The Student Room Group

Likeliness of an offer!?

I've narrowed down to the 5 universities I wish to apply to, with ABBB AS grades. The A being in Maths, and B's in linear subjects.

UCL - A*A*A
Nottingham - A*AA/AAA/A*AB
Bristol - A*AA
KCL - AAA
St Andrews - AAA

I know applying to UCL is rather optimistic; it's worth a shot though:colondollar:. I'd love to go to either of these 5 universities, so I just wondered how likely I would be to get an offer from each.

I have gathered that having high predicted grades is the most important factor here, so are there any tips on how to show to my teachers that I can achieve higher grades next year? I've learned Core 3 and 4 for A2 Maths and I am averaging around 65 marks for both on past papers at the moment, and have read the textbook through twice for Physics. Will this help to show them that I have initiative/dedication?

(Note: I'm picking up the full Further Maths A level next year, so I am dropping 2 subjects)
There's nothing wrong with applying to universities where the requirements are higher than your predicted - if they like your personal statement and you have a good interview (providing you are interviewed), you might be in with a shot.
What you have done so far to prove your dedication to the subject is good - maybe read a book about physics/maths to take your interest further so you can talk about it deeper with your teachers and on your personal statement.
Original post by CatherineJones23
There's nothing wrong with applying to universities where the requirements are higher than your predicted - if they like your personal statement and you have a good interview (providing you are interviewed), you might be in with a shot.
What you have done so far to prove your dedication to the subject is good - maybe read a book about physics/maths to take your interest further so you can talk about it deeper with your teachers and on your personal statement.

Thank you very much!
None of those universities conduct interviews for applicants so I guess I'll have to work hard on my personal statement. I did intend on reading a book, and then identifying a topic of interest and having a paragraph talking about it in my personal statement, I think that would work well.

All I really need is the A*AA predicted grades and I should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest