Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Accommodation Dilemma

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I have accepted an offer through clearing and understandably I was unable to get my choice of accommodation.

I currently have two options and I’m torn between them, both have their own pros and cons.

Option 1:
    Pro- On campus
    Con- Shared kitchen (not a problem) and bathroom (could be a problem) between 8 people, single bed, very small room

Option 2:
    Pro- En-suite, Double bed, decent sized room
    Con-30-minute bus journey away (provided with free pass)

I feel I will have a better experience staying on campus with other students etc. I am not sure about sharing a bathroom, that is my main concern. I would prefer the privacy of having my own bathroom to use whenever I need. I am not particularly keen on being in the situation where I have to use a dirty toilet/shower after someone else.

There will be other freshers in the building for the second option but also students from other universities. 30 minutes by bus is quite a long way away from campus too meaning it is possible I could miss out on benefits such as working in the library late, return trips during free time between lectures etc.

I am really unsure on what to do. Has anybody got any advice or thoughts, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you

Hey, i believe you'll be staying at Liberty court, which is where i stayed for my first year. The rooms are much much nicer than those on campus and it is a lot easier having your own bathroom (as long as you can keep it clean). There are so many students from both Keele and Staffs uni there but most students are assigned rooms that are near others from the same uni so you barely see students from the other uni. You are bound to find several people doing the same or a similar course to you from the same uni. I made some really good friends there and we traveled to uni together and there have been many times where we have worked in the library late- as long as you have people with you, it shouldn't be an issue as you can always share a taxi, which costs around £7. The bus journey isn't too bad- i'll admit it does make it a little harder to get yourself out of bed for an early morning lecture but you adapt and eventually get used to it.
    It's within walking distance to the train station and town center, so if you're gonna be using the train and shopping quite a bit, it's definitely convenient.
    The staff are super nice and helpful and overall, i had a very enjoyable first year living there

I had a shared bathroom on campus in my first year and honestly it wasn't as bad as I was expecting and I shared with 12 other students. I never had to wait to use the toilet or shower as far as I can remember and the bathroom is cleaned every week. A pair of rubber slippers helped me to feel cleaner in the shower.

I do prefer en suite rooms honestly and I've heard that liberty court has really nice rooms but if I had that choice I'd probably put up with the shared bathroom and go for on campus just because I really hate travelling especially by bus and the convenience of living within 5 mins walk of all of your lecture halls is really good. I often go to an early morning lecture then come back to my room and have a little nap before my next one 😂

If you don't mind travelling on the bus or taxi a couple of times a week then the en suite room might be better. As mentioned above, it is also really close to the train station if that's important to you.

Hope this helped

Fourth-year pharmacy student at Keele
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.