The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Retake and Remark Information! 25 August 2016

Scroll to see replies

So how do you actually apply for a remark?
Original post by black1blade
So how do you actually apply for a remark?

You mainly ask your head of year, or 6th form (as ive asked) and they'll give you a confirmation form and ask which subject of GCSE you want to get remarked. Or you get it automatically if your teacher sees you were a few marks off, and would reccomend you to do the remarking.

I don't know about payment, as you'll have to ask, again, the Head of Year/ Head of 6th Form/college.
But i think it's too late now, as the last date for my sch to hand in the remarks was on the 15/09/2016, which should be the same for everyone, if not, around that, but I advice you to ask your Head of Year
Damn it I'll be so annoyed if I've missed out. Based on their website it barely takes anytime to actually do it, like if I just bring 30 quid in and smash it down hard onto my head of year's desk then hopefully they'll accept. It took so long as I was waiting for my teacher to check my marks, as in the breakdown.
The deadline is the 20th but you may have missed your school's internal one. I would advise not smashing you cash on Head of year's desk but asking very politely if they would consider accepting your re-mark application, which might be a tiny bit late as you were waiting for your teacher to get back to you :wink:
Yeah it was fine in the end man :biggrin:
I'm very irritated right now. I found out that my friend went up 8UMS in her biology GCSE - I was 7UMS off an A* in my biology! Also, I was only 5UMS off of an A* in music but I was refused a remark by my school. I just wish they had a late remark application date too 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
I'm very irritated right now. I found out that my friend went up 8UMS in her biology GCSE - I was 7UMS off an A* in my biology! Also, I was only 5UMS off of an A* in music but I was refused a remark by my school. I just wish they had a late remark application date too 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not as bad as needing to go up 3 UMS in History but going up 2 :emo:

Yeah I wish there was a late remark date too because I would have sent off the 2nd paper!
Hi guys. I did my IGCSE's and I got really bad grades in some of the crucial subjects. (I am too ashamed to mention the grades. Just understand they are really bad) Because I am focusing on Business as my field. I have stopped at O-levels and going to start college. Unexpectedly/Thankfully a not so bad college has accepted me in Canada (Centennial). What I am worried about is, if later on when I am applying to Unis, I won't face an issue because of my IGCSE grades. 1 or 2 counsellors told me they won't have value after college and Unis will look at your college grades. I am just facing doubts whether I won't have a problem then... I was considering a retake because I am definitely sure I can get better grades. (PS: I have performed way better previously on almost all exams except math) I was just distracted playing games and didnt study enough.
What I want to know is... Is the retake worth it? Since I have gotten bad grades in most subjects. I want to retake, Maths, English language and literature, Business, and IT/Bio. Not that I have gotten bad grades in all of these, but I just kinda want a clean new certificate. Another question I have is. If I retake and get better grades,Can I hide/disregard the other old certificate when applying to colleges/unis.
Awaiting your reply. Thanks
Does anyone know the predicted topics for this November? Edexcel maths retake
Reply 69
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Exams are funny things. You just might have slightly misinterpreted a question or not quite done what the question wanted. Don't lose your confidence and love for the subject. Think of all those great marks and feedback from your teacher! As for the remark, that's up to you although bear in mind that the way they are carried out has changed this year, making it a bit less likely that marks will go up by small amounts. Personally I think it would be helpful to get a copy of your paper back. That way you could look through it with a teacher and find out what really happened! :smile:

Do you really need that A (eg for a uni course) or is it just a matter of pride? If it's a matter of pride, I would be tempted to leave it - science marks are less likely to change than humanities subjects. If it's needed for something you want to do in the future then maybe it's worth a remark. Let me know what happens.

I hadn't even seen this message till now, the reason why I wanted an A was to have a better chance of getting into my preferred sixth form. I asked for a remark and my teacher 'apparently' sent it off the day before the deadline and no marks were changed. I'm not even sure she sent it because she didn't ask for the money when she said she would, and she's the teacher that marked my ISA a B compared to the two A*'s I have in physics and chemistry. Bit disappointed but I'll stop ranting now 🤗
Reply 70
Original post by LizzieJo
I was predicted to get a B for GCSE drama. Got a B and a C for controlled assessments and my drama teacher (who is also an examiner for drama elsewhere) thought my performance mark was a high B if not an A. However when the marks came out I got an overall D. All three units were marked as a D. So the assessments must have been moderated down considerably too. My total points are half way between a C and a D so remarking probably won't help.Most of the class is in the same situation. Is there anything we can do? Our teacher seems to think that the performances have been marked wrong. Can we appeal? Any advice appreciated.

I miss in the exact same position my entire class failed their practical and we don't know why.... can we get it remarked ?
Hi i got a c star in my english lit and was one mark off a b I have always been bad at english but i worked so hard for this gcse should i get a remark ?
Hi I was one mark off a b in english lit should i get a remark?
Reply 73
Original post by courtney7
Hi I was one mark off a b in english lit should i get a remark?

I would.....English is subjective. You have nothing to lose and if you don’t it will always leave you wondering

Quick Reply