Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Does the wage gap even exist?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Facts are that for the same job women get paid the same.

If men and women choose to do different jobs that pay more or less that's down to them.

As soon as equal pay came in that was job done

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish more people realised the difference between wage and earnings. Men and women get paid the same wage but women's earnings are lower because women take more time off whether for holidays or for family while men work more hours and more days. So if women are complaining at the gap it's more of a thing where it's just telling them to work harder and not take as much time off lmao.

Debated this recently, couldn't agree. My understanding was that job was considered a lower priority for Jane Doe compared with social/family.

Men on average work longer hours, they are more likely to sign up for "high risk, high reward" jobs, rather than vocational. Women are more likely to work part time, even without children.

The biggest enemy of this feminist argument, is the other women who want to be able to be the main carer while the husband works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Crazysue1)
    As hinted at in my previous post, our arrangement was that my husband would be the one staying at home as my salary was so much higher than his. Unfortunately, when it came down to it he absolutely refused to do it because (in his words), it reflected badly on his masculinity and he would be the laughing stock amongst his friends.

I was then put into the position of having to leave my very successful career (this was before year long maternity leave rights and extended payments, I had to go back only a short few weeks after delivery as our son was post term) as the costs involved in child care to cover my extended hours (I was management level) was prohibitive and at that time, rather difficult to come by.

Re negotiation, I was a master at that, hence my salary level compared to husband's.
    Then we should be encouraging more men to take paternity and support the woman, who, in this case is the main breadwinner. Win/Win.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.