The Student Room Group

Mathematics Option for Medicine - Mechanics or Statistics

Hi all!

So I'll be starting a-levels in September and I have chosen Maths among others. I have chosen Maths with mechanics, I don't really have a strong reason for having chosen this, it's just that I thought statistics may be boring. However on my sixth form's subject description for maths it says "NOTE: You are strongly advised to check entry requirements for degree courses you are interested in BEFORE deciding which option to choose mathematics in."

I'd like to study Medicine in the future, and I know that for Medicine it doesn't really matter (in universities' point of view) what I choose.

But would it be better in any way for me to choose Statistics over Mechanics? Or does anyone have any reasons as to why one would be 'better' than the other?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by MBFP
Hi all!

So I'll be starting a-levels in September and I have chosen Maths among others. I have chosen Maths with mechanics, I don't really have a strong reason for having chosen this, it's just that I thought statistics may be boring. However on my sixth form's subject description for maths it says "NOTE: You are strongly advised to check entry requirements for degree courses you are interested in BEFORE deciding which option to choose mathematics in."

I'd like to study Medicine in the future, and I know that for Medicine it doesn't really matter (in universities' point of view) what I choose.

But would it be better in any way for me to choose Statistics over Mechanics? Or does anyone have any reasons as to why one would be 'better' than the other?

Thanks

There is more stats in medicine than mechanics.
At this stage just pick whichever one you will get at least an A in. I highly doubt that any uni's requires you to take a certain module, particularly when maths isn't even a requirement for medicine.
Original post by SGHD26716
There is more stats in medicine than mechanics.

This. But either one will be overkill.
Reply 4
doesn't really matter just do what you enjoy the most. If you do physics mechanics will be really easy, but okay still without :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending