The Student Room Group

how important are gcse grades to uni applications??

i have already got my IGCSE result from CIE...
Its not really what i have expected, i got 3A*5As and 1B.
I wonder how important are gcse grades to uni applications???
should i retake the english language exam(which i got a B)

Scroll to see replies

Unless you're applying for medicine they rarely seem to matter as long as your A-levels and personal statement are up-to-snuff. Even then your grades are considerably impressive.

My opinion: retake it, just so that you can put on your CV that you received 9 A*-A GCSE's.
Reply 2
Original post by shirleydongj

Well it depends what university you're applying to. Some want a C in Maths and English Language, and some want a B. As long as you passed both I don't see a reason for you to retake unless you really want that A... Universities top priority are your A-level grades. Fact of the matter is, no university or employer is going to care if you got 12 A*s or 100 A*s at GCSE, as long as you passed English Language and Maths you're as good as gold.

Only Medicine and Oxford care about your GCSEs. As long as you've passed your Maths English and sciences other unis don't really care
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Only Medicine and Oxford care about your GCSEs. As long as you've passed your Maths English and sciences other unis don't really care

oh.....but I'm still like hoping to get into oxbridge....
do i still get a chance??
Original post by Vyres
Well it depends what university you're applying to. Some want a C in Maths and English Language, and some want a B. As long as you passed both I don't see a reason for you to retake unless you really want that A... Universities top priority are your A-level grades. Fact of the matter is, no university or employer is going to care if you got 12 A*s or 100 A*s at GCSE, as long as you passed English Language and Maths you're as good as gold.

But some says that uni really care about your english grades???
also I'm still like hoping to apply for oxbridge, will the grade affect my application??
Yeah they do care about English grades, A/B for Cambridge will be fine and A* for Oxford
also I'm still like hoping to apply for oxbridge, will the grade affect my application??
Reply 7

Yeah of course keep your English Language & Maths grades up to scratch (C or B), but you got really good results, and I highly doubt that any top university would reject you with a B in English Language. Plus, if you're applying with amazing A-level results, then you shouldn't have an issue. All these top universities at the end of the day care about your personality and learning ability. There are a lot of factors that universities consider when giving you a place, not just your grades. You'll be fine with the GCSEs you have, but if it puts your mind at rest you can resit it if you want. Just make sure to come out with really good A-level grades.
Yeah they do care about English grades, A/B for Cambridge will be fine and A* for Oxford
Original post by Vyres
Yeah of course keep your English Language & Maths grades up to scratch (C or B), but you got really good results, and I highly doubt that any top university would reject you with a B in English Language. Plus, if you're applying with amazing A-level results, then you shouldn't have an issue. All these top universities at the end of the day care about your personality and learning ability. There are a lot of factors that universities consider when giving you a place, not just your grades. You'll be fine with the GCSEs you have, but if it puts your mind at rest you can resit it if you want. Just make sure to come out with really good A-level grades.

Thanksss i will try my best in a levels.
wish you a good day:smile:
Those results are fine. Many people are interviewed at both Oxford and Cambridge, and offered places, every year with considerably worse grades. Focus on whatever qualifications you are taking next as they will be far far more important.

Outside of a few particular universities and courses it is broadly true that, aside from adequate performance in English and mathematics, universities do not care enormously about your GCSE grades. Even if they do, you will be an above average applicant (with regards to GCSE grades) at the vast majority of universities anyway.

What are you planning on taking? Since A levels have been reformed and you no longer sit AS, GCSEs are more important than ever in applying to uni, but if your course has an admissions test your result in this will count for more. Also it is not the grades you get at GCSEs that count, it is how you did on average compared to the rest of your school and area. This means even if your school is rubbish, you won't be at a disadvantage. Good luck!
Original post by Cara Exall
What are you planning on taking? Since A levels have been reformed and you no longer sit AS, GCSEs are more important than ever in applying to uni, but if your course has an admissions test your result in this will count for more. Also it is not the grades you get at GCSEs that count, it is how you did on average compared to the rest of your school and area. This means even if your school is rubbish, you won't be at a disadvantage. Good luck!

I actually will sit for AS as i will be doing Edexcel IAL. (Im a international student from Hong Kong). I will take Math, Further math, Physics and Chemistry. (I really want to take bio as my fifth subject but maybe that will be a little bit too much for me??) I am not yet decided what course i want to do in uni, probably math or computer science or engineering? I know they both have admission tests though.
Thanks for your reply and wish you have a good day!
Reply 13
I actually will sit for AS as i will be doing Edexcel IAL. (Im a international student from Hong Kong). I will take Math, Further math, Physics and Chemistry. (I really want to take bio as my fifth subject but maybe that will be a little bit too much for me??) I am not yet decided what course i want to do in uni, probably math or computer science or engineering? I know they both have admission tests though.
Thanks for your reply and wish you have a good day!

5 subjects is possible, but I definitely would NOT push for 6. Just be prepared to put A LOT of work into it if you're going to take 5 subjects.
Original post by Vyres
5 subjects is possible, but I definitely would NOT push for 6. Just be prepared to put A LOT of work into it if you're going to take 5 subjects.

But my school make us all do epq. So thats also a reason why I'm undecided. Maybe i can try for the first week of sixth form with four and see how it goes??
Reply 15
But my school make us all do epq. So thats also a reason why I'm undecided. Maybe i can try for the first week of sixth form with four and see how it goes??

I mean 4 is already enough, I'm sure if you just stick to the four you can come out with an AAAA, so there is no real reason to do a fifth A-level.
Original post by Vyres
I mean 4 is already enough, I'm sure if you just stick to the four you can come out with an AAAA, so there is no real reason to do a fifth A-level.

i will just try that out for the first week. Thanks a lot though. wish you have a nice day:smile:
Hi,

When I was at school I was really lazy and did not know the consiqunces of failing my Gcses. Therefore I left with the following GCSEs

GCSE English C
Btec science Pass
Btec IT Pass
Btec Sport Pass

After realising I messed up, I went on to retaking my GCSE maths and ended up getting a grade C for maths.

Because I now had English and maths at grade C I was accepted onto a level 3 extended diploma in Engineering and I am predicted D* D* D* ( distinctions in both maths units). I am also doing many extra curricular activities such as Summer schools, EPQ and also volunteering.

My question is, wil unis such as University of Nottingham , Birmingham and aston still consider me even with really poor GCSEs. However I do exceed their A level/ level 3 requirements ? Please help I'm reall worried😟😞

I want to do the Beng in Mechcanical engineering.
(edited 7 years ago)
oh.....but I'm still like hoping to get into oxbridge....
do i still get a chance??

I'd say Oxford you don't have a likely chance but Cambridge you may have a chance provided your A Levels are really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sometimes they can matter.
GCSEs can be used as an indicator to see how varied you are in the subjects you took.
They can also be used for when your A-level grades weren't as great - almost as a back-up.

Generally though, if your A-levels were fine and your personal statement is good, then you have no issues at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending