The Student Room Group

GB beaten 1bn population country (China)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Drewski
Which part of "the BBC is reporting" did you not understand? Those aren't my figures.

Did you use those figures or not?

Which part of my post made you think I said you made them up or you calculated them?
Original post by inhuman
Average? So per capita?

So the Olympic program costs what, say £65m? Yeah, somehow I really doubt that. Especially considering this article says that it was estimated that each medal costs £5.5m

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/rio-2016-team-gb-olympic-medals-55m-each-can-we-justify-brits-slump-sofa-a7198906.html

At over 60 medals that is roughly £350m which makes the cost five times the one you stated per capita.

Remember it is four years. Then the figures check out. Mystery solved!
Original post by Quantex
The sad thing about Britain's success in the Olympics is most Brits won't feel inspired to get off their corpulent backsides and take up sport, beating both the Chinese and the French in the obesity league table.

Our inequality pervades everything in these isles. It bubbles to the surface wherever people aren't thinking too hard about covering it up, like with sport.
Reply 23
Original post by scrotgrot
Remember it is four years. Then the figures check out. Mystery solved!

BBC is reporting the "cost of the Olympic programme as £1.09 per average Briton".

His initial post contained no link nor did it mention years or even per capita.
Original post by Tempest II
Actually it's only £543 million a year which really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things (and it comes out of National Lottery ticket prices) . The NHS budget is forecast to be over £140 billion next year for example.
Our Foreign Aid Budget is about £10 billion annually to put our funding in perspective.

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/how-uk-sport-funding-works

Well the bigger point I think is that infrastructure and funding for sport IN GENERAL is an incredibly good thing to be investing money in if you're talking about health.

Which is to say that while this amount of funding for the sake of winning medals alone is lunacy (it is just a game afterall) that's not all the money is going to *
Original post by inhuman
BBC is reporting the "cost of the Olympic programme as £1.09 per average Briton".

Why are you so combative? We have figured out what the figure refers to
Reply 26
Original post by scrotgrot

Because I don't like Drewski :wink:
Original post by inhuman

Reply 28
Original post by limetang
Well the bigger point I think is that infrastructure and funding for sport IN GENERAL is an incredibly good thing to be investing money in if you're talking about health.

Which is to say that while this amount of funding for the sake of winning medals alone is lunacy (it is just a game afterall) that's not all the money is going to *

Except the number of people doing half an hour exercise is actually already less than pre London.
Original post by inhuman
Because I don't like Drewski :wink:

Aw bless, I've gotten so much under your skin you feel the need to make a point about trying to rile me. Very sweet of you.

Glad I'm so very memorable to you, shame nobody knows or cares who you are, isn't it?
It IS about the money, money, money...
Reply 31
Original post by Drewski
Aw bless, I've gotten so much under your skin you feel the need to make a point about trying to rile me. Very sweet of you.

Glad I'm so very memorable to you, shame nobody knows or cares who you are, isn't it?

It would be rather pretentious and foolish to care whether someone knows who I am online. But hey, maybe next time you can come up with an insult that means anything. Keep trying!
Original post by James.Carnell
I don't get the British. You spend a lot of money making a few athletes very rich. When that money could have been spent on hospitals and schools.

It's not either/or. The UK has tax revenues around £800bn, if we chose not to do something it's because we've chosen not to as opposed to not being able to afford it.

Original post by Dhanny
Why blame us British? Its our government that does it.

Btw, let me assume that you're American or Russian, couldnt the billions youve spent on space programs have been useful in hospitals and schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those space programmes lead to growth in telecommunication industries. Places like India having space programmes is broadly a smart thing for them.

Original post by inhuman
How much did Team GB spend per capita and per medal?

What is the obesity rate like in China and in France?

China's is rising fairly rapidly, the French are lower than us but higher than the global average.
Original post by inhuman
Except the number of people doing half an hour exercise is actually already less than pre London.

Indeed. Exercise inequality seems to be increasing whereby the people that did sport before 2012 have been inspired to do even more now, but the masses still sit at home.
Reply 34
Original post by Rakas21
It's not either/or. The UK has tax revenues around £800bn, if we chose not to do something it's because we've chosen not to as opposed to not being able to afford it.

Those space programmes lead to growth in telecommunication industries. Places like India having space programmes is broadly a smart thing for them.

China's is rising fairly rapidly, the French are lower than us but higher than the global average.

Yea, read an interesting article on the Chinese that says now that they have come to the top (since starting to partake) and had their home Olympics, it is becoming a bit less of a "gold is a must" and "make our nation proud". A possible explanation of why they did worse this time. But the government still having these views would explain increased funding.
Reply 35
Original post by Rakas21
Indeed. Exercise inequality seems to be increasing whereby the people that did sport before 2012 have been inspired to do even more now, but the masses still sit at home.

Would love to see figures for kids though, not population as a whole. That would mean something for the future.

Not to mention while I don't think much of nationalism or patriotism, I cannot deny it's pretty cool to have your country do well and have something to cheer about.
Original post by inhuman
Would love to see figures for kids though, not population as a whole. That would mean something for the future.

Not to mention while I don't think much of nationalism or patriotism, I cannot deny it's pretty cool to have your country do well and have something to cheer about.

Must confess that the Olympics is about the only thing i support GB at. In the world cup i tend to go with Netherlands/Brazil and in tennis i actively dislike Murray. Was rooting for GB on the horse, bike and boat stuff, even watched the golf.
Reply 37
Original post by Rakas21
Must confess that the Olympics is about the only thing i support GB at. In the world cup i tend to go with Netherlands/Brazil and in tennis i actively dislike Murray. Was rooting for GB on the horse, bike and boat stuff, even watched the golf.

Once every four years you watch sports that you never do.

Personally I love the gymnastics and was so happy Hambüchen crowned his career with gold.
Original post by Drewski
Tbf, 65 countries with populations under a billion also beat a country with the population of a billion (India).

Just because a country's big does not mean they'll spend a lot of money to be good at olympic sport.

Fyp but the ultimate truth is there appears to be no end in sight to the benefits of our Brexit vote.

Back in the BIG LEAGUES BABY
(edited 7 years ago)
China has more medals. Just less gold

Quick Reply

Latest