The Student Room Group

Should I invest in a macbook air?

I have saved up quite abit of money and I was wondering on wether to buy a macbook air for Uni.

I already have a microsoft surface which is good for obviously microsoft word etc but my uni is offering free software downloads anyways and as well as this unidays are doing an offer were you get free beats headphones with it worth like £250.

Anyone with this device think its worth it or should I just stick to what I have?

Scroll to see replies

Mac's as far as I've known are all about the brand and not quality... I personally would never own a Mac :smile: there are so many better laptops/computers which are much cheaper as well.
Everyone knows Mac's are *****y, im a pc gamer m8
I would. Using one rn and got it in 2013 - amazing speed and quality
I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro 13 inch, as well as a HP envy which I'm looking to replace - I haven't used the MacBook anywhere near as much as the iMac, but both have been super reliable and are really fast. You can probably get Something just as good for cheaper though! Although I'd definitely recommend them
If you spend the same on a PC the same amount you're planning on spending on a mac, you'd get a much better machine
Reply 6
I use an iMac for desktop use and a laptop when I'm out and about and honestly I hate the Mac, if I had the money I would build a Windows machine over shelling out the cash for a Mac any day.
Original post by Alexoso
I use an iMac for desktop use and a laptop when I'm out and about and honestly I hate the Mac, if I had the money I would build a Windows machine over shelling out the cash for a Mac any day.

Strange how preferences differ, I adore my iMac!
Reply 8
Original post by Snoopsl0th
I have saved up quite abit of money and I was wondering on wether to buy a macbook air for Uni.

I already have a microsoft surface which is good for obviously microsoft word etc but my uni is offering free software downloads anyways and as well as this unidays are doing an offer were you get free beats headphones with it worth like £250.

Anyone with this device think its worth it or should I just stick to what I have?

I'm in the same position as you.
With this offer on you can get 10% off a Mac and get those free headphones which if you sell could mean a saving of £200 + £100 off the Mac.

Although I've looked at the air I'd have to say that I'm going to go for the Pro 13" model with retina as it seems like a better all rounder.
I've never had a Mac before and always have had Windows but they always seem to die / go incredibly slow after a couple of years and I need a machine that will last me my degree so I think the investment in a Mac is well worth it.

Most of the people saying Macs are rubbish are those who game or build their own machines.
Reply 9

When you say invest. what do you mean? When I invested I bought stocks and bonds. It implies some sort of return or benefit.

So what is the return on a macbook? Compared to your surface, what will it give you that is worth the money?
Reply 10
Honestly go with the lowest amount of electromagnetic radiation that one is exposed to when using a laptop. Macbook has a little bit less of it.
i used to always want a macbook and now after having one for a few years i've grown to hate it, it's gotten really slow and overheats whenever i watch youtube or something. windows is a lot cheaper and i've found a really good dell laptop with amazing specs for £800 whereas if i were to get a mac with the same specs it would cost 2 grand!!
Original post by silverfox44
i used to always want a macbook and now after having one for a few years i've grown to hate it, it's gotten really slow and overheats whenever i watch youtube or something. windows is a lot cheaper and i've found a really good dell laptop with amazing specs for £800 whereas if i were to get a mac with the same specs it would cost 2 grand!!

What Dell is it?
Original post by ReeceM1
What Dell is it?

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC#secondaryContent

has amazing reviews and pretty decent specs considering the price!
Original post by silverfox44
http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC#secondaryContent

has amazing reviews and pretty decent specs considering the price!

I think I'm dead set on getting a Mac and I don't think anything will change my mind now, though that Dell does have decent spec compared to my MBP

Can I ask why you've grown to hate yours? :s-smilie:

Stick with what you have. MacBooks are quite low power for how expensive they are, for the same price you could get a much better quality laptop or just stick with your current one. Also it can be quite difficult to transfer between Apple and Microsoft, some of the formatting can get messed up on the way, hope this helped!
Original post by Helg
Honestly go with the lowest amount of electromagnetic radiation that one is exposed to when using a laptop. Macbook has a little bit less of it.

The requirement on top of everyone's list...

:rolleyes:
Reply 17
Wait for the release of surface pro 5
Original post by ReeceM1
I think I'm dead set on getting a Mac and I don't think anything will change my mind now, though that Dell does have decent spec compared to my MBP

Can I ask why you've grown to hate yours? :s-smilie:

I think I just realised one day that MacBooks look great but they're nothing special really, although I do think they're quite good if you're into film/photography as I find Adobe programmes easier to use on a Mac. when I was looking for a new laptop as my current MacBook is struggling to run stuff it was the price that put me off as its not really in my budget. I'd say go for a macbook if that's what you want and it's in your budget! just wasn't suitable for me as I mostly game
Reply 19
Original post by A-LJLB
The requirement on top of everyone's list...

:rolleyes:

Well this made me laugh but I genuinely think this should be treated with appropriate seriousness. How is that not a top requirementt to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest