The Student Room Group

It's a disgrace that Britain is not welcoming the Calais refugees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iridocyclitis
- Family and friends in Britain.

Family is the only acceptable grounds, how many would that be? And if they genuinely had family in Britain they wouldn't have made the journey, they would have claimed in the camps.

- Don't speak French but speak English.

Given mostly poor English, they can learn French

- Perhaps they have had a bad experience with the French authorities and feel scared. Also France is demonstrating a lot of right-wing policies at the moment and maybe they think they will have a more tolerant and multicultural future in Britain.

And Britain isn't like that? How about the Germans and Merkel's attitude to them?
Reply 41
Because they are refugees.

:lol: strong debating skills.

I ask again:
How do you know they are refugees and not criminals on the run wishing to have a new identity in Europe?
- Family and friends in Britain.
- Don't speak French but speak English.
- Perhaps they have had a bad experience with the French authorities and feel scared. Also France is demonstrating a lot of right-wing policies at the moment and maybe they think they will have a more tolerant and multicultural future in Britain.
1. Then they can go and visit them, either way this isn't a valid cause for migration if they're adults.
2. Then they can learn French, they've been there long enough.
3. And Britain doesn't have a prolific right-wing scene? Have you ever heard of UKIP?

That fact of the matter is, none of these are valid cases for asylum. A genuine refugee accepts accommodation where they can get it that's safe. It doesn't matter how much more they like country x than country y, if country y is safe and you arrive there first then that's where you stay. They have travelled through a lot of countries to get to France, we have no responsibility to accept them. They're safe, and that's all that counts.
Reply 43
Original post by TheTechN1304
Why? How many safe countries did they pass to get to Calais? Hell they're in FRANCE right now and they're still not satisfied. Sorry, but they don't have my sympathy. If they were real asylum seekers they wouldn't have travelled across Europe to get to where they are. This is economic migration, and I'm glad Britain isn't falling for it.

You're heartless, please take some of them. :sad:

They are very qualified you know and will contribute positively to the British economy.
Original post by Josb
:lol: strong debating skills.

I ask again:
How do you know they are refugees and not criminals on the run wishing to have a new identity in Europe?

Thats chicken and egg though. About 40% of them will be refugees, so oys a question of being able to sort them from the economic migrants. Thats what you have an asylum system for.
They're only refugees in the first safe country they arrive in. Thereafter, they're are migrants.

Anyway, we struggle to house our own, so why make the problem worse?

Send them to Australia, they have plenty of space with a population of 20 million in a country the size of Europe.

Plus, they're mostly from a backwards culture which enslaves women and gays. Don't want anyone like that in Europe, let alone the UK, thank you very much.

How about you have some come and live with you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JRKinder
1. Then they can go and visit them, either way this isn't a valid cause for migration if they're adults.
2. Then they can learn French, they've been there long enough.
3. And Britain doesn't have a prolific right-wing scene? Have you ever heard of UKIP?

That fact of the matter is, none of these are valid cases for asylum. A genuine refugee accepts accommodation where they can get it that's safe. It doesn't matter how much more they like country x than country y, if country y is safe and you arrive there first then that's where you stay. They have travelled through a lot of countries to get to France, we have no responsibility to accept them. They're safe, and that's all that counts.

Not really true. An individual can seek asylum where they wish, its just we have the channel which acts as a natural barrier against anyone making a claim.
Original post by 999tigger
Thats chicken and egg though. About 40% of them will be refugees, so oys a question of being able to sort them from the economic migrants. Thats what you have an asylum system for.

Ummm, if they're trekking the thousands of miles beyond the necessary for safety you have to be brain dead to be able to say they aren't economic migrants while keeping a straight face.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Ummm, if they're trekking the thousands of miles beyond the necessary for safety you have to be brain dead to be able to say they aren't economic migrants while keeping a straight face.

Well go away and read the 51 convention and when you understand how refugee and asylum law works then come back with something decent to say.
I couldn't agree more than it is a disgrace. The problem with the country is we are letting a few hundred thousand racists in the North control us, like when they dragged us out of Europe. Britain has a long history of accepting people from war torn countries and the fact that we are turning are backs on these refugees will be judged very badly by future generations. Britain does not need less immigration, we need MORE immigration. Quite frankly people need to drop this fear of Muslims and unite around a fear of; this nasty, ideologically right wing government, the British right and UKIP voters (I know that's the same as the British right but they just make me so angry)
Original post by kittien9
Because britain is known for its tolerance right? This is the same britain that has bombed these afghans right out of their homes. Also, you are correct in an above comment about them having family in the UK, a lot of them do including minors. These same people chatting s**t about them coming here for benefits we all know are simply racist idiots, as if people would travel on foot through continents and countries where the situation for refugees is much, much worse and then live in a camp which we have documented proof of it being basically less than a shanty town simply to come in and claim benefits. God forbid if they actually get in and start working - then theyre stealing all the jobs! A quick look here and there even if only on TSR can you show you the extent of hatred and racism that runs deep in a certain demographic who have caused the biggest problems on the planet and yet deflect blame here there and everywhere. They also, coincidentally are the ones super quick to respond to each and every thread on any type of ethnic minority business here in TSR, in other words, racist failures unemployed living their life on state paid internet.

How is being against migrants coming here when they're in a safe country already racist? And they're not even refugees. They're economic migrants/illegal immigrants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Actually, as France is a safe country 0% of them are technically refugees. Just face it, you're plucking numbers out of thin air. Just honestly tell me: what is so horrible about France that Britain mustn't do anything else but bend over backwards to take the refugees?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 52

Unfortunately, they don't want to register for asylum.
Not really true. An individual can seek asylum where they wish, its just we have the channel which acts as a natural barrier against anyone making a claim.
No, any individual can seek asylum in the first safe country that they reach. They're in France; they're safe. Unless they go all the way around the Iberian peninsula, make their way up past Portugal and land in Cornwall, they're classed as migrants and not refugees.
Original post by JRKinder
No, it isn't just an issue for mainland Europe. That's why we're fighting ISIS to cut the head off the snake, and taking refugees from camps in the Middle East so they don't have to make the dangerous journey across the Med. But my original point still stands: what is wrong with the previous 10 countries that they've walked through to get here? They want to come here because they can get generous benefits if they're unskilled, or higher paying jobs than in Eastern Europe if they are skilled. Before you (if not you then someone else) say "what's wrong with them wanting a better life?", absolutely nothing. But with that attitude we'd have to invite a billion Africans, hundreds of millions of South Americans and many others. It's just not physically viable, a nation state's primary responsibility is to act in the interests of its own citizens. We have to be pragmatic about this crisis, not ideological.

That's to assume though that I'm referring to British life as idyllic and the perfect substitute for hardship and that's simply not true. My opinion is that world leaders need to do more - other than just bombing the sh*t out of every city they might seem a threat because, let's face it, that kills way more civilians than terrorists and overall leads to more crisis.

Ideally we'd take all of them, but I'm not exactly asking for that, just saying we should do more. Your original point is a good one but when you look at countries like Greece whose economy is still abysmal then you can kind of see why people might not want to stay there; it simply can't sustain so many people in need and they know that. Hence my need to push for countries like Britain to step to the plate and do a little more. Even our post-Brexit economy is better than many in mainland Europes and the education is renowned so for families it must seem ideal.

Have a fab day 😊
Original post by CHARLIEBSS
I couldn't agree more than it is a disgrace. The problem with the country is we are letting a few hundred thousand racists in the North control us, like when they dragged us out of Europe. Britain has a long history of accepting people from war torn countries and the fact that we are turning are backs on these refugees will be judged very badly by future generations. Britain does not need less immigration, we need MORE immigration. Quite frankly people need to drop this fear of Muslims and unite around a fear of; this nasty, ideologically right wing government, the British right and UKIP voters (I know that's the same as the British right but they just make me so angry)

Why do you favour Muslims over Tories, when Muslims are far, far, far more conservative and right-wing than they are, and even UKIP are.
Original post by Josb
Unfortunately, they don't want to register for asylum.

They do its just in the UK, which theres nothing in law to prevent them from doing so. Hence the impasse.
Original post by CHARLIEBSS
Well I'm not from the North, voted remain (or would have were I 2 months older), and agree that we need immigration. But we need immigrants from countries that share our culture, i.e. Europe, the Anglosphere etc. The last thing we need now is large levels of Middle Eastern immigration.
They do its just in the UK, which theres nothing in law to prevent them from doing so. Hence the impasse.
What do you not understand about this? It's international law that you register for asylum in the first safe country you arrive in. Britain not accepting them on these grounds is entirely lawful.
So there is a lot of crime there? Caused by who? Oh yeah the refugees, there are bad conditions, caused by what? the refugees. they are given tons of help and aid and now they are so selfish that they cannot stay in France or any other country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending