Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Bad AS results

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I recently got my AS results of BBEE Bs in maths and English lit and Es in chem and bio. I got really good grades in gcse 7 A*s and 4 As but this year alot went on and I just couldn't cope. Idealy I want to carry on with maths english and chem because I want to do radiography at uni but I don't know if my school will let me or if I'll get in. English and chemistry are linear courses so my as grades don't count but I'm still really upset. The bad result is because of many things including the work load and I had to take a month off due to uncontrollable circumstances and my bio and chem teachers weren't always there to help. Do you think they'll let me into year 13 and is it worth it? I can't retake the year because I won't be able to retake the same subjects

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    (Original post by Fox Corner)

Well, by the sounds of it, if you have exceptional circumstances (like missing a month of college) then your teachers should be aware that your grades could have been negatively impacted and therefore give you the benefit of a doubt which means that your chemistry teacher might be willing to look past the grade and instead look at how you did last year as a whole. But, you really should contact your college about this as soon as possible so you can get a solid answer!

I hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw that sucks :/ It feels horrible to not get the grades you wanted to, but hopefully your next year won't be so bad, so don't let it get you down. If you had extraneous circumstances, your school should understand and let you continue with the subject. They should let you into year 13 at least, and seeing as you're still capable of As or Bs in at least two subjects it should be worth it. You can still retake, right? Or has legislation changed for that? Retaking your Chemistry may be the best option for you in my opinion, because then if all goes well you could potentially come out with three solid A*-C A-Levels, which puts you in good standing for most universities or apprenticeships/internships. Another option would be to take on an EPQ, which means you can study at your own pace without a lot of interference from teachers, which may be a little better suited to you and are highly respected by even top universities. Other options would be to transfer to a sixth form/ college more willing to help you when you're struggling, especially if you anticipate that you'll struggle with workload or have personal issues that may affect your studies next year. I'm not sure if legislation has changed since, but a friend of mine stayed back in year 12 to repeat the year, which may also be an option if that's still possible. However, it sounds like you're absolutely capable of performing extremely well when you have good circumstances, so don't give up!

From what I know if your biology and chemistry courses are linear, then your AS grades won't be looked at by unis so you'll be okay. There are other people who have been in the same situation as you, so you're not alone I was so disappointed in my AS grades too and I want to apply for a highly competitive course but I think for now, look at the options, you can retake and take a gap year, or apply for three universities for radiography and then two for something else and just don't dwell on it too much. Know that next year, you have the ability to work hard and get the grades you want
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.