Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stuck in a rut, how do i get out

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

So i feel like various things in my life have been getting steadily worse and i know the only way to sort it out is change it but i just don't know how. Firstly, since graduating last year i've been feeling more and more isolated. I'd say i'm an introverted person, independent and that i generally keep myself to myself. That being said, I really miss living with people my own age cos i could have my own space but still be sociable when i want to. Since moving back home i feel i don't have my own space and i can't do anything because everything i do i get questioned and scrutinised. I also feel like i have no close friends anymore, and the ones i do have can't be bothered with me anymore as they just don't even reply to me. My job doesn't really help as its really unsociable hours which has meant i've not been able to meet up with friends when they're all free, and i'm not close to anyone there as there isn't really anyone my age. The job itself is dragging me down too and career wise i'm not really getting anywhere either, i've applied for masters courses but i always seem to come across as too shy and so i've ended up being rejected for these courses. I know somethings got to change but its a matter of where the hell do i start?

try and get a different job

Same here OP, can PM me if you want

A year ago I started working at McDonald's, 6 months ago I left 6th form with a bad drink/drugs habit, no further education, pretty shite gcse's and no future. I've just been offered a job that pays 30k a year and I'm 17.

I know it doesn't give much advice on your situation but stuff gets far worse before it gets better, your time will come soon

Sounds like I'm bragging but I'm just showing you that stuff can and will get better, best of luck OP

I'm in almost the exact same situation OP. As I feel in a rut, I'm not in a great position to provide advice, but you're not the only one who feels like this, and I think feeling down after graduating is more common than you may think.

I think the secret is making a huge effort to get out of your comfort zone, but that's easier said than done.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.