Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Career Change

Forum navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi guys I'm new to all of this so please bear with me I'd like some help tho...

I'm 25 and have 1 undergrad degree in Econ and Politics 2:1 and the other Masters in economics Pass ...however I want to change career paths completely I'd like to go into construction.

I think I'm interested in Surveying or anything housing, building related. So i applied to go to uni this sept to do a 1 year conversion masters in QS but then I'm thinking its a lot of money what if I don't manage to enter the job market well... So I've been considering doing a BTEC level 3 or HND at a college this sept this will give me the foundations I guess but I'm curious is this the best route what should I do? Can I do an apprenticeship? Am I too old?

What options are there and what would be the best route? Please please help

Yes you're able to get an apprenticeship at your age, I'm in the same boat as you with looking for an apprenticeship, I am the same age as you and I have struggled greatly with getting an apprenticeship. My last interview they even told me they were concerned about my age as I wouldn't be able to support myself off the apprentice wage!, I was absolutely disgusted.Although they are not allowed to discriminate against age, from a business point of view the younger generation are favoured due to be payed less over the duration of the apprenticeship and that's the facts. The current wage for an apprentice is £3.30 aged 16-18 and also £3.30 those aged 19 or over in the first year.Due to you already having a degree I believe you will be able to go straight to the HND or maybe even the HNC which will be the same but with less modules and only taking the 1 year (just in case you decide you don't like it). A major advantage to getting an apprenticeship is being able to drive, so make sure you get that in the bag if you haven't already done so.

Hey Lucas thanks for your response. Ive been looking at both HND and HNC...what im sure about is which to go for? I mean the HND holds more weight than a HNC if im not mistaken. So i am thinking will employers not look for a trainee with a HND rather than a HNC? Also i have a driving licence so thats in the bag for sure hehe. Erm ive taken a look at the entry requirements and they want either a diploma, National Certificate in Construction Level 3 Diploma in Civil Engineering OR Level 3 Diploma in Construction which i dont have.. will my two degrees hold any weight do you think? In regards to the the NMW and apprenticeships i feel like avoiding them completely just because i feel old and have a better idea of worth...if i took one i'd probably work for a year then i'd want a pay rise. What do you think you're gonna do? What field did you study in and what do you want to get into?

I was 24 when I started my apprenticeship, it's not too late, however you may be over qualified for some companies to take you on. If it's a big company they won't have an issue funding your course, but smaller companies rely heavily on government funding for their courses so may not be able to get that because of your level of qualification.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.