The Student Room Group

Student finance won't pay tuition fee loan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Disektikus
Unless I'm mistaken, you can't enroll unless you pay tuition fees.

You need to check this with your uni - we can't tell you.

As your plans hinge on this assumption, it would be best to get the uni to clarify it as soon as possible, so you can base your future plans on the facts.*
Reply 21
Im taking events management at Plymouth, i currently run my own events successfully, it just seems a waste to quit now i don't find the corse hard Ive just had some issues that have meant me putting uni to the side and being slack. To be honest I had come on here for some advice but all I've had so far is patronising replies.I know I've messed up in the past i am just asking for some advice on my situation, and whether I can pay my tuition fee with my maintenance loan. Thats it. If you are going to be patronising and try to give me life advice then I'd appreciate you just commenting :smile:
Reply 22
Not so, I'm afraid. They are not doing a 1 year top-up course - they are retaking part of a 3 year course. It isn't treated as 3 separate years - otherwise lots of undergrads would be taking out a PCDL and they aren't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
I had come on here for some advice but all I've had so far is patronising replies.

I'm genuinely trying to help and have offered the best advice (and corrections) that I can.
Reply 24
Original post by Klix88
You need to check this with your uni - we can't tell you.

As your plans hinge on this assumption, it would be best to get the uni to clarify it as soon as possible, so you can base your future plans on the facts.*

Ok thanks
Nope, still wrong. You only get one qualification from a uni course, either Cert/Dip/degree. I see Klix88 beat me to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
If you pass your first and second years then you are *eligible* for a CertHE and DipHE respectively if you leave at that point. However, a university will not award them if you continue to the next year of the course. If you do all three years of an undergrad degree, you will only come out of it with a degree - not a CertHE, DipHE and degree.

Some universities do, as I understand it the OU does
Original post by Klix88
Not so, I'm afraid. They are not doing a 1 year top-up course - they are retaking part of a 3 year course. It isn't treated as 3 separate years - otherwise lots of undergrads would be taking out a PCDL and they aren't.

Speaking of which, would the OP be able to top up with OU?
Original post by Duncan2012
Nope, still wrong. You only get one qualification from a uni course, either Cert/Dip/degree. I see Klix88 beat me to it.

The OU awards them to you separately as you progress along the degree, I don't know if other universities do because I only have a CertHE but that is my experience
Reply 29
The OU is a different setup though. Unlike standard brick unis, their courses are designed to be modular.
Hi, I receive a maintenance loan of 5800 and as i only need to retake 4 modules, I would only need to pay 6000 for the year which I could use my maintenance loan to pay for.I have a job so can afford to live without my loan if needs be.According to student finance, i will still get my tuition loan for year 3, they just won't pay tuition fee for year 2 as I've already taken the year twice before.The main question really is will I get the maintenance loan In time.for when I have to pay the tuition fee loan. I've always been under the assumption that student finance won't pay the loan until I've enrolled and Unless I'm mistaken, you can't enroll unless you pay tuition fees.

I think to be honest you would need to check this with your university but as I understand it SF pays the tuition fees in installments across the year so I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Are you still eligible for maintenance loan?
I can't see anything in the 2015 OU regulations which says a student doing a degree will get a CertHE and/or DipHE along the way. If you have a document or link to suggest otherwise would you mind directing us towards it? There is reference to exit awards (eg a degree student withdraws after two years and may be eligible for a Diploma).
I can't see anything in the 2015 OU regulations which says a student doing a degree will get a CertHE and/or DipHE along the way. If you have a document or link to suggest otherwise would you mind directing us towards it? There is reference to exit awards (eg a degree student withdraws after two years and may be eligible for a Diploma).

I don't have any direct firm evidence but I've seen OU students posting on here how they would recieve the relevant award for each completed year separately, i.e: CertHE---> DipHE---> Bachelors
How did you fail 2 times?
Does open university help you find part-time job while studying?
Original post by ckfeister
Does open university help you find part-time job while studying?

I don't know, I didn't study there, @Snufkin might know the answer to that question
Reply 36

The OU used to offer this. However, with the new funding arrangements (from 2012), students have to sign up for a whole degree to be eligible for student finance. So the OU ate no longer able to offer this
@Snufkin

Does open university help you find a part-time job while studying there?
Original post by Juno
The OU used to offer this. However, with the new funding arrangements (from 2012), students have to sign up for a whole degree to be eligible for student finance. So the OU ate no longer able to offer this

Thank you, that was very helpful :smile:
Original post by ckfeister
@Snufkin

Does open university help you find a part-time job while studying there?

No, it's a university not a job centre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending