The Student Room Group

Don't want to resit year 12, but kicked out of 6th form

My AS results were BBCD in philosophy, media, gen studies and history respectively.

I was happy with these grades, but they were not good enough to progress into year 13 at my sixth form and I cannot retake year 12 there. What can I do now?

If possible I want to finish year 13 this year, but I don't know how I go about applying to other colleges/sixth forms and what my options are. Any help would be much appreciated as I am panicking!
Reply 1
You must go to some sort of posh grammar school for the requirements to be higher than that. BBD (I don't recommend you carry on gen. studies as no uni likes it) could potentially get you predicted AAC.

I would appeal to get accepted to Year 13, because its perfectly doable to do well with those grades.
It depends what you want to do after you leave school. Are history and general studies important subjects for this? If so (or for the satisfaction of getting even better grades), resist year 12. If these subjects are sort of on the side, and the subjects in which you achieved B grades are what you want to do in life, then carry on to year 13. Either way, it appears that you need to find a new sixth form, in which case retaking year 12 is highly recommendable in order to settle in well first.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RedSquirrels
It depends what you want to do after you leave school. Are history and general studies important subjects for this? If so (or for the satisfaction of getting even better grades), resist year 12. If these subjects are sort of on the side, and the subjects in which you achieved B grades are what you want to do in life, then carry on to year 13. Either way, it appears that you need to find a new sixth form, in which case retaking year 12 is highly recommendable in order to settle in well first.

Sorry, retaking year 12 is highly recommendable
I want to study philosophy at uni, and places like Newcastle, Nottingham, Royal Holloway and Liverpool accept GS as far as I know. (Most less 'prestigious' unis also do).

With BBC now I could definitely get the ABB required for these unis, so I'm really frustrated I have not been given the opportunity to do so!
OMGGG thats so mean of your sixth form, you passed everything with good grades :cute:
Get your parents to get involved and to talk to the head of year on behalf of you. Did your sixth form make it clear at the start what grades you needed in order to make it on to A2?
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Get your parents to get involved and to talk to the head of year on behalf of you. Did your sixth form make it clear at the start what grades you needed in order to make it on to A2?

They said CCC but they're saying gen studies doesn't count :/
Reply 8
Original post by Philosophically
They said CCC but they're saying gen studies doesn't count :/

I would persuade the sixth form to let you in. I still wouldn't continue gen. studies as it's still not thought of well. History is a reformed A Level, so your D doesn't mean anything, just pull it out the bag next year.
Thanks for help so far. Does anyone else have any advice?
Original post by Philosophically
Thanks for help so far. Does anyone else have any advice?

Id definitely get your parents involved to speak to the school.
In the meantime, is speak to other 6th forms and colleges in your area to see if any will let you in to continue with your a-levels there (hopefully they will have the same exam boards etc).
Original post by Emma:-)
Id definitely get your parents involved to speak to the school.
In the meantime, is speak to other 6th forms and colleges in your area to see if any will let you in to continue with your a-levels there (hopefully they will have the same exam boards etc).

Thanks, I'm trying to do this :smile:

I just can't believe they kicked me out
You should definitely appeal to be let back in, BBD has a greater point equivalent than CCC.

Quick Reply

Latest