Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Computer Science

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Sorry I forgot to put an appropriate title..

Hi everyone,

I received an offer to study Computer Science at Lincoln but have not made my decision yet, but I certainly consider University of Lincoln as one of my options. I just have few questions about the university.

Summer/Intern Jobs
    The university that I currently go to has a very close business relations with some of the largest tech companies like Rolls Royce, Microsoft, IBM, and others, and so these companies were able to get some of their interns from our university during summer time and employ them to their headquarters, factories etc, though they may not be the highest paying jobs (though I believe they pay quite decent amount) but at least they're a good way to earn some money and a little bit of professional job experience during summer.
    • Does the university offer summer job for students? Is there a department that helps you with this sort of things at Lincoln? Cause I am also thinking of doing it in between my 1st & 2nd year, and probably between 2nd and 3rd year as well if I get the opportunity again.
    Campus And Surrounding Areas
    • In terms of living in the city. Is Lincoln generally a quite city like a town (maybe not as extreme as ghost town though) in a country side where you hardly see anyone walking around (except uni students of course) similar to small cities like Coventry, Southampton or is it more populated city like London or Bristol where you can see many people crossing streets, walking with their dogs, cars buzzing during rush hour etc.
    • Are there any convenient stores/shops nearby?
    • Is everything in a walking disatance?
    • Does the university have free buses that sort of goes around the city to cater students especially if you happen to live away from the campus?
    How much does it costs to live there on average? I know living expenses at cities like London or maybe even Birmingham and Edinburgh are a lot more expensive compared to universities from towns and cities away from these places.

I have never been to Lincoln and probably won't be going there for open day cause it's quite a long journey from where I live, but based on reviews, photographs, and virtual tour from the website, the campus looks really nice.

If you're really concerned you should visit. All of your questions will be answered then. You have to live and study there for 3 years and that's quite a big decision to make based on what other people say. Google maps will tell you where things are and the uni website will have info about transport, living costs and the careers service. Do bear in mind though that being successful at uni is down to initiative so even if there is someone to help you with placements quite a lot of the work is down to you.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.