The Student Room Group

The veil ***spoilers***

bk 7 never explained the mystery around the veil, and why sirius couldn't come back from it, and why luna and harry could hear voices from it, I'm guessing, portal to another world etc, but it was never explained after eveyrthing else was.

And did dumbledore see ariana in the mirror of erised?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ian_rider
bk 7 never explained the mystery around the veil, and why sirius couldn't come back from it, and why luna and harry could hear voices from it, I'm guessing, portal to another world etc, but it was never explained after eveyrthing else was.

And did dumbledore see ariana in the mirror of erised?

There was a lot of stuff that wasn't in the final book that she said there would, I'm sure at one point she said the Weasley's car from CoS would return.

And yes, its a fairly good guess that he would see his family alive, like Harry did.
Reply 2
about certain parts not being in the book: does anyone know how the American and British versions of the book differ? I read somewhere the American version is over 700 pages whereas the UK one is 607, does this mean everything is fully explained in the US version? because i will be really annoyed if it is :hmmm:
Reply 3
kitty_koo
about certain parts not being in the book: does anyone know how the American and British versions of the book differ? I read somewhere the American version is over 700 pages whereas the UK one is 607, does this mean everything is fully explained in the US version? because i will be really annoyed if it is :hmmm:

Larger print :p:
Reply 4
Dude
Larger print :p:

oh :redface: at least they'll be as confused about the same stuff as us over here :p:
Reply 5
Yeah and the americans get illustrations too
I thought the veil was where Harry could have gone after he almost got pwned by Voldie. When Dumbledore gives him the option of "passing on" or "going on" or something like that, I assumed that would be 'behind the veil' with James, Lily, Sirius, Lupin etc.
Reply 7
Think the veil was door way was straight into death.

If everyone who died was in the 'trainstation' it would have been somewhat crowded

re.REP- I love you too...
Reply 8
She explained ghosts and the veil, but you had to scrutinize.

At king's cross, it was a representation of a Purgatory if you will. I truly believe that Dumbledore had actually waited there for Harry, seeing as how he was not "dead" in the sense that he still had his Hogwarts painting to communicate to people with. The story from the Gray lady is also integral to this. I believe that when someone who has a very strong tie to the earth dies and doesn't wish to past on, their spirit CAN become a ghost. However, that's not the only prerequisite, as I believe remorse plays a very serious role (i.e., the baron killing the Gray lady, the gray lady feeling remorseful about her mother, Nick feeling remorse for not only not dying like a real man, but also not being able to join the headless hunt), but this is just a theory.
Reply 9
I thought that it was linked in to how they could see the thestrals- as in, they had both seen somebody die, so they had a more pronounced link to the other world.
Reply 10
I agree with the above^

Furthur to 2 above;
The person only becomes a ghost in that situation if they dont have a horcrux/protection binding them. If they do the become a little spirit creature what needs a body.

I'm not even going to go into whether Harry could have go back into a different dead body or not.

Reply 11
She never explained why ginny could hear voices from the veil. everyone else who heard had experienced death: harry, luna, neville. Yet if you reread ginny also heard them. WHY?
Reply 12
**Whips out Book5.**

Says Ginny and Neville stared entranced at the veil, not definitivly that they could hear voices.

Reply 13
laura k
She never explained why ginny could hear voices from the veil. everyone else who heard had experienced death: harry, luna, neville. Yet if you reread ginny also heard them. WHY?

I never remember reading that in any of the books (5 especially) but if it were the case, its more than likely to be Riddle in CoS, considering he was as practically as close as you could get to being alive
Reply 14
Who had Neville seen dying at that point?! (Sirius hadnt died yet)
Reply 15
Umbrudge asks him in the Care of Magical Creatures lesson .... I believe it was an Uncle or someone. Does anyone think Snape is in a portrait in the headmaster's office? Seeing as he was a headmaster, and all.
Reply 16
Oops.
Snape will be in there now, following his death. Not sure whether the pictures appear there magically or whether someone has to paint and hang them.
Either way he'll be there after everthing's been cleared up& organised.
Reply 17
That's what I thought, 'cause I wanna know how Dumbledore's portrait got up there.
Reply 18
Chrrye
Who had Neville seen dying at that point?! (Sirius hadnt died yet)

Hagrid asks him in class and he says something about his uncle or grandfather. No one important to the plot.
thepiglette
I thought the veil was where Harry could have gone after he almost got pwned by Voldie. When Dumbledore gives him the option of "passing on" or "going on" or something like that, I assumed that would be 'behind the veil' with James, Lily, Sirius, Lupin etc.

I think that's really clever....Sirius was never really happy when he was alive because he blamed himself for James and Lilys' deaths and then he was trapped in the HQ of the Order because he was a wanted man. Obviously he couldn't have come back like Harry did but I doubt if it was possible to return from the veil he wouldn't have done.

I really wish that JK had explained about the veil though - I thought Sirius' death was really rushed and I thought he might have come back because no one really knew what the veil was because it was in the Department of Mysteries.

Latest