The Student Room Group

Help for starting year 13 pls?

Hi, after being slightly disappointed by my health and social care AS results (got a B was expecting an A) I'm now more motivated than ever to get the grades I want for uni (A*AA). I'm studying biology, psychology, health and social care and an epq and alongside this I've got mentoring, driving lessons and a research school to attend each week so I'm pretty busy. I also work 2 jobs, 1 on weekends and 1 during the week before and after college on a few days. I was wondering if anyone who achieved great grades at AS had a system for revision? I try to create a timetable and break down my topics but I'm not too good at laying it out. If anyone did similar could you possibly send me your timetable for how you structured it? I don't know how much revision for each subject I should be doing each week but I just really want to do well this year, thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zozaaaa
Hi, after being slightly disappointed by my health and social care AS results (got a B was expecting an A) I'm now more motivated than ever to get the grades I want for uni (A*AA). I'm studying biology, psychology, health and social care and an epq and alongside this I've got mentoring, driving lessons and a research school to attend each week so I'm pretty busy. I also work 2 jobs, 1 on weekends and 1 during the week before and after college on a few days. I was wondering if anyone who achieved great grades at AS had a system for revision? I try to create a timetable and break down my topics but I'm not too good at laying it out. If anyone did similar could you possibly send me your timetable for how you structured it? I don't know how much revision for each subject I should be doing each week but I just really want to do well this year, thanks.

I haven't made mine yet but I'll try to explain it.

1) Buy a diary
2) Pull up the specification and list down the topics on paper
3)Mark down any work commitments of social commitments you have and fill in the vals.
4) Weekdays maybe read or write your notes.
5) And any time of weekends should be recapping revision and practicing questions.
Original post by Zozaaaa

I found out this tumblr blog a few weeks back and I'm excited to use this for yr 13!! Hope this helps you :smile:

http://theorganisedstudent.tumblr.com/printables
Reply 3
Thank you!
Original post by BR1999

1) Buy a diary
3)Mark down any work commitments of social commitments you have and fill in the vals.
5) And any time of weekends should be recapping revision and practicing questions.
Reply 4
This looks brilliant, I'll deffo print this off when I'm home!
Original post by Workangel_24
I found out this tumblr blog a few weeks back and I'm excited to use this for yr 13!! Hope this helps you :smile:

Reply 5

Forget my idea of organization, I'm using this now 😂😂😂
Original post by BR1999
Forget my idea of organization, I'm using this now 😂😂😂

You should be!! I spent ages on creating the perfect revision timetable when I could
have googled this tumblr page :colonhash:
Reply 7
You should be!! I spent ages on creating the perfect revision timetable when I could
have googled this tumblr page :colonhash:

Ahahahaa :biggrin:, time well spent though
Original post by BR1999
Ahahahaa :biggrin:, time well spent though

I guess so :u: what a levels are you doing?
Reply 9
I guess so :u: what a levels are you doing?

Business Studies, Economics and Law :biggrin:, what about you? :u:
Original post by BR1999
Business Studies, Economics and Law :biggrin:, what about you? :u:

I'm doing A2 Psychology, Chemistry and Biology. Are you AS or A2?
Reply 11
I'm doing A2 Psychology, Chemistry and Biology. Are you AS or A2?

Interesting combination :biggrin:, i also doing A2, how were your AS results? :u:
Original post by BR1999
Interesting combination :biggrin:, i also doing A2, how were your AS results? :u:

Yeah I know - thinking of doing Psychology or Pharmacy but stuck between the 2! AS results were good got 2 A's and 2 B's. I also did sociology but I dropped it at the end of yr 12.
Reply 13
Yeah I know - thinking of doing Psychology or Pharmacy but stuck between the 2! AS results were good got 2 A's and 2 B's. I also did sociology but I dropped it at the end of yr 12.

I got 2 A's, a B and a C (which was in maths so i dropped it) and I've paid for a check to see whether the B in law was justified, because i was expecting an A :biggrin:
I got decent results at AS mainly due to good revision technique. Start with the specification for each subject, and make concise notes on each point preferably from a revision guide. If you don't understand anything you are taking notes on then go back to your textbook and look it up. One you've finished this then you should technically know all the content, so now its just about applying it.
Its time to begin doing past papers, and do every one for your exam board and even others if need be. After each past paper record what you did wrong and either go back to your notes or just make sure you don't make the same mistake again.
On a side note working 2 jobs doesn't sound like a good idea, especially if you want to achieve the top grades, but its up to you. Good luck
Original post by BR1999
I got 2 A's, a B and a C (which was in maths so i dropped it) and I've paid for a check to see whether the B in law was justified, because i was expecting an A :biggrin:

Those are good grades as well! Are thinking of doing law at uni?
Reply 16
Those are good grades as well! Are thinking of doing law at uni?

I am:biggrin: that's why I'm so bothered about the B :u:
Original post by BR1999
I am:biggrin: that's why I'm so bothered about the B :u:

Have you looked at the grade boundaries? How many ums do you need?
Reply 18
Have you looked at the grade boundaries? How many ums do you need?

I need 9 UMS, which is 6 raw marks, so it's not too far away :u:
Original post by BR1999

1) Buy a diary

This is a good way of doing revision.

Quick Reply

Latest