Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

advice on how to get into the Progaming/ IT related sector

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

hey guys .... i am finding it really hard to get into software programming or even any IT related jobs.
    A bit of background on me:
    I have a degree in mechanical engineering. I have Only been able to get jobs in retail for the past year.....although i understand i do not have a degree in an IT based course ... i did complete some modules in my degree such as CNC .... after having completed my degree i took it upon myself to independently learn new languages i now know JavaScript, Python, SQL, C and Java..... its truly disappointing because i have a drive and thirst for this and i'm unable to find anything. I have a linkedin profile ... i have been applying to jobs.... i have created my own website as a portfolio of my skill set ..... i live quite close to London so in terms of location there are not any barriers

do you guys have any tips on what i can do?

Do you have a GitHub/GitLab/BitBucket account that shows code you've written?

You say you "know" JavaScript, Python, SQL, C and Java - how well do you know them? Hobby projects level or the ability to solve actual business problems?

What kind of jobs are you applying for? Are you tailoring your CV to each role?
    A Java shop won't necessarily care how well you know Python - and vice-versa

If you want some more specific advice, PM me your website and I'll take a look for you...

(Original post by jungle_ninja)
    A Java shop won't necessarily care how well you know Python - and vice-versa
    You say this, but most times I've been part of the interview process (either interviewee or interviewer) it doesn't really seem to matter what type of language you've had exposure to. The fact you've got the basics down (lets face it, they don't vary a huge deal from one to another) that's fine - you can usually pick up a new language fairly quickly if you're relatively experienced in another.

Then again for more advanced or senior roles, they may need to see evidence of prolonged professional exposure to a language..

Look at this thread:

Tailor your CV for each role.

Create a GitHub account and showcase your projects: apps, video game, web plug in, websites. If you do this, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere soon.

Also answer questions on stackoverflow and contribute on open source project.

Good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.