer Science right?

Cambridge won't be very bothered by the low grades in S1 and D1, as those modules aren't really representative of your mathematical ability. However, your chances will be harmed somewhat by the fact you did badly in both, and your FP1 score isn't particularly high (for Cambridge). You certainly have a chance though, and it's worth applying if your interested. I don't know anything about Durham.
Okay, but not for Computer Science right?

If by top uni you mean top 3 then you are correct. But it is certainly in the top 10.
Original post by sweeneyrod
If by top uni you mean top 3 then you are correct. But it is certainly in the top 10.

Oh no sorry, I meant Durham don't request your UMS for CompSci right?
What universities did you apply for if you don't mind me asking?
Oh no sorry, I meant Durham don't request your UMS for CompSci right?
What universities did you apply for if you don't mind me asking?

Oops, I only read the top half of the quote in your post. And Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol, Durham. I don't know if Durham is necessarily 6th best, but I didn't fancy UCL, Manchester, Southampton or Scottish universities.

Quick Reply

Latest