The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ethereal
Why should there be? Why should 1 member be bound by different rules than others?
Why not, when it blatantly hasn't done any harm or caused any problems after a six month trial period?
Reply 61
Craghyrax
This hasn't happened yet. All of the problems you mention are hypothetical. They may never materialise. If they do, we can cancel the arrangement.

This "hypothetical" puts the charter at risk of breach. How about we bolt the stable door before the horse bolts?
Reply 62
Craghyrax
Why not, when it blatantly hasn't done any harm or caused any problems after a six month trial period?

I can quite easily cite other areas where not adhering to the rules and/or disapplying them in the case of certain members caused problems. I am sure you know what I am refering to.
Reply 63
Ethereal
This "hypothetical" puts the charter at risk of breach. How about we bolt the stable door before the horse bolts?

Do you need to bolt the stable door when the horse cant go any further than you wish?
Reply 64
bikerx23
Do you need to bolt the stable door when the horse cant go any further than you wish?

Tell me the point in arguing over a breach after it has happened when we can prevent it occuring?
Reply 65
Ethereal
Tell me the point in arguing over a breach after it has happened when we can prevent it occuring?

You could argue the same for things like crime - if you incarcerated everyone permanently, there would be no way of them commiting crimes. You have to have some element of risk in everything you do, unless you're god, obviously.
Reply 66
bikerx23
You could argue the same for things like crime - if you incarcerated everyone permanently, there would be no way of them commiting crimes. You have to have some element of risk in everything you do, unless you're god, obviously.

The difference being in crime you don't actively create situations where they can occur. There will inevitably come a time when RL and TSR HofC differ and this creates a conflict we can stop arising by stopping this link.
Reply 67
I think given that the Prime Minister is generally a fairly long-term TSR poster, as are a lot of the people active in both the MUN and the House of Commons, I think it's unlikely that we'd end up with somebody in the UK position who would end up trying to wreck things. And if we do, we have a mechanism in place to get rid of them - Votes of No Confidence.
Reply 68
Or we can say that the UK rep obeys the wishes of the HoC unless there are none, period.
Reply 69
alasdair_R
I think given that the Prime Minister is generally a fairly long-term TSR poster, as are a lot of the people active in both the MUN and the House of Commons, I think it's unlikely that we'd end up with somebody in the UK position who would end up trying to wreck things. And if we do, we have a mechanism in place to get rid of them - Votes of No Confidence.

I'm not entirely sure what the relevence of the length of TSR PM's membership is to the issue.
Reply 70
Ethereal
The difference being in crime you don't actively create situations where they can occur. There will inevitably come a time when RL and TSR HofC differ and this creates a conflict we can stop arising by stopping this link.

To be honest, there's so much more or less mild out of character behaviour that the fact that the UK rep is to some extent beholden to the HoC won't impact a huge amount - especially if they're a long-standing member of the MUN or the House, which is likely.
Reply 71
ukebert
Or we can say that the UK rep obeys the wishes of the HoC unless there are none, period.

So we are still in the honeymoon period of the current MUN and we are already advocating exempting a certain member from rules which restrict the rest of us? That's plain ridiculous
Reply 72
Ethereal

The majority of scenarios will not show a dissenting opinion - when they do there will be good justification for it, hence it adds an interesting twist.

To be honest, if you want to talk about departing from real life, the current MUN system leaves a lot to be desired.
Reply 73
Ethereal
I'm not entirely sure what the relevence of the length of TSR PM's membership is to the issue.

It means they're more likely to have an investment in TSR and its institutions and are less likely to choose somebody who has no interest in maintaining the character and integrity of the MUN...
Reply 74
alasdair_R
To be honest, there's so much more or less mild out of character behaviour that the fact that the UK rep is to some extent beholden to the HoC won't impact a huge amount - especially if they're a long-standing member of the MUN or the House, which is likely.

A conflict between TSR HofC and RL HofC is hardly "mild"
Reply 75
alasdair_R
It means they're more likely to have an investment in TSR and its institutions and are less likely to choose somebody who has no interest in maintaining the character and integrity of the MUN...

There is no causal link between a member's length of membership and investment in its "institutions". This is an example of clutching at straws.
Reply 76
bikerx23
The majority of scenarios will not show a dissenting opinion - when they do there will be good justification for it, hence it adds an interesting twist.

To be honest, if you want to talk about departing from real life, the current MUN system leaves a lot to be desired.

That is exactly my thought on the matter, on both scores.
Reply 77
bikerx23

Yes it departs i nthe way things are done, this much is true - but what you are asking for is that we actively allow our own charter to be breached.
Reply 78
Ethereal
Yes it departs i nthe way things are done, this much is true - but what you are asking for is that we actively allow our own charter to be breached.

A charter which is written with the addition of this stipulation?
Reply 79
bikerx23
A charter which is written with the addition of this stipulation?

Which then creates the problem of having one charter which applies to the UK rep and one which applies to the rest of us.

Latest

Trending

Trending