The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Retake and Remark Information! 25 August 2016

GCSE Results Day - Thursday 25th August 2016 - Retake and Remark Information

This information concerns GCSE results 2016. For 2017 GCSE remark information please click HERE.

Hello everyone :h: With GCSE Results Day coming up very quickly, I'm sure many of you are starting to get a bit worried about what to do if your results aren't what you were expecting. Of course we hope that you all get the grades you wanted, but for some of you there may be some disappointments :sad: This thread aims to give you all the information you need to be on top of how to go about getting a Retake or Remark!

I'll try to cover all the common questions on here, but if you still have questions then feel free to comment, and one of us will get back to you.

We have some other threads for Results Day if this isn't quite what you're looking for. Before you read this thread, you might want to take a look at the Didn't do as well as you hoped? thread for general advice about lower than expected grades, and whether there's any alternatives to retaking or a remark. We also have the GCSE Results Day Chat thread for general discussion and sharing your grades, and the Grade Boundaries thread, where the grade boundaries will be published as soon as released :awesome:

So from myself, CT and the TSR Support Team- Best of luck in your results! :biggrin:
Retakes
If you understand why your grade was lower than you wanted it to be- maybe you know you didn't perform as well as you could, or you didn't revise enough- then you might want to consider a retake in the next exam season. While for most cases this will be June 2017, for some subjects such as Maths and English, you may be allowed to retake in November of this year. Be aware that 2016 is the last year for November retakes for Maths and English. Please remember that this applies for if you're studying in England- it may be different if you're elsewhere.

Are you sure I have to wait until June next year?!
Yep! Previously there were exams in January, during which you could retake, but these were scrapped three years ago. However, for maths and English (as mentioned above) you may be able to retake in November.

If I just did badly in one exam, can I retake that one?
Before the changes a few years ago, you could retake a single unit (exam), but now if you want to retake, you have to retake the entire subject to satisfy the terminal rule (more information on this further down). You can however, use the same controlled assessments if you wish to retake.

But I can still just retake the one subject?
Yes- you can keep the results for the subjects you're happy with, and retake the ones you're not.

What's the terminal rule then?
The new terminal rule says that you need to have completed 100% of the qualification in the final exam series to be awarded the certificate. This means that if you decide to retake, you will end up with two certificates - one with the original mark and the other with the new, retake mark. Basically, you need to do all of the exams for the subject in a single year for it to count as completing it.

What if I do worse in the retake than my original exam?
Controlled assessments: Regardless of whether it is better or worse, the retake mark will be the one used to count for your grade.Exams: As you will receive two (or more, depending on how many times you retake) certificates, you are entitled to say that you got the highest grade of them. For example, if you did two retakes and your grades were B, C, C (in the order of taking them), you are allowed to say that you got a B in that subject. However, if you are applying for university in the future, you will need to declare all of the grades you got.

If universities can see I did a retake, do they care?
They will only care if you're applying for a competitive course with GCSE requirements as well as A Level ones. While retakes may be frowned upon in this circumstance, most of the time they aren't seen too negatively.

What if I'm still not happy with my retake grade?
You can retake as many times as you want, as long as you meet the terminal rule every time. However, the last opportunities for retaking your exam series will be Summer 2017 if it's turning into a Legacy Exam and a new Specification is being released.

How much does it cost?
There is usually a price, although you will have to contact your exams officer as it often varies between centres and some may pay for you regardless.

Remarks
If you think the grade you were given was incorrect, then you can get a remark. The deadline for asking for a remark is 20th September 2016.

What if the remark is worse than the original?
The remark is the final one that counts, whether it was better or worse than your original.

Do I have to get all of the units remarked, or can I just get one?
Unlike a retake, you can just put forward one unit (exam) for a remark.

How likely is it that my grade will change?
This year, Ofqual have changed how they work their remarks. Previously, it was very common for subjective exams like English and Art to be submitted for remarks and changed, but this was deemed unfair as schools with a lot of money played the system and paid for lots of remarks of people near grade boundaries regardless of whether they thought the mark was unfair.

Now, a change in mark will only happen if there's a genuine marking error or unreasonable marking. We suggest you talk to your teachers and discuss with others about the exam before making a final decision.

Can I get a controlled assessment remarked?
If your controlled assessments were marked by your teacher and a sample sent off for moderation, then you can't request for your controlled assessment to be individually remarked.The centre can request for all of their controlled assessments to be remarked however, but this is up to the centre.

Can I request to see an exam script to help me decide?
For GCSE, you cannot see an exam script (a copy of the exam with your answers and the examiners marking) before requesting a remark. You can request to see the original copy of your script, but it will mean you won't be allowed to remark. After your remark however, you can request to see the paper (at an additional cost). Some subjects may allow you to request this before a remark however, and many will allow you to request it before a clerical check. You should check this with your subject teachers.

What is a clerical check?
A clerical check is a check up and a recount of your marks to see that none were missed. The questions themselves will not be remarked. It is very unlikely that this will change your grade, so a remark is advised over this unless you have direct suspicions that a page was missed, for example.

Do I have to pay?
There is normally a charge for a remark, but talk to your exams officer who will clarify this for you, as charges vary between exam boards and centres. However, if your grade does change, the cost will be refunded.These links should provide you with a summary of the costs:
- AQA
- Edexcel
- OCR
- WJEC

Retake or Remark?
Everyone's situation differs, but here are some common scenarios for you to compare yours to.

If you didn't understand the content of the exam or external factors affected your performance
A retake is definitely advised over a remark.

If you were a few UMS points of the next grade boundary
Your chance of a remark being successful has gone down since previous years, but if you're still willing to pay regardless then it's up to you whether you think it will be worth it. It's difficult for us to tell how less lenient remarks will be as this is the first year of changes.Discuss with your teachers whether they think it's worth it , especially if you don't need the higher grade as an entry requirement.

If you don't think you'll be able to cope with the workload of retaking, but your UMS mark isn't close to the next boundary
This is a much trickier situation. If the subject is very important for your future plans (e.g. you wish to take it at university), then you may want to retake the exam.However, your A Levels/IB/Other Level 3 Qualifications are more important than your GCSE grades, so you need to consider whether it is worth risking these grades by adding to your workload, if you don't really need to improve the GCSE grade.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I only did my core science aqa gcse exam this year and I have achieved an A (359 marks) and I am 1 mark away from an A* (360marks)....
I don't know if I should remark my science papers :/
Well, the A is brilliant - well done.

Science marking is usually pretty accurate and there have been some changes in the way re-marks work this year that mean small alterations in marks are less likely. They are explained here.

It's up to you really - I would put your chances at 20% but that is a guess!

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do.
Reply 3
I got 179/200 total marks for my history GCSE and 180 marks were needed for an A*!! This was what i was aiming for and certainly what i was working for as history was the only subject i truly revised for; all the others were a couple of hours the night before, although i did manage straight As and A*s with this method..... I don't know whether or not to get my history remarked!!
In History I got 356/400, 360 UMS being the A*. A* In all 3 exams but got a B in the CA
Spanish got 206 and 210 UMS being a B
English Language 267, 270 being A* (UMS)

Not sure whether to remark these or to leave it. Gutting for History personally seeing as all 3 exams were A* but likely useless to remark as my CA mark cant be remarked. Shame as thought it was a strong piece.
Original post by isc99
I got 179/200 total marks for my history GCSE and 180 marks were needed for an A*!! This was what i was aiming for and certainly what i was working for as history was the only subject i truly revised for; all the others were a couple of hours the night before, although i did manage straight As and A*s with this method..... I don't know whether or not to get my history remarked!!

Original post by JamieTheb
In History I got 356/400, 360 UMS being the A*. A* In all 3 exams but got a B in the CA
Spanish got 206 and 210 UMS being a B
English Language 267, 270 being A* (UMS)

Not sure whether to remark these or to leave it. Gutting for History personally seeing as all 3 exams were A* but likely useless to remark as my CA mark cant be remarked. Shame as thought it was a strong piece.

Remarks in these situations are very tempting and they might work. Did you feel you did better than the mark? If so, it might be worth it but it does cost a lot and the odds are against you, especially with the changes to the remark system this year.

What you must remember is that your results are excellent anyway and ina short while you'll have forgotten all about those 'near-misses'.

Good luck - tricky decision! Let me know what you decide.
In history (OCR Modern World) I'm 3 marks of an A* which I had been aiming for throughout my GCSE years. I got full makes in my controlled assessment and an A in both exams.
I'm also 4 marks off in Spanish (Edexcel)but my speaking and writing coursework got moderated down to an A and a B from two strong A*s.
Im also 1 mark off an A in RE (OCR)
I'm also 3 marks of an A* in geography (AQA) as the whole schools controlled assessments got marked down (from full marks to an A for me).
I'm not sure if I should consider a remark for any of them or not due to the changes.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was 3 marks off a B in GCSE History (Modern), should I consider asking for a remark? I was also 2 marks off an A in GCSE Geography, should I consider a remark for this or not because they have set answers on a mark scheme?
If I do decide to have one remarked who do I talk to about arranging it?
Can someone advise me, I was 2 UMS marks off an A* in OCR Music.

I got A* in Practical portfolio and Integrated tasks (both coursework), and A in Creative Task and a B in the listening.

Firstly, what can be remarked from this? The creative task was sent off and externally marked, and the listening was as well, but the coursework was internally marked.

In all the mocks my creative tasks were coming out A*, albeit marked by the teacher, and the listening I usually got higher, although I did the find the exam hard.

Should I try and get it remarked? I'm thinking I might as well, I'm so far above the A boundary there's no chance in me slipping to a B and something so subjective as a creative task may find more marks with a different marker?
Should I re take?
I got a C in maths and English lit GCSE and would like to know if I should re take for November. I needed a B in maths for Biology but everyone keeps telling me that because I didn't fail I shouldn't re take.
Hello, I took IGCSE BIOLOGY EDEXCEL and after each exam I came out pretty confident I had done well. I wasn't expecting an A* but I wasn't expecting a fail! Out of the two papers I received 70/180 which is a grade "D" I am absolutely heartbroken. I swear it isn't right. I have asked my exam office for an immediate remark as I genuinely believe this mark is wrong! Am I just clutching at straws?
In psychology and English literature (both AQA) I am 4 UMS off the next grade. Should I get remarks? How many raw marks is 4 UMS?
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Remarks in these situations are very tempting and they might work. Did you feel you did better than the mark? If so, it might be worth it but it does cost a lot and the odds are against you, especially with the changes to the remark system this year.

What you must remember is that your results are excellent anyway and ina short while you'll have forgotten all about those 'near-misses'.

Good luck - tricky decision! Let me know what you decide.

Is it possible to get individual controlled assesements remarked if yours wasn't individually sent for moderation?
Do you guys think I should get one of my English Literature exam modules remarked? My total UMS was 213, 3 UMS off of an A*. For my overall grade to drop down to B, I would need to lose 21 UMS because the A/B boundary was 192 UMS.
I know this sounds like a stupid question- I got a B in my English Language exam and I am considering a remark . I told my school about it and they said they should be able to check how far away I was from the the next grade.I am going to a different sixth form next year and have no way of contacting my teachers directly. What shall I do???
This sounds dumb, but I'm kind of worried that they may not have marked my extra paper for one of my exams? How can I go about making sure that they did (there was a lot of writing on there) because if it isn't there then surely a remark wouldn't help find it?? :frown:
Original post by surina16
This sounds dumb, but I'm kind of worried that they may not have marked my extra paper for one of my exams? How can I go about making sure that they did (there was a lot of writing on there) because if it isn't there then surely a remark wouldn't help find it?? :frown:

Maybe a clerical check
Reply 17
Original post by Falselashflik
Hello, I took IGCSE BIOLOGY EDEXCEL and after each exam I came out pretty confident I had done well. I wasn't expecting an A* but I wasn't expecting a fail! Out of the two papers I received 70/180 which is a grade "D" I am absolutely heartbroken. I swear it isn't right. I have asked my exam office for an immediate remark as I genuinely believe this mark is wrong! Am I just clutching at straws?

I feel the same way I did triple science and was expecting a*aa and turns out i got C's in all, i was devastated. They were my worst results but in my favourite subjects. I'm also getting them remarked, I keep thinking its a glitch. I believe that if you genuinely know you did better, get them remarked.
I wonder if someone could help. My daughter was badly sick during her R:s-smilie: exam (I mean vomiting during the actual exam bad!) We applied for mitigating circumstances and we were told that had been accepted by the exam board prior to the marking. However when we got the results she got a D but was one mark off a C (So annoying!!)
Anyway on the results there is no mention of mitigating circumstances or any mention of a percentage added etc. Is that normal? I would have expected something formal to show that it had been taken into account and I would like to know the percentage added due to this.

Is there anyway we could find this out as I'm thinking a Remark might be the way to go with this one.
I was 3 marks off a B in English Language. Should I get a remark?

Quick Reply

Latest