Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Studying Math in North America

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm a UK university student considering a study abroad year (I study mathematics) and my friend just completed a year in Canada studying econ, but he said a lot of math students he spoke to complained about the style of teaching (not that it is bad, just that it was different to UK style and was hard to adapt to).So my question is, how are you taught over there? Do you get access to past papers? Do you get a lot of (preferably good) examples, and a lot of practice question? Do you have workshops with tutors where you go through questions and they help if required?These are the types of questions I'd like answered, thanks.Please state how you know about the teaching styles (from first hand experience or from friends etc etc) Thanks

(Original post by irelandd)
    So my question is, how are you taught over there? Do you get access to past papers? Do you get a lot of (preferably good) examples, and a lot of practice question?
    Hey there,

First of all, good effort on saying "Math" in the title opposed to "Maths" - you'll fit right into North America.

I've only got experience of the teaching in the US, so what I'm going to say may not be completely relevant to Canada. The education systems are more similar than with the UK, but others may give better insight into the specifics of Canada.

I studied abroad to California and the style of teaching was incredibly different. You are continually assessed, so you can be graded on class participation, weekly homeworks, midterm exams, final exams, class projects and so on. I am, and many other UK students are, used to having a final exam which constitutes, say, 80%+ of the overall grade. Whereas in the US, your final exam can be 40% of your overall grade. You have to keep on top of everything, missing a homework here and there can soon drop you a grade band down, so you do need to be very organized with all of your work.

From my experience, I've never had any past papers, and they would rarely help anyway as exam formats and questions can vary a lot year to year. Practice questions were dependent on the professor, it's quite often where you would have tutorial sessions to go over homework questions or sample questions. Most of my work was through reading books. Almost every class I had required you to buy a book, and you NEEDED that book, it wasn't just recommended, it was your study material.

Every single one of my professors were friendly, and encouraged students to go along to office hours, or to ask questions after class. Many classes will have one or two teaching assistants for similar purposes in getting help. This can range from how to solve a question (usually homework related) to what you should be reading.

Just to note, none of this is necessarily bad - it's just very different from the UK system. After my first few months I had settled into it. My main issue was I had zero concept of what it would be like. It can be a bit overwhelming, but you get into the habit quick enough, there's plenty of help for you so it's perfectly manageable.

Studying abroad was without doubt the best thing I've ever done, I honestly cannot recommend it enough. Read up on what to expect, be as prepared as possible and you'll adapt to it no problem. Keep on top of all of your work from day one and you'll get used to the teaching style.

Hope this helps!

Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.