The Student Room Group

Compelling personal reasons!

Hi.

I'm retaking my second year of university in a different university. So originally, I was on a 4 year course, so student finance would have covered it all. But since I'm tranferring into a 3 year course into a different university, my second year won't be covered!

They want compelling reason to why I left university and it was because of depression. I've had it for years but it got really bad this year. I couldn't even get out of my bed because that's where I felt the most "safe" and then finally suspended myself from the university. Now they want evidence to why I had to stop going university. I've visited my GP and the doctor will write a letter for me, but I don't think it'll be enough as it doesn't really explain why I left university!

My tutor from the old university told me to speak to the counsellers from the university and ask for help but I couldn't because I didn't feel like I could trust anyone with this information. It took years just to tell my parents and my doctor and that's the furthest I could do. So, I went online and did online counselling through skype to help me feel better. Do I get a letter written from the online counsellers to give to the student finance? Would it even be valid? and what if they wanted to call them? how would they be able to do that?

I'm in a deep mess right now. Also, if the student finance, god forbid, reject my claim, would I still get maintenence loan? or am I stuck to deal with it myself? Please reply as soon as you can. I really need the help.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Your GP can describe your symptoms and can give his professional opinion that they would have prevented you from continuing at uni. He can also comment on the fact that the nature of your symptoms meant that you were unable to seek help in time to avoid leaving your course.

A GP's letter should be fine as long as he covers all the bases. I would go back to him and explain exactly what you need his letter to say.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Your GP can describe your symptoms and can give his professional opinion that they would have prevented you from continuing at uni. He can also comment on the fact that the nature of your symptoms meant that you were unable to seek help in time to avoid leaving your course.

A GP's letter should be fine as long as he covers all the bases. I would go back to him and explain exactly what you need his letter to say.

Thanks for the reply! But can you explain to me exactly what I need him to say?
Original post by Xtrykr
Thanks for the reply! But can you explain to me exactly what I need him to say?

it needs to explain what happened, how it affected your studies and why you couldn't continue - as much evidence as possible is better - evidence isn't needed but if you don't send evidence it's unlikely to be accepted. The evidence they look for is from a professional person*

You can only apply for one CPR per year.

If you tell me how many years you previously studied on this new course I can tell you your eligibility.

The calculation for your new course would be

3+1-PS=entitlement

So that's 3 years your new course plus a gift year, takeaway your previous study would tell you how many years of funding you have - if you only have 1 year of funding then it's set fund for the first 2 years (would still receive ML just no tution fee) then sfe would fund the last year unless you send CPR and it gets accepted**
Reply 4
Original post by murpo
it needs to explain what happened, how it affected your studies and why you couldn't continue - as much evidence as possible is better - evidence isn't needed but if you don't send evidence it's unlikely to be accepted. The evidence they look for is from a professional person*

You can only apply for one CPR per year.

If you tell me how many years you previously studied on this new course I can tell you your eligibility.

The calculation for your new course would be

3+1-PS=entitlement

So that's 3 years your new course plus a gift year, takeaway your previous study would tell you how many years of funding you have - if you only have 1 year of funding then it's set fund for the first 2 years (would still receive ML just no tution fee) then sfe would fund the last year unless you send CPR and it gets accepted**

I've already done 3 years worth of student finance. But this included foundation year, first year and second which I gave up on. So basically because I'm transferring into a new university, my "gift year" gets taken away because in my old university, I was doing a 4 year course and this is a 3 year course. This new course, the university I'm transferring to, its my first year here. I only have two more years of university left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending