Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Funding for additional year

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

In the past I've resat a year of my degree due to problems with anxiety, last year was my final year of my course but my fourth year of finance due to the resit year. Last year my Gran and my Aunt both passed away and this affected my studies so I've been approved to resit my final year in 2016/2017.
    I will need funding to be able to study this year and have been told that student finance will do this in exceptional circumstances, and I've already written a letter to student finance informing them of my reason for resitting and have included evidence. I rang up student finance today and I've been told to fill in a PR1 form. Is this this correct thing to do because I'm getting very confused about how to secure additional funding for this year due to the exceptional circumstances.

Hi. As you have already resat a year you may have used all previous study years available to you (course length + 1 gift year). This would mean that you may not receive support for the resit of your final year. However due to the circumstances which meant you deferred your studies in 2015/2016 and set to complete this year 2016/2017, you can apply to be considered for funding by taking into consideration your extenuating circumstances. We would require you to provide the following evidence to enable us to considered
    you will need to send a letter to us detailing your CPR along with any evidence of the mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence -
    • is signed and dated;
    • confirms the reason why could not continue with your studies; and
    • when this took place

Evidence we would also require would be:

Medical evidence from a GP
    Letter from HEP
    Letter from Social Services
    Letter from clergy or professional perso
    Death Certificate
    Photocopy of a Birth Certificate
    The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support your claim should be sent to us for consideration. In some circumstances one piece of evidence may not be sufficient, therefore we would recommend that you send as much evidence in as possible. Where possible the evidence should include the following information to enable assessors to make an informed decision. Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply. I already did all of this a month ago, but have receieved no response and when I rang up SFE yesterday and asked about a response to the letter I was told to fill in a return to studies form. So I'm stuck now and don't know what to do next.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 23, 2016
Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.