The Student Room Group

I assume i'm gay but I am apprehensive about being gay

I am a 20 year old student raised in Northern Ireland. I'm pretty certain that I am gay or at least have some level of attraction towards men. I didn't start to work out what my sexuality was until around 17 but at that point I decided to ignore it and get on with life. Coming out at that point wouldn't have been a great idea for me.

At 20 now, I am more mature and realistic about the situation. I have started to think about the future and how my life is going to end up. At this stage, I am still finding it difficult to accept that I am probably gay. I suspect my family know, I have had a subtle hints (or so I think) but I am not 100 percent certain. For example, the other week my grandmother/aunt/parents started to talk about a gay neighbour who came out to his wife. The conversation went on for a while but the ghist of it involved them suggesting that a gay man should come out the closet (my father went on about how accepting society is) and that they should not be in a relationship with a woman. I don't know if the conversation was directed at me but it was uncomfortable for me as I felt as though they were trying to force me out of the closet. This is my sexuality but it is not the life that I aspired to as I grew older. I have always seen myself getting married to a woman and having children.. I have always wanted and still want to have one child of my own. I have a number of things stopping me from coming out.. One being the above. The other is the worry of being alone/isolated later in life.. I am a person who likes my company. I also live in Northern Ireland, a relatively religious country - in my area there are quite a few Evangelical Christians who aren't fond of the gay lifestyle (I have friends who write about homosexuality as a sin on Facebook as an example). I have relatives who have expressed discust towards Homosexuals, some have went on to say that the lifestyle is a choice - *I would be worried about the response from these relatives. I would need to be set up financially and comfortable in myself before coming out. I am terrified that I would cut myself off and end up cast off if I were to come out now. I already have self esteem issues and other problems so I wouldn't want to cause myself anymore hassle.

I have been thinking about this lately mainly due to (in my head) hints from my parents. I don't know what to do here. I'm not sure if this is the lifestyle that I want to lead. * *
Reply 1
By saying "I'm not sure this is the lifestyle I want to lead". I am not implying that I would have a relationship with a woman, more that I am gay but would probably not end up in a relationship with a man.

Original post by Anonymous
I am a 20 year old student raised in Northern Ireland. I'm pretty certain that I am gay or at least have some level of attraction towards men. I didn't start to work out what my sexuality was until around 17 but at that point I decided to ignore it and get on with life. Coming out at that point wouldn't have been a great idea for me.

At 20 now, I am more mature and realistic about the situation. I have started to think about the future and how my life is going to end up. At this stage, I am still finding it difficult to accept that I am probably gay. I suspect my family know, I have had a subtle hints (or so I think) but I am not 100 percent certain. For example, the other week my grandmother/aunt/parents started to talk about a gay neighbour who came out to his wife. The conversation went on for a while but the ghist of it involved them suggesting that a gay man should come out the closet (my father went on about how accepting society is) and that they should not be in a relationship with a woman. I don't know if the conversation was directed at me but it was uncomfortable for me as I felt as though they were trying to force me out of the closet. This is my sexuality but it is not the life that I aspired to as I grew older. I have always seen myself getting married to a woman and having children.. I have always wanted and still want to have one child of my own. I have a number of things stopping me from coming out.. One being the above. The other is the worry of being alone/isolated later in life.. I am a person who likes my company. I also live in Northern Ireland, a relatively religious country - in my area there are quite a few Evangelical Christians who aren't fond of the gay lifestyle (I have friends who write about homosexuality as a sin on Facebook as an example). I have relatives who have expressed discust towards Homosexuals, some have went on to say that the lifestyle is a choice - *I would be worried about the response from these relatives. I would need to be set up financially and comfortable in myself before coming out. I am terrified that I would cut myself off and end up cast off if I were to come out now. I already have self esteem issues and other problems so I wouldn't want to cause myself anymore hassle.

I have been thinking about this lately mainly due to (in my head) hints from my parents. I don't know what to do here. I'm not sure if this is the lifestyle that I want to lead. * *

Best thing to do is to find a hot girl and ask her out. Get back to your senses Larry.
This is a completely normal reaction hat come with coming to terms with your sexuality, I was in a really similar position when I realised I was gay, you're just under the impression that you can only be happy in a heterosexual relationship but this could not further from the truth, it will take time for you to accept yourself and I'm sorry that at first, and maybe not at all, some people will not accept you but you can lead a long, happy, fulfilling life and still be gay and you'll be much better off being with someone whom you truly love and care for. Your acceptance of yourself won't come overnight but take time, speak to people and realise that you can be yourself and still be happy. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending