The Student Room Group

How do you really feel about dying?

Seeing as I'm opening the thread, I'd like to give my two cents on what death means to me.

I don't find the concept of death in itself terrifying, but to die without doing the things that matter to me most would be terrifying. What really intensifies this terror is the evidence in real life of people, who have not led complete lives, coming to an abrupt and stunted end. We see this in the media all the time, as real people die in wars and of cancers and illness.

Real fear, for me at least, is that my underachieving and empty life would end tomorrow before I could even make sense of it enough to make it into something worthwhile.

I realise that this is a pretty heavy subject, but I believe that we need to discuss things like this. As a society, death is still something of a taboo, but we need to come to terms with it so that we can make sense our own lives a little better. After all, we live in a huge, complex place, a cacophony of confusion. We need each other more than we know.
I agree that death should not be as much of a taboo as it is. For me I know its inevitable so want to make the most out of my life and try and help people in some way throughout it. My dad died quite suddenly when I was younger, so that has really motivated me to live every day as if it was my last really.
Original post by JPO92
Seeing as I'm opening the thread, I'd like to give my two cents on what death means to me.

I don't find the concept of death in itself terrifying, but to die without doing the things that matter to me most would be terrifying. What really intensifies this terror is the evidence in real life of people, who have not led complete lives, coming to an abrupt and stunted end. We see this in the media all the time, as real people die in wars and of cancers and illness.

Real fear, for me at least, is that my underachieving and empty life would end tomorrow before I could even make sense of it enough to make it into something worthwhile.

I realise that this is a pretty heavy subject, but I believe that we need to discuss things like this. As a society, death is still something of a taboo, but we need to come to terms with it so that we can make sense our own lives a little better. After all, we live in a huge, complex place, a cacophony of confusion. We need each other more than we know.
I try not to think about it because when I really think about the fact that in the not too distant future I will experience no life for the rest of time, it makes me feel sick.

It kind of makes me feel opposite to you. Why does it matter whether you have done what you want in life once you're are dead? It's not like you will have any regrets.

Whatever I do in my lifetime will mean nothing to me in 100 years because I will be dead and won't be here to feel anything about my life.
(edited 7 years ago)
I may have a genetic disease that could shorten my lifespan. Since learning about it, I have started to appreciate and value each day more as they come. It's also made me realise that I really do not want to die before fulfilling my dreams and ambitions, and that I need to work harder towards them.

Sorry for being so cheesy. I had to get it out. :rofl:
Honestly, I'm terrified I'll die before I do the things I want to do to make my life worthwhile.

Sure the thought of death itself makes me feel weird and it's scary, but I'm definitely more scared of not having accomplished all the things I want to do in life - and there's a lot of things!
Reply 5
Death itself makes me feel at peace
Original post by Sternumator
I try not to think about it because when I really think about the fact that in the not too distant future I will experience no life for the rest of time, it makes me feel sick.

It kind of makes me feel opposite to you. Why does it matter whether you have done what you want in life once you're are dead? It's not like you will have any regrets.

Whatever I do in my lifetime will mean nothing to me in 100 years because I will be dead and won't be here to feel anything about my life.

Ultimately, even though it's easy to say that nothing matters, as human beings we can't help but find meaning everywhere. We assess anything and everything in relation to the values we hold. If you want to say that nothing matters, then you actually have to believe it and if you do, then why even live? And thus, if it is the meaning you can't help but have, that drives you to live, then it seems logical to strive to find as much meaning as possible in the world.
Original post by Pemble
Ultimately, even though it's easy to say that nothing matters, as human beings we can't help but find meaning everywhere. We assess anything and everything in relation to the values we hold. If you want to say that nothing matters, then you actually have to believe it and if you do, then why even live? And thus, if it is the meaning you can't help but have, that drives you to live, then it seems logical to strive to find as much meaning as possible in the world.

I agree with you. I don't want to say nothing matters because I want to live and I want to enjoy life for the time I am alive. I want to find meaning in my life which is why I try to avoid thinking about death. When I confront the issue of death, it makes me realise that it is all meaningless in the end and everything in life is temporary.
Original post by Sternumator
I agree with you. I don't want to say nothing matters because I want to live and I want to enjoy life for the time I am alive. I want to find meaning in my life which is why I try to avoid thinking about death. When I confront the issue of death, it makes me realise that it is all meaningless in the end and everything in life is temporary.

Remember that finding meaning != being happy all the time. It just means acting in a way that matters to you. So for example, when death scares you, instead of avoiding it, react to it in a way that is meaningful to you. Otherwise you just give the idea more power.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending