The Student Room Group

Recommended French Films Pre-A-Level

I'm about to start (AQA) French at A-Level and have been instructed to watch some french films. Are there any that are particularly useful or good in terms of vocabulary expansion (Yes I do understand that virtually anything would probably be fine)? Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Amelie, Populaire, anything with audrey tatou in it tbh.

Maybe if you know the topics you'll be studying you can watch films with similar themes??
(edited 7 years ago)
I did my AS oral exam (OCR) on Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis, which is about a man from the south of France who is relocated to the very north due to his job. It's a comedy about the cultural differences between the two parts of France, and introduces you to the 'ch'ti' dialect, which is essentially a lisp that all the locals have in this particular area in the north. It's by no means on the specification (no-one will ask you to write an essay in ch'ti!) but it's fairly simple French and a nice way to get into French culture (if I remember correctly it's the most successful French film of all time).
I second Populaire, it is a beautiful film! La Haine (more for cultural appreciation than for language as it is so hard to understand all the slang etc), the new Petit Prince film, Amelie, LOL etc. I used to watch disney films in french merely because it helps to be familiar with the story when watching films in a foreign language and as they are aimed at kids, the speech is often slightly slower!
Reply 4
i know a french series called "extra francais". its a comedy based is beautiful Paris! google it or find it on youtube...i found it very helpful:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest