The Student Room Group

Graduate admission query

Hi, I graduated with a high 2.2 two years ago. Although I did have family issues but I don't think I can justify a 2.2 with that. I've passed 2 levels of the CFA program in the first attempt and shall be taking level 3 in June 2017. Because I graduated with a 2.2, it was very hard for me to find jobs as well as good universities to study but then after trying really hard for six months, I managed to land an interview for an internship at PwC in their audit department which I managed to land. Halfway through my two month long internship in audit, I began to network and after three rounds of interviews, I also landed a four month long internship with advisory which eventually translated into a full time job. It's been about 10 months since I joined as full time. I'm now looking to apply to the LSE MSc Finance for 2017-18 session. I have scored a 710 on my GMAT but then considering I have a 2.2, I highly doubt I'll get into their program. Can anyone here tell me if it's realistic to think of the LSE? I plan on funding the course all by myself and don't aim for any scholarship or anything.
Original post by Jacky93
Hi, I graduated with a high 2.2 two years ago. Although I did have family issues but I don't think I can justify a 2.2 with that. I've passed 2 levels of the CFA program in the first attempt and shall be taking level 3 in June 2017. Because I graduated with a 2.2, it was very hard for me to find jobs as well as good universities to study but then after trying really hard for six months, I managed to land an interview for an internship at PwC in their audit department which I managed to land. Halfway through my two month long internship in audit, I began to network and after three rounds of interviews, I also landed a four month long internship with advisory which eventually translated into a full time job. It's been about 10 months since I joined as full time. I'm now looking to apply to the LSE MSc Finance for 2017-18 session. I have scored a 710 on my GMAT but then considering I have a 2.2, I highly doubt I'll get into their program. Can anyone here tell me if it's realistic to think of the LSE? I plan on funding the course all by myself and don't aim for any scholarship or anything.

I think you'd be a lot stronger with a few more years under your belt. By then, you might even find a different masters is more appropriate. There may be more prestige in academic qualifications, but they don't help life nearly as much as a decent, well paid job. Your 2.2 won't be relevant to advancement in your job from now onwards, but it will still be relevant to LSE until you've got 3-5 years of professional experience. That's not to say they won't look at you, and if you get an offer, you still have choices. i'd just caution giving up what you've worked for so far, and bringing the 2.2 back into play.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I think you'd be a lot stronger with a few more years under your belt. By then, you might even find a different masters is more appropriate. There may be more prestige in academic qualifications, but they don't help life nearly as much as a decent, well paid job. Your 2.2 won't be relevant to advancement in your job from now onwards, but it will still be relevant to LSE until you've got 3-5 years of professional experience. That's not to say they won't look at you, and if you get an offer, you still have choices. i'd just caution giving up what you've worked for so far, and bringing the 2.2 back into play.

Thank you so much for replying. The thing is if I have 3 years of experience, I would rather look at good MBA programs as opposed to a MSc Finance but unfortunately my circumstances are not likely to allow me to delay going to school until another 2 years, and also the cost for MBA (in terms of time as well as money) is much higher which I may not be able to afford. I have heard the GMAT goes far in mitigating a poor undrgraduate GPA. Also wouldn't passing all three levels of the CFA program help me? I don't plan on quitting my job as yet but if I'm to start masters next fall, I will already have worked 2 years. I really want to go to a good school. Would applying really early help at all? Does nobody with a 2.2 ever make it to schools like this for a masters?
Original post by Jacky93
Thank you so much for replying. The thing is if I have 3 years of experience, I would rather look at good MBA programs as opposed to a MSc Finance but unfortunately my circumstances are not likely to allow me to delay going to school until another 2 years, and also the cost for MBA (in terms of time as well as money) is much higher which I may not be able to afford. I have heard the GMAT goes far in mitigating a poor undrgraduate GPA. Also wouldn't passing all three levels of the CFA program help me? I don't plan on quitting my job as yet but if I'm to start masters next fall, I will already have worked 2 years. I really want to go to a good school. Would applying really early help at all? Does nobody with a 2.2 ever make it to schools like this for a masters?

Well, all you can do is make an application and see what results. Applying early won't help, they'll just sit on your application until they get a feel for the cohort quality that year.

You can make it to the top end schools with a 2.2, the question is whether there is anything in your profile that makes you the very best of that applicant pot AND demonstrates you are up the the normal entry standards. That's ultimately something only the admissions staff for that course can judge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending