The Student Room Group

Academically able students who've missed their firm (including Oxbridge)...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrisP97
I missed my UCL offer for economics & statistics by 2UMS marks. I'm still feeling pretty crushed, I've dreamed of studying in London most of my life

So sorry to hear that - what do you plan to do?
Original post by 999tigger
You come across as pretty full of yourself. Youd better becoming first in your year to justify such confidence. Yopu do gace the propsect that you think you are too good for Birmingham, in which case you should knuckle down, retake and get where you feel you belong.

Coming across as arrogant is not my intention; that the course was intially undersubscribed is a fact. As I stated in a response to someone else: Of course I realise that Birmingham is a great place, me questioning whether it's for me has nothing to do with any kind of deluded perception that I'm better than anyone else - I don't harbour these kinds of thoughts. Since I'm a resident of Bham and quite familar with its character, I was also just hoping at uni to meet completely different types of people, which again has nothing to do with me not liking Birmingham but just wanting change.
Original post by kdkdkd575757
Coming across as arrogant is not my intention; that the course was intially undersubscribed is a fact. As I stated in a response to someone else: Of course I realise that Birmingham is a great place, me questioning whether it's for me has nothing to do with any kind of deluded perception that I'm better than anyone else - I don't harbour these kinds of thoughts. Since I'm a resident of Bham and quite familar with its character, I was also just hoping at uni to meet completely different types of people, which again has nothing to do with me not liking Birmingham but just wanting change.

Thats how you come across. Imo you would be better just resitting, then you know for sure whether you were good enough and you wont have that regret and always wondering, especially at times where you got bored or were unhappy. its only a year.
My insurance is Nottingham, so really I should be grateful I have that to fall back on, but having visited the city I'm not sure if I could spend 3 years of my life there :/ I looked at other London uni's in clearing, but none of their courses really suit what I want to do in the future. I can't really take a year out either, as I already re-sat year 12. If your hearts really set on Durham, have you considered taking a year out and maybe re-sitting a few exams?

A gap year with resits is something I'm considering - I've done a bit more research and discovered that noticed that UCL are offering a very similar programme to the one that Durham and Birmingham have - if I reapply, I'll have more options this year. What do you think of the course at Nottingham? That is, after all, the most important thing and makes a compellling argument for why I should just take up Birmingham's offer.
Have you considered getting any papers remarked?
Original post by 999tigger
Thats how you come across. Imo you would be better just resitting, then you know for sure whether you were good enough and you wont have that regret and always wondering, especially at times where you got bored or were unhappy. its only a year.

Well I do apologise. This year PTSD got in the way during exam season which makes me think I could've done better in my exams, so things are, in some ways, pointing towards a gap year. Obviously Durham will need to see that the gap year's being spent productively so I'll have a lot of planning to do for the upcoming year.
Well I do apologise. This year PTSD got in the way during exam season which makes me think I could've done better in my exams, so things are, in some ways, pointing towards a gap year. Obviously Durham will need to see that the gap year's being spent productively so I'll have a lot of planning to do for the upcoming year.

You need to check what the policy is an whether they raise the offer. It should all be doable its pretty straightforward.
..how are you coping? Have you found an alternative place you like? What's your plan? How are you dealing knowing that you've ended up at a less prestigious place?

Because I'm absolutely crushed to bits, completely heartbroken. All I've wanted was a place at my uni
of choice (Durham) for a long time and don't think I deserve to feel like this much of a failure. I've performed well through
the years but produced disappointing results when it mattered the most; most of my classmates achieved at least one A* and are headed to Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial. Sure mitigating circumstances played a role to some extent but because of their nature, I don't know how far/whether the likes of Oxbridge would take them into consideration. Because I know that the tutorial style teaching would suit me and am aware of the difference in quality of teaching between my firm and the two Gs that have offered me a place (one of which has the exact course I was rejected from and some other plus points but is ranked only 76 internationally), I can't get past losing my firm.

I want to go somewhere that will work me really hard, somewhere that has passionate lecturers and students, and I don't know whether a place like Birmingham will really give me that. I can't move onto the "next chapter of my life" if I can't shake the feeling that I'm somewhere I don't belong.

I've been crying for the past four days - if anyone can share their insights, I'd highly appreciate it.

Aww! Please do not feel disheartened! Whilst I was doing my A levels- I completely messed up, and eventually got into a very average university. However, I managed to achieve a very good classification and ended up doing an MSc at Oxford. Life takes very unexpected turns at times, embrace it and go with the flow... make the most of it!
..how are you coping? Have you found an alternative place you like? What's your plan? How are you dealing knowing that you've ended up at a less prestigious place?

Because I'm absolutely crushed to bits, completely heartbroken. All I've wanted was a place at my uni
of choice (Durham) for a long time and don't think I deserve to feel like this much of a failure. I've performed well through
the years but produced disappointing results when it mattered the most; most of my classmates achieved at least one A* and are headed to Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial. Sure mitigating circumstances played a role to some extent but because of their nature, I don't know how far/whether the likes of Oxbridge would take them into consideration. Because I know that the tutorial style teaching would suit me and am aware of the difference in quality of teaching between my firm and the two Gs that have offered me a place (one of which has the exact course I was rejected from and some other plus points but is ranked only 76 internationally), I can't get past losing my firm.

I want to go somewhere that will work me really hard, somewhere that has passionate lecturers and students, and I don't know whether a place like Birmingham will really give me that. I can't move onto the "next chapter of my life" if I can't shake the feeling that I'm somewhere I don't belong.

I've been crying for the past four days - if anyone can share their insights, I'd highly appreciate it.

I have a friend who's in a similar situation to you - she's dreamt of going to Cambridge since she was 10, she got an A*AA offer, but then got A*AB on results day and is now absolutely heartbroken. A boy I know also got a maths offer from Cambridge but missed it and is now going to his insurance (Edinburgh).

I'll tell you what I keep telling her - right now it may seem as if it's the end of the world, but try to picture yourself in 5 years' time. Will this setback really matter? Is it possible to get where you want to be without going to the uni you really wanted to? If you're truly hard-working and ambitious, you will make something of yourself. This time now is only a tiny TINY proportion of your (hopefully very long) life, so you have tons of time to turn your life around and do something!

Try to see uni as a means to an end rather than an end in itself. It doesn't matter if you're not going to the most prestigious uni in the world - and anyway, prestige can be a bit misleading and I think a lot of people place way too much emphasis on it without thinking about the course, whether they'd like to live in the area, etc. Remember that unis are more and more like businesses these days too and prestige or creating an impression of it is an easy way to bring in cash.

There's nothing wrong or shameful about attending your insurance - you put it as your insurance for a reason, and a third of applicants miss out on their firm each year. Birmingham is still a great uni, and you'll meet loads of people there and have a great time if you put this behind you, learn from your experience, and integrate yourself. Your uni experience shouldn't depend on prestige; I know it's tough as hell to be rejected from your firm but I believe that it's up to you to make the best of your uni experience.

And hey, Simon Le Bon is an alumnus of Birmingham Uni :wink:
Admittedly I do like the course at Nottingham, it's just the UCL department was a lot smaller than Nottingham's, so I hoped I would benefit from a closer relationship with the tutors in terms of research opportunities etc.. In relation to remarks, I got 2 of my further maths modules remarked, which didn't change, and 1 economics module remarked, which went up by 1 mark. Fortunately I was only 1 mark off A* so there is some consolation in that. I've contact UCL again with these re-marks, but I'm yet to hear back from them.

If I were you I would most likely re-sit the year. From your other posts it seems you've grown up in Birmingham (?), so you'll be missing out on the opportunity of exploring new parts of the country if you go there. Also, you'll probably get a lot more out of uni entering a year late, as you'll be more mature, and so more likely to maximise any opportunities that arise there. Then again, if you think you'd just waste the next year doing nothing, then it would probably be best just going to Birmingham.

Congrats on achieving a very high A in economics, and good luck with contacting UCL! I'm getting my Physics papers remarked - my UMS were very unexpectedly low. Of course I'll still be one grade off the requirements for Durham but if they go up significantly...I think the disappointment I've had and knowing tht my friends are in better places will shock me into making the most of a gap year, but there's still a lot to consider with such a big decision.
Original post by Lostperson
Aww! Please do not feel disheartened! Whilst I was doing my A levels- I completely messed up, and eventually got into a very average university. However, I managed to achieve a very good classification and ended up doing an MSc at Oxford. Life takes very unexpected turns at times, embrace it and go with the flow... make the most of it!

That's very brilliant - wow! A postgrad. Master's at Oxford is a goal of mine :colondollar:. If you don't mind, at the time of your A levels, were you aiming for Oxbridge? Was your thought process behind moving on to uni just wanting to make the most of your then-current opportunity?
That's very brilliant - wow! A postgrad. Master's at Oxford is a goal of mine :colondollar:. If you don't mind, at the time of your A levels, were you aiming for Oxbridge? Was your thought process behind moving on to uni just wanting to make the most of your then-current opportunity?

No, I never in a million years thought I would go to Oxford. Yes, I was excited to be going to university at all, and made many friends, had an amazing time. Then after university, I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I applied for an MSc at Oxford, got called in for an interview and got an offer!

The only thing I would say is do not do a subject you do not like. If the same/similar subject is available elsewhere then, why not go for it?

if your goal is to get an MSc from Oxford, you get a 1st class in your chosen subject at ANY university and decent experience in your chosen subject field and BOOM!

It didn't happen that way for me, but it came out as a good surprise!

You've got this!
Original post by Lostperson
No, I never in a million years thought I would go to Oxford. Yes, I was excited to be going to university at all, and made many friends, had an amazing time. Then after university, I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I applied for an MSc at Oxford, got called in for an interview and got an offer!

The only thing I would say is do not do a subject you do not like. If the same/similar subject is available elsewhere then, why not go for it?

if your goal is to get an MSc from Oxford, you get a 1st class in your chosen subject at ANY university and decent experience in your chosen subject field and BOOM!

It didn't happen that way for me, but it came out as a good surprise!

You've got this!

Well, I'm glad that things worked out so fantastically for you! Thank you also for the tips - of course the subject will matter more than the institution. One more question (sorry) - I plan on doing a joint honours Master's but at the moment would only be interested in pursuing a postgrad Master's in one of my subjects - would the joint honours disadvantage me at all in this context?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending