The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham (UOB) new law students 2016/2017

Congratulations to everyone!!!! How did you all do?
Are you excited to be attending the Law school at UOB as of October 2016?
I am looking forward to it ! I made this thread so we can discuss any queries or to discuss plans, anything related to studying law at UOB.

Feel open to discuss anything on this thread.
Reply 1
Hi people! Starting Law this September too. :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Hi,

CONGRATS @lucy_98 !!

Meanwhile I wanted to ask if anyone has registered onto University Of Birmingham (My.bham) as a student, I am having difficulties, I have tried every device at home as well as a library computer but when I click register online, it does not work and it also states:
NOTE: Online Registration has limited functionality when using Microsoft Edge. Please use a different browser. Find out more

Please can someone offer me some guidance on what to do. When I click fin dout more, nothing can be found.

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 3
Thank you. :smile: I've managed to register for some reason, but the service does seem a little unstable at the moment, i.e randomly disconnects and stuff.

I have no idea, ring the administration department?
Are you staying in uni accommodation?
@studybuddy5721
Thanks, I will ring them tomorrow to see if this issue can be resolved. Can I ask if you used Windows & google chrome to register, because it didn't work for me.I live local so I will not be staying in accomomdation, what about you?? I habe heard that the accomadation is good.
Reply 5
Original post by Studybuddy5721
Thanks, I will ring them tomorrow to see if this issue can be resolved. Can I ask if you used Windows & google chrome to register, because it didn't work for me.I live local so I will not be staying in accomomdation, what about you?? I habe heard that the accomadation is good.

I used Google Chrome to register. I'm living locally and moving into a private flat with my boyfriend :smile: if you ever need anything - let me know.
I'm sure it will be solved for you.
Original post by lucy_98
I used Google Chrome to register. I'm living locally and moving into a private flat with my boyfriend :smile: if you ever need anything - let me know.
I'm sure it will be solved for you.

Aha, it's great living locally! Thanks, I called them today and I can now successfully register:smile:.
If you have any questions you would like to ask me too, don't hesitate to ask, I'll try my best to help. Toodles.
Original post by Aspiringlawyerr
Hey guys I will also be starting Law at Birmingham this September :smile: Can't wait!

congrats!!:h:
Hey guys! I do Law at UoB and I'm going into third year. Let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hey guys! I do Law at UoB and I'm going into third year. Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Hi:smile:,

I would like to know if I need to buy books in my first year? or will that be catered for by the University through the library facilities.
Also what is an estimate cost of books if you do have to buy them?
Are lectures recorded and can you access them online?
What was the most difficult aspect of being a first year law student and what was the most enjoyable?
Sorry for asking so many questions and many thanks for your help!:biggrin: I appreciate it and I'm sure others on this thread would too.
Hi:smile:,

I would like to know if I need to buy books in my first year? or will that be catered for by the University through the library facilities.
What was the most difficult aspect of being a first year law student and what was the most enjoyable?
Sorry for asking so many questions and many thanks for your help!:biggrin: I appreciate it and I'm sure others on this thread would too.

Yes a recommended book list will be given my each module leader at the start of term, most likely during your freshers week introductions. So we have a book store on campus called John Smith that sells all the books and they sell them in bundles so that you save money. Tbh the same books will be available in the library anyway; so you could always borrow them but usually they'll be short loan books so you can only borrow them until 2pm the next day which can be a bit of a hassle

Not even joking but if you bought all the books brand new then expect to spend £300-400. Very expensive lol; books are on average £35/45 each. This is why it is best to buy books off second years (theres the book exchange group on FB where you can do this) and they'll sell them much cheaper. Dont be put off buying a book if it is the previous edition because in all honesty the books say pretty much the same thing; all that changes is the front cover and maybe a few extra sentences lol. But the core content remains and thats what is important. First year i bought books, second year i didnt. Why? You realise that some of the books you dont even end up using and you can get all the books from the library anyway. So in second year i spent £0 on books (except the statue books you need for exams & revision guides i wanted) and borrowed them from the library when needed which was so much better. Yes most are on short loan (so needed back by 2pm next day) but you can get them on long loan too (so a week).

You're lucky, because they werent for first years when i started but im pretty sure they are now. So yeah they record all lectures and put them up on panopto (you'll know what this is when you start haha).

Honestly getting used to the reading!!! Do not underestimate: it is a LOT. My friends and I even got so overwhelmed sometimes because the cases never seemed to end and set reading from books could even be 100pgs. But do not fear, you learn how to skim read for the important things. Also I will say: do NOT end up reading every page from cases because its a waste of time. Just read the basic facts and then the decision. Seeing what the judges had to say is only really important when it comes to essays tbh. E-lawresources.co.uk will also be your best friend lol. Most enjoyable? I think in general just learning something new all the time! The cases are always interesting, but my favourite module in first year was criminal, followed by contract! Theres some juicy cases in there that leave you thinking: seriously, wtf?

If you want to know anything else, just ask! :smile:
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Yes a recommended book list will be given my each module leader at the start of term, most likely during your freshers week introductions. So we have a book store on campus called John Smith that sells all the books and they sell them in bundles so that you save money. Tbh the same books will be available in the library anyway; so you could always borrow them but usually they'll be short loan books so you can only borrow them until 2pm the next day which can be a bit of a hassle

Not even joking but if you bought all the books brand new then expect to spend £300-400. Very expensive lol; books are on average £35/45 each. This is why it is best to buy books off second years (theres the book exchange group on FB where you can do this) and they'll sell them much cheaper. Dont be put off buying a book if it is the previous edition because in all honesty the books say pretty much the same thing; all that changes is the front cover and maybe a few extra sentences lol. But the core content remains and thats what is important. First year i bought books, second year i didnt. Why? You realise that some of the books you dont even end up using and you can get all the books from the library anyway. So in second year i spent £0 on books (except the statue books you need for exams & revision guides i wanted) and borrowed them from the library when needed which was so much better. Yes most are on short loan (so needed back by 2pm next day) but you can get them on long loan too (so a week).

You're lucky, because they werent for first years when i started but im pretty sure they are now. So yeah they record all lectures and put them up on panopto (you'll know what this is when you start haha).

Honestly getting used to the reading!!! Do not underestimate: it is a LOT. My friends and I even got so overwhelmed sometimes because the cases never seemed to end and set reading from books could even be 100pgs. But do not fear, you learn how to skim read for the important things. Also I will say: do NOT end up reading every page from cases because its a waste of time. Just read the basic facts and then the decision. Seeing what the judges had to say is only really important when it comes to essays tbh. E-lawresources.co.uk will also be your best friend lol. Most enjoyable? I think in general just learning something new all the time! The cases are always interesting, but my favourite module in first year was criminal, followed by contract! Theres some juicy cases in there that leave you thinking: seriously, wtf?

If you want to know anything else, just ask! :smile:

WOW, thank you for your detailed and fast response!:u:. I feel like I am prepared more than ever, I will make sure to take your advice on board.
@itsjustme17 Sorry, yet another question:colondollar:. If I were to buy all my books through 2nd year students and borrowing from the library, how much do you think the total cost would be for the year?
I didn't get out a hefty maintainance loan, so I am trying to calculate if I could meet the costs.

Thank you again:smile:
Has everyone been invited to Welcome week? Are you looking forward to it? I'm quite nervous:s-smilie:
Hey guys,

I just received my welcome information today and my ID card :u:.It all feels very real now. Have you guys received your information yet??

I noticed the ID card didn't come with a lanyard, does anyone know if UOB provide a lanyard for you on welcome week, or will I have to purchase one myself.
Hey guys,

I just received my welcome information today and my ID card :u:.It all feels very real now. Have you guys received your information yet??

I noticed the ID card didn't come with a lanyard, does anyone know if UOB provide a lanyard for you on welcome week, or will I have to purchase one myself.

you dont get a lanyard at all lol. BUT during freshers so many free ones are given out by different companies/socieites/etc.
Reply 16
Hi guys! :smile:
Really excited now, just got my student card too.
I plan on borrowing as many law books as I can from the library instead of buying them.
Hi guys,

Welcome week is fast approaching! 2 more days literally.Is everyone prepared?

I was wondering if anyone has checked their timetables yet, for a heads up, they are now available to view on Web timetables I noticed that the timetable for every week is different, I don't know why but I wasn't expecting this.

I also think the site keeps messing up because I noticed many clashes on my timetable, I think the timetable is quite difficult to understand, Is anyone else feeling this way??
Reply 18
Hiya 😊
I'm at a complete loss with the timetables! I have now given up 😂 im a 1st year doing the llb programme, i also have 4 children so ive been besides myself trying to fathom it out 😣...it appears they have multipul lectures and seminars which are the same 🤔 maybe we have to choose which we will attend giving us slight time flexibility? What do you guys think?
Reply 19
Does anyone know of any UOB WhatsApp groups apart from the small ones? Like with other universities they have whole department groups for this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending